Universal Galaxy on Fire 2 HD - By Fishlabs

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by goiMot, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    It's not that simple. Imagine if they did take the (significant) time to put it in, and the frame rate dropped significantly, maybe even to below the regular version. What would the customers say then?

2. spleen

spleen Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2010
    Australia
    I am almost 100% sure people claiming the 'SD' version looks better have not played it in some time. I went in to the game not expecting AA (even on the Mac screenshots posted some time ago there was no AA) so perhaps this explains the difference in opinion. The iPad 2 is an amazing piece of kit, but I think right now people are giving it too much credit, and this game far too little. Just stop for a minute and remember you are playing this on a tablet.

3. violentv

violentv Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Yeah.lol. But what i am saying is that they seem rather resigned to the fact that there is no way to implement AA without massively impacting fps. They might however be more motivated to streamline the game to allow for anti aliasing if they realize that they are alienating their customer base ?

4. __M__

__M__ Member

Oct 4, 2011
    Missouri
    And this may be entirely true, and I agree with it, but I would whole heartedly sacrifice some fog, smoke, and other BS that floats around in space to conserve the RAM needed for AA.

5. the9quad

the9quad Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Low resolution of the iPad makes the no AA stand out like a sore thumb, the aliasing is very, very distracting to the point of making all the other fluff look terrible. It looks that bad. Am I going to ask for a reund? No, but I couldn't recommend this to anyone with the original. It also went from a show off piece, to a play this when no one is looking game.

6. Simon Potticary

Simon Potticary Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Writer
    East London
    Couldn't have said it better myself!

7. Pacificsun0481

Pacificsun0481 Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Sacramento, CA

I think he meant CPU expensive.

As in, resource hog.

8. Joshnsuch

Joshnsuch Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Louisville
    So is this just an issue with the iPads? Or should I avoid this with my 4S that is on the way this week?

I haven't played the SD version of this game but it seems to get heaps of praise and I considered picking this up on my new device.

9. spleen

spleen Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2010
    Australia
    If you haven't played either version yet definitely go with this HD one. The aliasing should be barely visible given the size of the pixels on the iPhone screen.

10. dyscode

dyscode Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Living
    World
    #50 dyscode, Oct 13, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
    Which means essentially: it cannot be done.
    Heck, if they cannot do it then they should not have done it.
    Also as Fishlabs say, this is ported from the Mac version, so nothing is done from scratch.

Sorry but I LOVED fishlabs until today. This feels so much like a cash in and a punch in the face of the fanbase.

11. spleen

spleen Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2010
    Australia
    #51 spleen, Oct 13, 2011
    They just mentioned it using the same assets, I'm sure the game was developed with both devices in mind (They could have had even more impressive textures, models and effects if they were just developing it for a computer[mac]).

Correct me if I'm wrong (I've already deleted the SD version from my iPad), but it didn't have AA either, did it? Perhaps it was just less obvious due to the reduced detail and simpler models, I don't know.

I can appreciate that the game is less than you were hoping for, but as far as my opinions go Fish Labs has delivered on everything they promised with the HD version.

12. zergslayer69

zergslayer69 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    I'm on the fence until some way of transferring our old saves over is possible. The aa is distracting but it's not THAT bad as people are saying. And yes I did buy gof2 and valk.

13. khore187

khore187 Member

Oct 13, 2011
    #53 khore187, Oct 13, 2011
    IT WORKS ON IPOD TOUCH 4th GEN!!!

ok so to let everyone know, despite the warnings, i bought it on my 4th gen Ipod touch, an working just fine, no lag, no issues.

P.S

on a side note i got both the SD an HD on my ipod Touch, there a hugeeee difference, HD the meteors actually look like well meteors, as for the HD there just gray solid rocks, space looks great, ships even better, like comparing dungeon hunters 1 to part 2 basicly, which you should all know is a huge difference. im not sure why they said the ipod touch 4th gen wouldnt work, but i mean its loading better then the first day shadowgun came out.

