Universal Galaxy on Fire 3 - Manticore (By FISHLABS)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Spartyfan6262

Spartyfan6262 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2015
    Unlike most in this thread, I really enjoy this game. But the fact that is online only and will eventually shut down - making this game essentially a rental - guarantees that I won't waste any money at all on this game. I just prefer actual ownership of something I spend money on.

2. diabolus

diabolus Well-Known Member

May 18, 2009
    Photographer
    Switzerland
    I belong to the first and original generation of people who used SonyEricsson K800i with J2ME and Nokia N95 8GB with Symbian and I played Galaxy on Fire days and nights. It was wonderful. Both 1 and 2.

I cannot understand what happened now with Galaxy on Fire 3.
    This cannot even be called Galaxy on Fire.
    What is wrong with you developers?

3. Gunther4C

Gunther4C Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2013
    This game is broken, no and I mean LITERALLY, not my opinion. Every time I play and close the app I get reset to the tutorial and have to lose 30 premium currency and 1,000's of gold multiple times. I played for a straight hour yesterday, closed the app aaaaaand back to the tutorial to lose more currency. Broken.

4. Gunther4C

Oct 20, 2013
    Holy crap te exploration missions are the most boring thing I've ever done on my life

5. Spartyfan6262

Jan 4, 2015
    I'm not sure what to do in those missions.

6. dunhila

dunhila Well-Known Member

May 6, 2016
    Explore until your drone starts blinking from red to green in order to indicate how close you are to an object of interest-box or intelligence. :)

7. Ikeda

Ikeda Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Largo, FL
    If you turn your sound on, the pinging intensifies as you get closer. But with all the grided areas most of the boxes are hidden in between areas. The most efficient way I found is to fly at it from all six directions and look for the glowing.

8. dunhila

May 6, 2016
    Yeah I don't completely rely on the drone.It just shows that the exploration feature was rushed and not properly tested making the exploration much more confusing for most people.

9. Gunther4C

Oct 20, 2013
    Exploration mode sucks

10. Spartyfan6262

Jan 4, 2015

Thanks, guys

11. Polymorphicspector

Sep 25, 2014
    Having played/replaying GoF2 I understand why a lot of people are upset about GoF3. I have been playing GoF3 for several hours and while the free to play is a jarring at first, I think the implimentation is mostly fair.

I do not mind the fact that you have to be online to play because there is no energy bar. The games I have played require online and have energy bars. Yes there are timers, but I just play another game until they are finished, I think of it as "ok I should probably take a break and do something else" not "ugh this is why I hate free to play". My opnion on free to play depends on how it is implimented. On the otherhand I do enjoy paid games, but since the market is not what it was 3 to 4 years ago developers need some way to make money. The exploration "missions" or whatever you want to call them are a little confusing, mostly because of the drone, but I still enjoy flying around. The actual missions/contracts are enjoyable, and you can do those as many times as you want (yay no energy bar). While I do miss the open world of GoF2, GoF3 has its own merits. It would be nice if they added in a tutorial or explanation of how the drone works, added more things to find/do while exploring, and maybe bringing back the mining aspecpt. I know you are a mercenary in GoF3 but adding options like trading and mining would give the player more options. You are still apart of Manticore but you cauld choose between being a mercenary, trader, or miner. At this point it may be too much to impliment since it might require a huge overhaul to the system that is currently in place. At least do something with the exploration part of the game.

Overall, GoF3 has its merits and I like it for what it is.

12. Ikeda

Ikeda Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Largo, FL
    But here's the history and why it matters:

The Dev's didn't have this feature. It was a request by US in the community. WE wanted exploration. But when I say exploration, I kind of expected stuff around a system. But not a hide and go seek game for parts. I assumed it would be like "black holes" or "space anomoly's".

BUT, all our negativity towards it is going to inspire a kickback from the Dev's "Well, we're not going to listen to them anymore" and that needs to be watched. Because they actually did this for us, I just wish that it would have been a little more thought out.

13. olon97

olon97 Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2015
    Enjoying the game on the whole.

Pros:
    - No hard pay wall in the first Act so far (just 4 bosses left).
    - Main storyline provides variety / story.
    - Enemies become more varied, require adjustments to tactics after a while.
    - If you're grinding without paying $, you end up with more of the basic currency than you need (topped 100k recently)
    - Premium currency builds up gradually, and I had enough on hand to buy a 75% off sale with what I had earned in-game.
    - Nice graphics.

