iPad Game App Requirements

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by RedStaR, Jan 9, 2009.

1. RedStaR

RedStaR Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    I think the following should be available in any game app upon submission.

-screen flip: One of my favrite games, Fastlane doesn't screen flip. So when playing with headphones in (on iphone) leaves the jack in a terrible position (bottom left corner)

-ipod library accesable: Fastlane and many other apps, but not all. Aloows you to play your music, without having to "fool" the device into playing tracks while keeping sound effects. this should be a feature found on every games app

-sound toggle: most games today have the sound toggle via sound/silent switch, but again most have it not all

-interuption save: Nanosaur 2....well lets just say it took a lot of time and reviews for pangea to finally include auto-save or a pick up feature to one of their best titles, in which your constantly flying through the whole game.
    But hey the tire was out for decades before someone invented fix-a-flat.
    case and point.....with calls and or text we there needs to be some kind of save system for each title, preferably pick where you left off.

sum up: I'd imagine some of these features might not be available with every app because perhaps the app in question might have been made strictly on and ipod so the whole call interuption thing is moot. or perhaps the specific app uses a control scheme based on accelerometer input that won't allow it to be orriented on either said of the device (landscape 180 degrees). now maybe some of these things are a programing restriction, however these are the four hard options/features i check first with any new app. i think these features greatly improve on its playable life and it's fight for it's spot on the home screen.

how does anyone eles feel about these issues.

2. istopmotion

istopmotion Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    I don't know how likely any of this is, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be nice.

What I really want is a tilt calibration and on/off option for all games. I'd like the accelerometer to have an option for the iPhone in general so that you can turn it off/on. Sometimes I accidentally turn my iPod too much and the app I'm using will go into landscape mode when I don't want it to. Just a little annoying, but not a big deal.

3. Everydaynormalguy

Everydaynormalguy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Student By Day, Masked Vigilante By Night
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    Yeah, that's a good "list" you got there. This kid superbad made something similar a while ago but can't find it.
    PS: aren't you that guy that people got mad at for hatin' on Snail Mail? Haha, good stuff.

4. superbad

superbad Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    CEO. Reviewer. Beta Tester.
    You need to stalk me?
  5. RedStaR

Jan 7, 2009
    LoL yes i'm the snail mail guy/antagonist.

I agree....acceleromerter calibration should be a must for any app almost entierly based on that input.

Ironman isn't the best game but i do think it has one of the best calibration options i seen in the app store

6. Everydaynormalguy

Oct 5, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    Yep, that's the one I was talking about. I agreed with that thread so much I didn't even troll in it. How's that for support?

@RedStar:

LOL. Snail Mail IS childish. I can't believe I wasn't a part of that *sigh*...

7. superbad

Nov 6, 2008
    You need to stalk me?
    And that was before the RULES got implemented... that means something to EDNG haterz ;)

8. RedStaR

Jan 7, 2009
    just check out superbad thread: you said some funny but very true things.
    like app name legnth LoL

well maybe if enough people keep making threads like these,
    these features will be standard issue

9. superbad

Nov 6, 2008
    You need to stalk me?
    My god. I cannot even put into words to download a game and see that "...". It makes me want to kill myself.

I mean you go into loops and holes into programming apps/games and you DONT KNOW about the ten character limit? :mad:

10. Everydaynormalguy

Oct 5, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    I hate the ones with the black background the most. It just ruins the whole fu%^#%$ iPod screen/page...

11. superbad

Nov 6, 2008
    You need to stalk me?
    or the ones that are just horrendous even a p33n icon would beat it

12. RedStaR

Jan 7, 2009
    yeah i don't get how some of the smallest things get left out of all that development.
    although i'm guessing they have the icon info on the screen berfore it gets submitted and they just leave it that way out of preferance.
    because it's not like the icon is going to be a total mystery before it's submitted

13. People don't pay enough attention to what EDNG says to hate him! He talks bo**o**s at the best of times.

14. istopmotion

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    How come you never troll in my threads? :confused: Maybe it's because I always make 'good' threads, lol :cool:

And yeah, I hate seeing the "..." thing too. I have all my games in alphabetical order (lol :p) and Inotia was really making me mad since it said something like "TheChr...eanor". Very annoying. (They finally fixed it to say "Inotia" for the latest update.)

Another thing that I find quite frustrating is when a game or app asks me to use Settings from the iPhone to use the game options. I think iCopter does this, and I ended up deleting it for that very reason.

15. Everydaynormalguy

Oct 5, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    I couldn't have said it better myself (mainly because I have no idea what you've just said in them there asterisks. But hey, tomorrow is just the future yesterday)

Do you even make any threads? I can't recall.

I think devs who put the "..." are making a homage to me since I end all my posts like that...

16. istopmotion

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    #16 istopmotion, Jan 9, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
    Yeah, I don't know what he said either. :p

I used to make threads when I was online more, but I've been really busy with school/work and haven't been on much.

Oh, and is there a way you can change the names of the apps? I just thought of that. Maybe in the iTunes folder or whatever? That could fix the "..." issue. (or maybe not, but I don't think it hurts to ask.)

17. superbad

Nov 6, 2008
    You need to stalk me?
    what's hidden behind ***

18. Everydaynormalguy

Oct 5, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    You guys seriously don't know? Wow, I'm not surprised but still, wow.
    So I take it this thread has gone down the crapper. That's two threads I've ruined today, my personal best...

19. You guys honestly don't know? "ll" "ck". Must be just a UK thing :)

20. Come now- surely not, hmm?