14. Bad Hanson

Bad Hanson Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Somnambulist
    The Westcountry UK
    Why are you selling this game at a huge premium to your fans who at the very least would have expected AA on their iPad 2's?? I don't think it's an over-reaction and people are rightfully pi$$ed off. I have bought all your games on iOS I'll think twice before putting down my money in the future. The iPad 2 should be able to manage full AA based on the performance of other games already out there. Please optimise it and add a toggle in the options. If I were you I would be trying to save face and appease your paying customers before the word hits the app rating. GOF HD is a great game I just feel sorry for people who have gone back to playing the standard HD version- that can't be right now can it?? So much for all the hype.

15. spleen

spleen Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2010
    Australia
    #55 spleen, Oct 13, 2011
    Amazingly it actually does work on the 4th gen iPod, even with visuals on max. Certainly not at a smooth framerate though (it is playable), and the controls feel quite sluggish in comparison to how it plays on iPad 2. It is also worth noting this is only at the very beginning of the game where there there are little to no other ships on screen, and no fire-fights. I imagine during these the game would become frustrating and unplayable. With this is mind I would not recommend people who own only a 4th gen iPod or iPhone buy this. Fish Labs should know their game better than anyone, and if they're recommending a 4S or iPad 2 then it would be wise to listen.

16. khore187

khore187 Member

Oct 13, 2011

uhh idk what ya smoking, but its not sluggish or lagging for me. an i have the visuals on max.

17. Magnum0ik

Magnum0ik Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2011
    Insurance Broker
    Portsmouth, England
    I haven't purchased this yet and have the original SD version. I am running iPad 2 and the screenshots do look different.

From what I can tell, there are jaggies where no AA. What about the ships, meteors, bases and general "space furniture?" Surely, these look so much better??

Can someone with an iPad 2 give a breakdown on the graphical improvements, as I cannot believe that there are no improvements. Keep AA to one side if possible.

18. spleen

spleen Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2010
    Australia
    It's possible it isn't running as well for me because my iPod is getting low on space (~1.5gb left out of 32), but other games run fine so I don't think this should be an issue.

There is some definite control lag, even if the game looks to be running smoothly. Most noticeably while trying to mine ore, the drill tip jumps around the screen rather than smoothly sliding. Again, this is only early in the game with little action going on, I can't imagine the controls improving during battles.

Have you played it on an iPad to compare how responsive it is etc? Not trying to discredit you, but I've tried it on both. It could just be that you don't know what you're missing out on. ;)

In any case. Even if it is running perfectly for you, it's running less than stellar for me - so there is no guarantee it will run well for everyone with 4th gen devices. If there are more people with both iPad 2 (or 4S), and older 4th gen devices that want to to test it out and report back that would be cool, but until then I really suggest people with only older devices hold off...

19. khore187

khore187 Member

Oct 13, 2011
    saddly im to broke to try it on a ipad or a ipad 2 for that mater lol. but i guess for a pocket size hand held game, it looks perty beast, esp if ur high lol... but if worse comes to worse an it does lag later on, ill ask for a refund back.

20. spleen

spleen Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2010
    Australia
    Oh, no doubt. It looks amazing (even more so on the smaller iPod screen - aliasing is FAR less evident), just doesn't run quite as well - for me at least. And I wasn't trying to take a jab at you for not owning an iPad 2 AND and iPod/iPhone. I wouldn't have been able to afford both either, the iPad 2 was a 25th bday present. =P

@ Magnum0ik: The ships and stations have all been remodeled in higher detail, and have new textures (description says up to 4x the resolution of the original GoF2), as well as that there are improved particle effects and such (fog/space dust/lasers and explosions). As far as I can tell the only thing that hasn't been updated is the character portraits (which were fine anyway). I'd suggest you find some HD gameplay videos and take a look (there have already been a couple posted in this topic). Do keep in mind that visuals aside it is exactly the same game as before.