Cons:
    - Retry/ressurrect tokens are scarce if not using real money. This means if you push the story too fast (e.g. Challenge yourself) you can end up with no ressurrect tokens. At which point, you grind until you can overpower the next level without using extra lives. My choice was to grind from the start so I could hold onto ressurrect tokens, which has made much of the missions far too easy (not fun).
    - Some of the grind missions fail if some NPC/object takes too much damage, forcing you to use a Retry token when your ship hasn't been defeated. I avoid those mission types, but that means grinding is restricted to one of 3 "safe" mission types (Cargo, Assasinate, Biohazard)
    - Given the above point (and even without), grinding is REPETITIVE. The setting changes, the enemy ship types and attack patterns change, but the mission steps are constant.
    - The rare blueprint materials are a bit too rare. This is probably intended to force you to open your wallet, but if not it feels like trying to feed yourself using income from one free lotto Scratch card per day.
    - Even if you're open to spending real money, most of the purchase options feel like terrible values (subjective compared to previous f2p experience with Future Fight and Dungeon Hunter 5). Exception being the one 75% off sale that I've seen so far. They should offer a daily premium credits over 1 month package with a much better credit/dollar ratio than the default purchases.
    - Exploring feels like an afterthought. Rewards are underwhelming to say the least. To be fair, I only got one system to 100% explored (no bonus for that), and stopped. Maybe the fancier cargo crates get better, but I can't bring myself to check.

I've played GOF1&2. Agree that using "3" created implied expectations that aren't met in this game (personally I miss trading routes). But hey, I'm still playing it anyway...

14. dunhila

May 6, 2016
    I guess we could be more supportive.They did add the feature because of us,they did remove the repair timer because of us but the game had to be released in the end,they couldn't redo all the stuff we wanted.That is why I am glad Tobi has said that new features and content will come to the game after release and who know in a couple of months this game could be the GOF3 we wanted.

One thing I want to give a special shout out for is the fact that they are going to release the game on Android too.They are working hard on testing various android devices and will deliver the game after the testing is done.They listened to android fans too,so they deserve a thumbs up for this.

I will purchase a game package to show extra support to the developers and I still wish them the best even though a lot of people think it is my job to try and destroy their hard work,something I still don't understand since I have nothing to gain from such actions.

15. davegobe

davegobe Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Chemist
    Cleveland, OH
    I can identify an item with the drone, but how do I collect it? I keep flying by it & no luck.

16. jati

jati Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 5, 2013
    You basically fly through these objects to collect them.

17. EvilDucktator

EvilDucktator 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Sep 28, 2011
    Walt Disney World Cast Member
    Brisbane, Australia
    How long to finish GOF/GOF2? Am I missing out on anything not playing them first? Since they are both free-to-play should I play through things chronologically?

18. Nonstickron

Nonstickron Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Graphic Artist / Pre-Press
    Central Florida
    You should play 2. It's much better than 3, if slightly dated. 3 is prettier but doesn't hold a candle to the scope of 2.

19. Tobi@Fishlabs

Tobi@Fishlabs Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2012
    You don't need to play the first two GOF games at all to enjoy GOF3. There are quite a few homages to the old games in the new game, which will hopefully make veteran players smile, but they are not essential to follow the story and understand what's going on. Also, I am pretty sure the "wrong expectation" thingie goes both ways... people who played and enjoyed GOF2 will probably miss some of their fave features in GOF3. But on the other hand, people who played GOF3 first and then moved back to GOF2 because others said it was better, will most likely find GOF2, erm, very slow. ;)

Awesome! Thanks a lot for your support. And you are absolutely right. We will continue to build on the foundation we have laid with the launch version. There's a lot more to come. I cannot promise or announce anything yet, but we definitely also want to add more stuff that pleases the GOF2 veterans.

20. senkoujin

senkoujin Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2013
    ATN: Tobi@Fishlabs

Hello again Tobi@Fishlabs,

I know you've probably been busy at the office as of late, but I have made an inquiry that requires your attention. Please refer to my previous post in this topic:

HERE: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=3947339&postcount=52

Looking forward to hearing from you again.