Universal Galaxy on Fire 3 - Manticore (By FISHLABS)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Ikeda

Ikeda Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Largo, FL
    I'm curious who made the decision that for an exploration mission to have a set of cube containers all looking exactly alike. You have a robot that is constantly pinging. You start to get close, then you let go of your steering for a second and your ship reorients itself to a completely different heading so you've officially lost your place when you have to explore what is essentially a maze.

2. Serenityinaz12

Serenityinaz12 Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2015
    Never played the other games so went into this open minded. Thought it was pretty cool until I had done about 15 missions. Then I uninstalled. Super boring and repetitive

3. Unstablefan

Unstablefan Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Feb 22, 2013
    Just finished the tutorial and got logged in. I remember reading in the beta thread that an open exploration mode had been added, but I don't see a button for it. Anyone able to help?

4. dunhila

dunhila Well-Known Member

May 6, 2016
    It's in mission form,it is not like the GOF2 freeroam version.You have exploration missions in GOF3 where you can collect intelligence and these boxes that give you credits/ingame currency.

5. Stronsay

Stronsay Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2015
    Brilliant game. Lots of missions, exploration and upgrades. Ships handle well and auto-fire is a great help. The amazing graphics are a real work of art. I seem to be in a minority of one.

6. Unstablefan

Unstablefan Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Feb 22, 2013
    Ooooh, thank you.

7. conscript

conscript Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Jul 25, 2012
    May have found an issue with these. I went to the 'Nathan Hale' wreak field which has 1 container and 4 intelligence pickups. I am only able to the find 2 of the 4 intelligence pickups. I have flown all around the sector to the point of exiting the search area and still have not found them.

8. Tobi@Fishlabs

Tobi@Fishlabs Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2012
    Cheers, Stronsay! Glad to hear you're enjoying the game. And while some people here on the forums are indeed pretty critical of GOF3, there's also many others out there who like it. We're getting lots of great App Store ratings across the globe as well as raving reviews from leading (mobile) games media. So there's always two sides to it. :)

Nevertheless, it is of course always a bummer to read that people are disappointed with GOF3. But tastes differ and we are glad for any opinion we get to hear, be it positive or negative. We will read all user feedback carefully and, if possible, think of ways to make our game more appealing to those who aren't having the best of times with it at the moment. In the past, we already removed repair timers, added exploration, brought back legacy ships and provided more mission variety, among others. And we got a lot more stuff up out sleeves. Stay tuned, our journey's only just begun!

9. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Thanks for the detailed directions, but it looks like I missed it by a couple of hours. :(

Is there a way to skip the tutorial in case I decide to spin this up on another device?

10. Spartyfan6262

Spartyfan6262 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2015

11. conscript

Patreon Gold

Jul 25, 2012
    Never mind. Found them all. The cubes are actually very bright compared to everything else. Once you get used to seeing them, the probe is not really necessary.

I find the repetitiveness of the hunt and collect nature of these oddly soothing.

12. senkoujin

senkoujin Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2013
    The journey has just begun...

Tobi, still ever-valiant; you're good at your job, so keep up the good work. Since you stated that this is only the beginning, and the journey has just began, I would like for you to be honest and upfront; you may need to get your hands dirty, but I need you to answer these questions:

Question #1
    Is there at least a 0.01% chance that this project's systems analyst and design team would consider implementing OFFLINE play as a feasible function?

Question #2
    With this project's large size and scope, when the inevitable decision to shut the servers down in the future comes to pass, is there at least a 0.01% chance that DEEP SILVER FISHLABS would have already implemented a measure to preserve the game's functional playability by removing/modifying all aspects of the previously implemented server dependency so that the game could still be played as a standalone completed offline game (with new relevant IAPs for additional revenue flow)?

13. phred

phred Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    I finally got the hang of these "search" missions, and I'm pretty sure I hate them already. They're just boring, hit or miss time wasters. If I'm going to have to do this as part of the normal grind for this game, I can't see it maintaining my interest.

14. RoboWarrior

RoboWarrior Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2012
    Is anyone having issues with the game? Every time I quit the game then open it later it reverts to the tutorial in acquiring a plasma weapon and is draining my premium credits. In addition I still haven't got the beta ship despite having logged in and had a pop up saying I should have it in my garage (the other credits and premium stuff I got just not the ship). The website is taking a while to load for me so wondering if their servers are being hammered.

15. conscript

Patreon Gold

Jul 25, 2012
    I thought the ship was just a re-skin. When I got my rewards, the ship changed from plain old grayish/tanish to tan with red.

16. ZorakZoran

ZorakZoran Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2010
    France
    Yes, have the same opinion, really curious how it ended in the game, that's some really boring chore, and yes, you'll have to do this. A lot. So not only is the game a letdown for people wanting a proper sequel to gof 2, but they managed to include this boring mess in a otherwise quite nice f2p. I never play f2p for long, cause the paywalls are a no go for me, but they managed to bore me to death before even getting there.

17. RoboWarrior

RoboWarrior Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2012
    I didn't notice a difference with my ship color's so I guess my issues still stands. I'll log in later and see if its a server issue.

18. Jakeopp

Jakeopp Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2012
    Thoughts so far after a couple hours..

- The graphics look great, the core gameplay(flying, shooting) is pretty well done although kind of simplified

- The missions feel like a repetitive grind. It's literally just, get transported to location, kill baddies, leave. Not much story behind them.

- Like many others I would have enjoyed more of an open world/free roam environment but that's probably out of the picture.

If the missions became less repetitive i could see myself playing this for a while, otherwise i don't see it lasting too long in my rotation.

19. jimmyfangers

jimmyfangers New Member

Dec 10, 2016
    #59 jimmyfangers, Dec 10, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
    I would hope for more ways to interact with other players somehow. There isn't even a global chat system. gameplay is repetitive indeed, no personal customization aside from blueprints... narrative feels bland, and the core gameplay is not nearly as immersive as GOF2.

20. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    I seriously doubt they would. Most companies use online only to protect their money interests, they rarely ever go backwards. By the time servers need to be shut down I don't think they'd invest the time, money, or resources to make it offline available because there's no more money to be made. Then the projects go full circle and the next online game is produced (which is the basic life cycle of a f2p game).