Universal Galaxy on Fire 3 - Manticore (By FISHLABS)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Tobi@Fishlabs

Tobi@Fishlabs Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2012
    I don't think an offline mode is an option here, sorry. The game has been conceived, designed and developed as an online title and you cannot just flick a switch an make it offline. Sorry.

2. senkoujin

senkoujin Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2013
    Affirmation

Thank you for taking the time to answer the inquiry.

3. jkilla

jkilla Active Member

Oct 16, 2008
    I can't play across my devices?? Logged in on my phone via Facebook and says account is already linked by another player... Yeah, ME. WTF??? I wanted to play on my phone and ipad, I can't share a single account. I'm trying really hard to like this game but they sure are making it difficult.

4. brerlappin

brerlappin Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2009
    Hi Tobi-

1. How long will Manticore Rising be free on Apple TV?

2. On iPhone 6, the turbo boost blur is missing but works fine on iPad Air 2... is that normal?

Thanks!

5. senkoujin

senkoujin Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2013
    Do benevolent companies exist?

Hey L.Lawliet, sorry for my delayed reply!

Let's say the developer has already earned a full return + surplus on the project investment, and has enough money to remove the online-only DRM, add new IAPs, and release the game as a separate PREMIUM priced full game (maybe $7.99 USD) while at the same time having enough money to not only pay for all development costs without hassle (assured assets), but also enough to start a completely new project (for the future).

Do you think, for the sake of improving PR, customer satisfaction, and relationships with long-time fans of the franchise, that they would consider doing this?

6. Tobi@Fishlabs

Sep 26, 2012
    [​IMG]

BTW, here's a lil' easter egg. Our Director is a huge Iron Maiden fan, so he paid hommage to the band by placing the Aces High Bar from the "Somewhere In Time" album cover in the neon-lit orbit of Neo Vegas. If you traverse that part of space, keep your eyes open for those red halo billboards. ;)

7. Palanthian

Palanthian Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2016
    #87 Palanthian, Dec 13, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
    GoF3 Revisited

On release day I delivered a fairly harsh review of this game. After spending so much time discussing it in the "other thread", I decided to revisit this and try to be more fair/objective.

Here is my feedback after playing for 3-4 days. Forget the "3" in the title, this is taken from the point of view that the first two games never existed, and this is a BRAND NEW game/franchise.

With that in mind, the game makes a positive first impression. The production values are excellent. The graphics are as good as I've seen on my iPad Pro, and better than most.

The controls are also good for me (I've never been a fan of tilt controls). It's a fairly smooth experience, and I don't have any trouble navigating to waypoints or shooting down enemy ships. Personally, I would not have put the auto-fire and aim assist options in the game, this would have made it a little more "serious" and skill-oriented. Because those options exist, and they make the game so much easier, you end up using them as a crutch to maximise your progression - which is essential in these kinds of games. However, this is not a deal-breaker.

The voice acting, especially during missions, is a really nice touch. Sometimes the voice is a little behind the action, telling me to clean up the remaining ships after I've already killed them all, this could be improved for the sake of immersion. I'd also like my little robot friend to communicate with me more during missions, honestly this is something rather unique to this game and it should be exploited to the full. It makes you feel like you're not alone in space.

The missions initially brought me to the point of uninstalling. I have overcome this urge for now. I didn't realise at first that I should be chasing the blue contract missions, instead I thought the exploration missions were required to progress the main story. The exploration missions are boring, there's no other way to put it - I spent 20-30 minutes searching for glowing boxes with nothing more than a drone to tell me whether I'm getting closer or farther away. This was my first experience on my own after the tutorial, and it was VERY negative. Players need to be guided to the FUN stuff first. Maybe I'll be happy to grind the exploration later, though I still think these missions need serious work.

Tobi@Fishlabs, here are the issues that occurred to me as a seasoned freemium gamer (in no particular order):

1. Tweak the tutorial to point the player to the more fun contract missions, explain what the different mission types are and explain what exploration is for (and deter players from doing exploration first).

2. Tweak the voice-overs to better integrate with the gameplay, sort out the timing, include more variation. This is one of the aspects of the game that I really liked, and I haven't seen this done well elsewhere.

3. The Manticore deck (home screen) feels dead. Replace the static 2D UI with an animated 3D environment and models, so that when you return to the Manticore you feel like you're "somewhere", rather than looking at a standard game UI. Also, I don't need to see the intro movie every time I start the game, only the very first time. I know it can be skipped, but it's an extra tap every time.

4. While we're talking about the UI, there are 4 icons for ship upgrades, and it's not clear to me what they all do. I've been upgrading these "things" rather blindly, just assuming they will make my ship better. The UI needs to communicate this information when you tap on them, it's no fun upgrading something when you don't know what it does. The player should know what's being upgraded, which stat increases and by how much.

5. Back to the tutorial, and I've seen other games do this to great effect - I think you should give the player a fully maxed out end-game ship for the opening mission, then have the ship destroyed or whatever at the end of the mission. This gives the player a taste for what they can possibly achieve if they are willing to grind (or pay) for it. As it stands, I've played for a few days and still don't even have any rockets that can lock onto enemy ships (I'm assuming they exist). Let the player experience something cool that they want, which gives them the urge to play on and achieve it.

6. The missions need more work, more variation. They're not all bad, but they can be very repetitive. I also find the in-game cutscenes very disruptive. For example, I have to take out some drones and I start flying towards the first wave. I've locked onto my first target, I'm about to fire, then I get a sudden cutscene showing me a close-up of the drone (which I've already seen 50 times by now). Please, no more in-game cutscenes after you've seen them the first time, it breaks up the flow of the game and spoils immersion. Everyone knows what a drone looks like after they've done the mission once. If you have to do these close-up shots, make an in-cockpit "monitor" which appears in a corner somewhere, don't take the pilot out of his cockpit!

