Universal Galaxy on Fire 2 HD - By Fishlabs

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by goiMot, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Magnum0ik

Magnum0ik Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2011
    Insurance Broker
    Portsmouth, England
    I appreciate that. I understand it's the same game with prettier textures and that is the attraction. At the end of the day, the game is fantastic so why change it. Graphics were good anyway and the chance of getting a HD version with much better visuals is very tempting.

2. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    Has anyone tried this game one an iPad 1? I know it's not meant for an iPad 1, I'm just curious as to how it actually performs.

3. Taytay

Taytay Well-Known Member

May 26, 2011
    #63 Taytay, Oct 13, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
    Ok i can confirm that it does in fact work on ipod touch 4g i just bought it for my lil bro & it works fine it even loads fast even though there is a little tiny lag during gameplay it still plays fine & looks good

Im going to download it on my iphone4 & ipad2 & put all 3 devices together to see the real difference

4. chickdigger802

chickdigger802 Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Atlanta GA
    There are alternative 'tricks' to smooth out things.

I'm pretty sure this game will look better eventually, but proper AA will probably not arrive.

Curious how it looks on retina screens and if the jags are less apparent.

5. Pacificsun0481

Pacificsun0481 Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    I'm not against the 4th gen devices running this, but it does irritate me.

Because, if these device owners (who shouldn't be technically able to) start complaining about performance....

Then us new gen owners, get shafted again, to accommodate those with lower end hardware.

I wish Fishlabs had made the game unable to be purchasable to any device other than A5 devices.

As the game (full HD) wasn't intended for A4 and below anyways.

6. fishlabs_games

fishlabs_games Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2009
    Actually, GOF2 HD runs on iPhone 4 and iPod touch 4th gen but the framerate drops too much when you are in a big battle with a lot of action on the screen so we put in the hardware requirements at the bery beginning of the app description text. Unfortunately, on the App Store, there is no way for us to limit the supported devices A5-powered ones. If you happen to know how to do that please let us know!

Cheers,
    Michael

7. ZorakZoran

ZorakZoran Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2010
    France
    No buy for me. I bought Galaxy on Fire 2, the extension, was really pleased by the experience, but 10 dollars for a graphic upgrade ? Hell, no. :/

I'm sorry to sound a little harsh, but I see more and more things in the appstore that bugs me. Games crippled by in-app purchases, paying updates... I know it's the kind of game that doesn't sell in millions, but seeing a developper making this kind of moves... It's sad, because making the game universal was great.

8. Bad Hanson

Bad Hanson Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Somnambulist
    The Westcountry UK
    Bit off topic (you don't have to read on) but I was watching the video and had forgotten how much the voice acting if you can call it that tarnished the game for me. Keith sounds like a goody-goody accountant or a game programmer, so square- and a galaxy away from a Han Solo type. I don't accept the excuse that voice actors are expensive I'm sure there are plenty of people who would have done a waaaay better job for a free copy of the game, (or a six pack) Fishlab's should have auditioned. I'm guessing one of programmers likes the sound of his own voice a bit too much.
    If I was following this guy into battle and had to listen to that though my headset I think I would accidentally press the photon torpedo launch button and smoke his ass. Now a sequel 'Keith on Fire?'...I might buy that for a dollar.

9. BrEaKBEaT

BrEaKBEaT Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2009
    London, UK
    Couldn't agree with that more. Keith over pronounces EVERY line! I'd suggest Fishlabs pop into their local Tesco next time, where they'll find at least 10 people who could do a better job.

On topic, GOF2 is a fantastic game. The visuals blew me away when I first got it for my iphone, then later on iPad 2, where I completed it and bought the addon..... with that in mind, I do feel let down that I'd have to pay full whack again to experience the GFX upgrade. Surely there's a way to give existing GOF2 owners the game at a reduced rate??

10. tonyatf

tonyatf Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Cambridge
    Glitch in the game?

There seems to be a glitch in the game. After getting the khandor drive im suppose to meet up with a Vossk named Erkkt Uggut in the S'kolptorr which is in the Vossk system but when i click on "show on map" I am shown the Suteo System.

11. the9quad

the9quad Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2011

Tony just a suggestion but if you tell any random chick at a bar that exact same thing then I know one guy who is gonna GET LUCKY TONIGHT!

