Universal Galaxy on Fire 3 - Manticore (By FISHLABS)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Dec 7, 2016.

1. ironsam80

ironsam80 Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Of course not... For a game that you can play whenever you want and needs internet only for rankings or for multiplayer events (means occasionally) is totally fine... on this and on any platform. But when needs, to contact server, when you are entering the game, upgrading your ship, your guns, when entering a mission or even when you finish a mission (means a handful of times) then yes is a little bit annoying...
    I don't know if has the same content with Switch version but i am totally satisfied with the ios version content already... but a limitation is a limitation even for 2-3-100 dollars (price doesn't matter but the higher the worst)...
    I am hoping for an internet-free version as Gameloft did with Spider-Man 2 back in the days, but in any case, till then i will enjoy this version... unfortunately not when i want... but when i can.
    So... time to go back on my Civ VI campaign until i will be near to my wifi...

Sincerely

2. gus1

gus1 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2009
    Thanks for toftt. Bummer that it requires internet connection still. I'd buy the premium game in a heartbeat if it didn't require internet connection. Hopefully the devs will consider removing the online requirement to those that bought the premium game. Bought the Switch version on day one and played the heck out of it. Finished the campaign over the first weekend of buying it. Downloaded the ios version, didn't like the freemium aspects and online requirement and as a result barely spent a half hour on it. I'm sure there's alot of old time ios gamers out there lamenting the loss of premium games as F2P has taken over. Oh well, here's hoping this game can be freed from the online requirement!

3. brerlappin

brerlappin Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2009
    #183 brerlappin, May 23, 2018
    Last edited: May 23, 2018
  4. ac166

ac166 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2014
    It’s got the same name, but it’s a very different game. The Apple TV version was more like a demo of the game engine. Still fun but very different.

5. brerlappin

Feb 10, 2009
    Manticore Rising is still available. The new one for Apple TV is the same game as GoF3 but with the Switch name as a separate app for $14.99

6. trystero

trystero Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    So I absolutely played GoF 2 to death. I completely avoided this when I saw IAP timers and a lot of complaints. But now, at the current unlock price, I’m interested.

How does it differs from GoF 2? Still free roam? Mining? Trading? Space station?

7. ac166

ac166 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2014
    Oh sorry! I hadn’t seen the new game! Kinda sucks you have to buy it as a separate app to the iOS version, do you know if saves transfer?

8. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    They’re different games — the one on Apple TV is a sort of prequel to the one on iPhone/iPad.

9. brerlappin

Feb 10, 2009
    Now there are two on AppleTV... the prequel Manticore Rising and the new GoF3 one called Manticore Galaxy on Fire.

10. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Ok, so sounds like I'm not the only one confused by all of this. We emailed Fishlabs to clarify but haven't heard back. So as someone who hasn't played any of the Switch or Apple TV games, this is how I understand things:

Galaxy on Fire - Manticore Rising: A separate prologue that showcased the game engine on Apple TV and provided some additional story ahead of the launch of Galaxy on Fire 3.

Galaxy on Fire 3 - Manticore: The iOS game that was a free to play sequel to the original GoF 1 & 2.

Manticore - Galaxy on Fire: The Nintendo Switch version of Galaxy on Fire 3 for iOS, featuring the same story and visuals but presented in a more straightforward, premium package. This is also the game that just launched on Apple TV.

Now, with the recent update to GoF 3 on iOS, it seems they've renamed the game to simply Galaxy on Fire 3 and have added a premium unlock IAP to the game. From what I can tell this premium unlock removes the game's requirement to play a bunch of Contract Missions in order to gather enough intel to slowly unlock all the parts of the Story campaign. Basically, removing all the grinding and just unlocking the whole campaign from the start, but still retaining most of the free to play elements in terms of upgrades and in-game currency. Even with the premium unlock the iOS version is still not quite the same as the Switch and Apple TV game.

So, can anyone confirm if this is the case? Or do I have it wrong? I dunno why this has to all be so confusing :rolleyes:

11. brerlappin

Feb 10, 2009
    #191 brerlappin, May 24, 2018
    Last edited: May 25, 2018
    It would've been nice if Fishlabs made the Apple TV Manticore - Galaxy on Fire universal for iPad/iPhone and left the original GoF3 as F2P to ensure that iOS got a version closer to the Switch one.

Even though it’s Premium, the iOS version still has too many F2P elements for upgrades and in-game currency which should be removed.

12. brerlappin

Feb 10, 2009
    Anyone know how to restart from the beginning?

Uninstall/reinstall keeps progress.

Thanks!

13. ac166

ac166 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2014
    Oh wow, ok now I’m even more confused haha!

But is it true that none of the games have any mining or trading or exploring elements like gof 2?

14. brerlappin

Feb 10, 2009
    Sadly, it’s true.

15. brerlappin

Feb 10, 2009
    GoF3 Reset Info from FishLabs...

In order to reset your progress, please follow these steps:

- Open the settings menu on your device
    - Look for the game and tap on it
    - Tap on “Maintenance Code”
    - Enter the code 64650
    - Your progress will be deleted

IMPORTANT: If you delete your progress, you will start entirely from scratch. This will also delete the Mhaan-tiq, credits, ships and weapons you might already have purchased. This can’t be undone by us – your achievements, ships and pieces of equipment will be gone.

16. brerlappin

Feb 10, 2009
    Any word from FishLabs?

17. Saucepolicy

Saucepolicy Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Feb 18, 2009
    Crispy ex-game developer

As a GoF2 fan, I believe you will be disappointed. Mission-based, very straightforward. It's not an open-world game. The "exploration" is simply flying around looking for floating objects in the space around the Manticore. Despite being released as a premium title on Switch, it still feels like a F2P game in structure.

18. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Was thinking of redownloading GoF 2 and took at look at this one again. It looks like they removed all IAPs. Can’t jump right to story mode (via IAP) but also can’t buy currency or anything else. Store for IAPs appears completely gone.

There’s still a bunch of currencies but wonder if it’s been rebalanced as well? I played a bit and was able to do a bunch of upgrades. Just wondering if it’s worth the effort now that IAPs are gone.

Anyone played recently?

19. Dilet

Dilet New Member

Jul 10, 2020
    Male
    Dunno, might give it another shot...

But what I think we all want is a successor to GOF2 proper...

20. JindoFox

JindoFox Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    It seems that this game is dead. The servers are shut down, the app is no longer in the store, and even the story mode is unplayable now. I guess I should have appreciated it more when I could play it, but this sucks.