7. You've got in-app purchases all the way up to whale level, like the biggest freemium games. What makes me spend in those games, however, is getting ahead - of OTHER PEOPLE. That's why people spend on freemium, it's because they see what other players have got and want to join the party. This is the single biggest issue I can see for making this game a financial success, I can't see the benefit for spending. I can enjoy the space combat at a low level, there's nobody I'm trying to keep up with or beat. I think this game desperately needs some kind of PVP, probably asynchronous if that's all the technology will allow, and a leaderboard of sorts.

At the moment, this is just a single player game with exceptionally expensive IAP. Only multiplayer can justify those prices.

I'm a long-standing GoF fan, so I'm going to stick with this for now. I'm also interested to see where it goes. I hope the feedback here will be helpful, Tobi, as I'd like to see the game become the commercial success the franchise deserves. :)

8. jati

jati Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 5, 2013
    Wow, Palanthian, great feedback! You saved me a lot of time. :D I hope Toby shows up and passes this on to the developers. I can wholeheartedly sign all of that.

9. Tobi@Fishlabs

Sep 26, 2012
    Of course, I'll show up here again. And of course I'm gonna pass such great, detailed feedback on to our development team. I think there are a lot of valid points raised in Palanthian's post. Some of them, such as more mission variety, are already in the works. Others, such as leaderboards (e.g. most missions flown, most enemies taken down, record times for sprints, etc) I would personally love to see in the game at some point, hopefully rather soon than late. And yet again others, such as the UI twitches, did not strike me as mandatory so far, but will surely be worth looking into anyway.

Generally, it is our plan to constantly build upon the foundation we have lain with the launch version and add A LOT more content, features and assets over time. Unlike GOF2, we will not only do this with one paid add-on per year, but we will approach it as an ongoing process and constantly improve and expand GOF3 during live operation.

10. wedge598

wedge598 Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2013
    Great feedback above. I agree with all of it. As a long time fan of the series I too have been giving this a try the past few days.

I'm actually not turned off by the restructuring and F2P system. I would welcome a good solid GOF game restructured in this manner with some quick missions and ship collecting and upgrading.

The biggest turn offs for me right now are as follows:
    1) the controls. I really miss the tilt controls and more complete control of your ship in the 3D environment. The controls are just too dumbed down and completely blow the immersion in my opinion.
    2) the lack of insentive to keep playing. It would be nice to tease the player with a shipyard to view the other ships you can upgrade to. The grind is slow and with no idea when you'll get a new blueprint it seems pointless a lot of the time.

11. jkilla

jkilla Active Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Can't link account to other devices?

So if I lose my phone or buy a new one I have to start all over? I've been unable to link my account to another device, does anyone know how? Seems really odd for this type of game. Sorry if I've missed something obvious.

12. Ikeda

Ikeda Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Largo, FL
    They have the option to login through their Fishlabs account.

13. conscript

conscript Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Jul 25, 2012
    Can anyone explain what is the benefit to adding wingmen as friends? As it stands now, the randomly added wingmen seem to get the job done.

14. MistaBoz

MistaBoz Active Member

Mar 8, 2013
    As you progress, the wingmen you have access to get better. You will want to switch them so they don't die on harder difficulties.

15. conscript

conscript Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Jul 25, 2012
    Thanks for the reply MistaBoz. I get that switching them out should give you wingmen with better stats, but does the same apply if I add them as a freind?

16. Leo281993

Leo281993 Member

Aug 1, 2013
    Was browsing the bundles in the shop and I accidentally tapped on one I did not want to buy. Instantly purchased it without asking me for confirmation. I was saving up my Mhaan-Tiq to buy the blood star. Thanks Fish Labs. I consider this a dirty way to grab money from your players. A confirmation should be a common courtesy when spending premium currency.

17. Artfoundry

Artfoundry Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    COO and Creative Director at LCD Dreams, Inc.
    Bay area, CA
    Really disappointed in this game after having loved GoF2. This just isn't the same thing at all. It definitely feels like a freemium version but with flying the ship in combat instead of the galaxy domination freemium title they released last. Main character has no personality/persona at all, storyline is very minimal, no trading or mining, no open world, no shipyards. Just a bunch of very similar missions and occasional "bosses" (which aren't even that difficult). And there's the area exploration missions, but in addition to them being extremely dull, I don't understand what they're for. Then there's the AI who chimes in here and there - she's probably the most interesting element of the game, yet she's just there for flavor text/audio.

I would so much rather have had a proper paid sequel with the great storyline, voice acting, and gameplay from the second game. Even the first GoF was more interesting than this. #

18. Polymorphicspector

Sep 25, 2014
    Is there going to be an update that fixes stuttering and crashing on iPad Air 1? It happens during the main missions almost every time I try them, so I end up trying them at least twice, sometimes three times to finish them. And also during the regular missions as well, it usually stutters then crashes, during cutscenes and when there is a lot of action going on. Just wondering, I am still enjoying the game since I last posted. I was also wondering about the log in bonuses, where did those go? I noticed in the beginning it only had 15 days, I thought it would reset every month but it hasn't yet. Is this a bug?

19. Kotovsky

Kotovsky Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Would be great to improve search for stuff missions, as they are boring.

20. Tobi@Fishlabs

Sep 26, 2012
    Cheers, guys & sorry for the silence. Hope you all had a great start into the new year! We just released our first update of 2017, adding accelerometer controls. Enjoy this new way of steering your ship through the stunning orbits of the Neox Sector! :)

http://gph.is/2i0uaDB