12. RayZZoo

RayZZoo Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2011
    Belgium
    The game in HD seems beautiful.... but I have already bought the normal version 4 months ago for my iPad2, and I don't understand why I have to pay another time to play in HD. Too bad.

It would be cool to have a sale if we are already the owner of the normal version.

13. Magnum0ik

Magnum0ik Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2011
    Insurance Broker
    Portsmouth, England
    Agreed.

14. violentv

violentv Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2010
    I am sure many ff7 fans will pay a premium if a remake of ff7 in HD ever gets produced! GoF2 is no ff7..but still... lol

And there is/will be a discount of sorts. The valkyrie HD addon will be made free to those who have already purchased it for the SD version when it comes out.

15. mc511

mc511 Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Honestly i dont know what the major issue is here over no AA. The texture models look better and space stations and space atmosphere looks good. But sorry as a consumer if you bought the regular version for $10 and then buy the HD version for $10 with no major enhancements besides the graphics then you have more problems than this game not running AA. If you knew that all it this was just a graphics boost and still bought the HD version, its really your fault i the end. Good graphics dont make a game great, its a mixture of several different assests. I would rather play scribblenauts for a day than play this (not saying this is a bad game in anyway,its very good actually), but for me its about having fun and not just a pretty sight.

I think of it like this. Games with really great graphics are like really really hot girls. They can be amazing on the outside but on the inside is a different story. Choose wisely ;)

16. RayZZoo

Aug 1, 2011
    Belgium

Sure for ff7. But for ff7, you speak about a HD version on a new device.

But here, for GoF2, it is a HD version for the same device (iPad 2) where there is already a normal version on the Appstore.

For me, it's not the same.

And about the possible future sale for Valkyrie HD... yes, it is cool (but it's just a promise from the developppers).

I would prefer the opposite, to have the HD free when you have already bought the normal version, and to pay Valkyrie in HD.

17. fishlabs_games

Jan 13, 2009
    Hi Breakbeat, many thanks for buying GOF2 and Valkyrie and glad to hear you liked it. We will give guys like you who have already purchased Valykrie the HD version of the add-on for free when it hits the streets in Q1 2012. Technically there is no way to give a discount on an app and to release GOF2 HD as an update with IAP would have not worked either as we don't have the Valkyrie assets in HD quality yet. Please keep in mind this not only a Retina display update, which indeed should be free, but a five man-years investment.

Besides, Keith's voice in the trailer is indeed from our Sound Engineer as we did the trailer when we had not recorded the professional speakers yet. We demoed this to some US guys and they thought we can get away with this but oboviously we did not ;-)

CHeers,
    Michael

18. RayZZoo

Aug 1, 2011
    Belgium
    I understand your opinion,fishlabs_games.

But I don't understand how there is a way to give free HD version of Valkyrie for the old buyers, and not to give free (or to do a discount at least) for the old buyers of the normal version.

I'm lost :confused:

19. BrEaKBEaT

BrEaKBEaT Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2009
    London, UK
    Me too, as that'd imply there's a way to see which itunes accounts have bought the game etc. Or perhaps it'll be a redeem scheme... whichever way, I'd have rather had that on the 'new' game rather than addon.

The flipside though, and thanks for your reply Fishlabs... is that it's a game / developer worth supporting. £6.99 doesn't even buy me two pints at my local, and it's a heck of a lot cheaper than the £40 I wasted on Deus Ex recently.

Valkyrie for free is a good gesture regardless, so I may well buy again.

btw; I was referring to Keith's in-game voice, not the trailer. Your sound engineer probably did a much better job, and probably doesn't have a voice that makes you want to punch him repeatedly :p

20. fishlabs_games

Jan 13, 2009
    #80 fishlabs_games, Oct 17, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
    This would require a license server on our side. We also considering to give Valkyrie HD away for free for all GOF2 users as the license server might be just too much work. With GOF2 HD installed on the device the app can detect if GOF2 (SD) has been installed previously. If TRUE Valkyrie HD will be unlocked automatically after the fee updated has been installed. Obviously, this won't work if GOF2 HD is not on the device. Hence, we can't give a discount on GOF2 HD for GOF2 SD users in the first place.