Game art style suggestions for next game?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by bigbadbrush, Oct 9, 2010.

1. bigbadbrush

bigbadbrush Well-Known Member

We're a small indie studio that's about to start on our second game but we're stuck on what 'art style' to go with. Our first game was very colorful with lots of funky characters, but we're debating going all dark and artistic for the second game. Let's say Tim Burton meets Monet.

However, in the world of colorful iphone games, is that a risk worth taking? Will it get drowned within the hundreds of thousands of games?

Here's the trailer and style of our first game:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pOIHmMa7dk

Any feedback greatly appreciated!
    bbb - www.bigbadbrush.com

2. thegrave

thegrave Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2010
    I'd love a dark and artistic game... of course it would depend on the premise of the game. Any ideas thus far?

I think though color may attract the eye, a great game is still a great game and will still get exposure.

3. Qordobo

Qordobo Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    In no way I have any idea of what would be the best com approach. My feeling is being different than the mass can help a lot but if you get out of the mood of time this can penalize too.

Remind me the RPG that is coming from people with an artistic approach, at least it's their purpose, can't remind me the name.

For getting drowned within the hundreds of thousands of games... Alas it's the fate of most games released on iphone. For sure an original stunning graphic style can help a good game emerge but is it the best way, no idea. I'd say that hyper realistic with some style could have a better chance to attract the attention but myself I prefer a more original approach.

4. bigbadbrush

I agree, a great game is definitely a great game. We're still brainstorming at this point. Have been throwing ideas around ranging from puzzles to action. Still in the early phases.

5. Nullroar

Nullroar Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Software Rep, Rhyme Guru, Game Editor
    Munich
    Create a dichotomy between art and theme.

If the plot and theme are dark and serious, use cartoony art.

This has seen wild success. Cartoony zombies, cartoony ninjas, etc.

Conversely, why not go with something that hasn't been done (to my knowledge)?

Go with an incredibly light and jovial plot, funny everything, funny bgs, and then an incredibly dark and serious main character animated with a completely different art style to the point of looking like he/she/it doesn't belong in the game.

Think the "Alien" from the Ridley Scott's classic thrown into teletubby land or something. Yeaaaah.

6. bigbadbrush

Drowned is right. I'm glad Osmos did really well. Such a simple and different looking game. BUT I'm not sure how well they would've done without Apple mentioning them as App of the week. Either way, good advice on staying with the mood of the time otherwise there could be a penalty. I myself also prefer an original approach, as long as it's done right and with high quality.

7. bigbadbrush

Hah Aliens in teletubby world! Awesome.
    Happy tree house friends were wicked too.

8. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    I think it would work. Just recently a game of similar sounding colours was features by Apple. I can't remember it's name but it was a game like Cube Runner with mist and shadowy trees.

9. thegrave

thegrave Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2010
    I like the juxtaposition of cute and dark but think it really needs a valid premise.

@Bigbadrush: I've sent you a PM. Have you seen it yet?

10. bigbadbrush

Thanks for all the feedback.
    @thegrave Just replied to your PM.