iPad Galcon Online - Touch Arcade Users

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by alza, Oct 25, 2008.

1. alza

alza Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2008
    Ok, so my most used app is definitely Galcon. I mean, I've probably spent 10 hours on the thing, and I've never even tried the offline modes. I love the way that it perfectly balances luck (starting near big, cheap planets) with skill and even mathematics.
    What I've noticed lately is that I keep bumping into the same players online ('Blue I'm On Your Side' I'm talking to you).
    While I'm not 100 % sure whether this is the right place to start this thread, I wondered whether there're any other Touch Arcade users who play their fair share of Galcon online that I might have bumped into...
    I thought perhaps we could say our Galcon name and rank, and if anyone's really keen, set up a match or two to see who truly rules Touch Arcade.
    So I'll kick things off:
    Alza123 is my username, and I'm currently ranked as an Admiral.
    Please, this is my first thread, so if you have anything to say, let's not make this awkward for me - contribute :)

2. Everydaynormalguy

Everydaynormalguy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Student By Day, Masked Vigilante By Night
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    #2 Everydaynormalguy, Oct 25, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2008
    Galcon sucks. I played the Lite version and deleted it within minutes. "Oh my god look at the triangles, wait!, now i got more triangles!" I don't see why everyone likes this game...

EDIT: sorry about the typo...

3. alza

alza Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2008
    Hmmm. I can understand that, but to explain I'm going to have to admit I told a white lie above ;)
    I have played offline, and found it to be really a dry experience. The computer is pretty predictable, and all that changes the speed it makes decisions, from what I can tell.
    After about five minutes of that, I went online, and have never looked back.
    It's just incredible, trust me on that.
    You have to make sure that you do not expand too quickly, or a wily opponent will know your forces are spread, and eliminate you.
    But you have to expand, because planets generate the 'triangles' you're talking about, and obviously those are the whole point of the game.
    I'm an international relations student, and I think this game is a really good metaphor for a realist approach to military power - people never decide to live in peace in Galcon. Peace is only temporary, and the wish to expand sees war break out again. If you have access to a wireless network then seriously you should be playing this online

4. Everydaynormalguy

Everydaynormalguy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Student By Day, Masked Vigilante By Night
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    Sounds reasonable. Still, u know what's better than triangles? Circles...I dont know what it is about a circle but it just feels right, you know?

5. alza

alza Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2008
    It has those too... But seriously. Rank and name. I'm keen to prove I own these pages - Armbruster! Bring it, Galcon-style

6. mek

mek Well-Known Member

#6 mek, Oct 25, 2008
    user name: mek

65% win ratio lieutenant (i use to be ranked higher (admiral) but it looks like the server reset and i dont play it as much as i initially did)

7. networkman

networkman Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2008
    toronto, canada
    galaxyman.

Anytime... I play on a regular basis.

Good game. Like the triangles. HAHA.
    :p

8. tunawrap

tunawrap Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2008
    Username: Wabaam
    D: LOL well i'm not bad i just dont play so much, kinda like maybe 15 rounds per week.

9. alza

alza Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2008
    Excellent. I've played you before. You might not remember. I would have been the one you destroyed

10. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    I'm Your Mom, or YourMom. I forget which.

11. CloneWars

CloneWars Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Bank Robber
    Atlantic Ocean
    #11 CloneWars, Oct 25, 2008
    Im dablob
    Havent played since its release but im starting to get abck into it:)

12. alza

alza Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2008
    Good as. I recall some epic past battles

13. Haephestos

Haephestos Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2008
    Username: Haephestos

Love galcon
    Just got into multiplayer and love it.

14. stiggybird

stiggybird Member

Oct 25, 2008
    Student
    Perth, Australia
    My username is stiggybird.

I used to play quite a bit and got up to one stripe, but now I think I'm just a blue flag.

I'm looking forward to the new ranking system where you won't have to play as much to keep your ranking high.

Great game though, I think it's the most played game on my phone.

15. vaelsh

vaelsh Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Rexburg, ID
    Hey I love this game! I just don't play online very much. That is why my rank is at the lowest level, even though I'm decent at playing it. Username is vaelsh. very surprising isn't it?

16. alza

alza Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2008
    @ stiggybird
    There's a new ranking system?
    Please, explain more

17. stiggybird

stiggybird Member

Oct 25, 2008
    Student
    Perth, Australia
    A few weeks ago they ran a competition for people to come up with the best new ranking system. The new ranking system is sort-of discussed here on the galcon forums.

http://www.galcon.com/forums/14/20/1022/

If you go to this webpage

http://www.galcon.com/iphone/ranks.php?detail=1&limit=10000

it shows the ranks, with the new ranking score in the 'score' column. But it doesnt sort by these ranks yet. I remember reading on one of the posts somewhere that the new system takes into account around your last 200 games, so you wont drop as far if you stop playing a lot (unlike the current system which only considers games from the last ten days).

18. alza

alza Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2008
    Ahh. Cheers for that :)

19. Coral

Coral Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    I am coral, though I don't play much and am not highly ranked. I think I will start playing the multiplayer more, though the single player has kept me occupied. Great game for anyone thinking of buying it.

20. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I'm Crunc on Galcon. There was a period where I played a fair amount, but haven't as much recently. I think it's a great game, but I think I got burnt out. I'll get back to it eventually, and do play on occasion now.