Universal Galaxy on Fire 2 (FISHLABS)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Oct 26, 2010.

1. chickdigger802

chickdigger802 Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Atlanta GA
    This maybe sound a little obvious, but this game is pretty heavy on battery use.

2. BrainGame

BrainGame Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2009
    Nurse
    Philippines
    The icon is somewhat identical to earth defender

3. NiclasW

NiclasW Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Student in MediaDesign
    Cologne, Germany
    like the game so far.. but the icon looks terrible :'(

4. synagence

synagence Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Seconded on that .... would like 1st person view... also noticed that the speeches, if skipped, keep playing while 1st persons do so it overlaps...
    Controls seem different from GoF1 and take some getting used to...

Other than that ... only played for about 15 minutes but i love it .... gonna be my stock game for a while i can tell ... been waiting for a more 'freelancer' inspired title since warpgate ....

Nothing wrong with Star Batallion either ... can't they both just get along? Both good shooters ... but different

5. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #145 Vovin, Oct 27, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
    I am on the fence...

[​IMG]

6. synagence

Dec 4, 2008
  7. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    This fence is taken, get your own fence.

8. RaptorF35

RaptorF35 Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Computer Technician
    On a Motherboard
    Come on vovin, you can get on mine, I'm gonna jump tomorrow

9. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    Well, actually I need more to know about the controls (or a lite to try).

10. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Ok I've worked everything out that I was having trouble with earlier and the game starts to really open up about 10 or so free missions in. I've just got to the stage where I can see some of the other vessels and solar systems on offer but I'm a long way from affording a new ship just yet I can't wait until I manage to buy one though.

I'm really glad I bought this one it really is like freelancer in your pocket even the plot so far is pretty interesting I can see this being the only game I play for quite a while.

11. synagence

Dec 4, 2008
    Tilt or thumb-stick like GoF1... feels a little different ... more progressive than linear so took a few minutes to get used to the new feel but its fine

12. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    I was really looking forward to this game, but the whole "battles are dull" sentiment has kind of got me wavering.

13. meatz666

meatz666 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2010
    Software Developer
    Aberdeen/Scotland/UK
    Come on, man, one guy says that the battles are dull (the throttle freak), and you take it as gospel... It's just one opinion, against several good ones.

I, as everybody else here, played only a few levels... The game meets its price tag... So, if you manage to buy Phoenix and Carcassonne, you can put a few bucks (in my case, quids) and get yourself a great game...

Just played few levels, but I have to say:

The battles are not dull!

14. synagence

Dec 4, 2008
    Since it only came out today then its likely that the game eases you in ... the first few bits are pretty straight forward but it explains a lot .... i'm thinking its going to have depth and longevity and that battles are gonna get more challenging as you get deeper into it

Given its also on offer now and will have universal support soon PLUS it has online save-games so you can progress a game over multiple devices makes this a total no-brainer for me

15. medianotzu

Nov 21, 2009
    Yeah, the Appspy review said the battles are a bit dull, that's what my hesitation is mostly based on.

I guess the thing is, I loved GoF 1, but it got thoroughly played out after about 5 hours of side missions. I am hoping the combat in this game is substantially different from the first so I don't get burned out on it quickly.

16. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    You know, right now, I think what's putting me off the most is that I think there are too many guys in this thread with too few posts who appear to be more outspoken (and knowledgeable) about the game than they ought to be.

That, plus I went and replayed the first few missions of the original game and found them to be significantly worse than I had remembered. (And I had not remembered them with any great fondness to begin with.)

17. meatz666

meatz666 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2010
    Software Developer
    Aberdeen/Scotland/UK
    I love iPhone games... But one thing that is really bothering me is how people in this topic are overthinking this... It's just iPhone game! Ok, it's not the usual 0.59 price tag, but come on, is a space sim...

Buying or not buying this game will not resolve all your problems, you know...

18. Nigra

Nigra Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Yeah there's a system but it's not as big as the first one, at least that I have seen. I think there are just 20 systems and 100 stations against the 500 in the first one. I've read in theirforums that there are hidden places and a bunch of bonuses but still didn't get any of that. I need to keep playing.

It's kinda weird that the sequel has less stations than the prequel but I guess the maps and the systems are nicer here. However you will need to travel a lot, some guys at the space lounge gave me very hard missions to do for a lot of money in the other extreme of the map (and I get constantly killed) but good is that you can decline the missions.

Yes, it's actually very demanding on memory and everything. It works fine on my pos but after one hour or so of playing around and doing random stuff it crashes. Not sure if it's the iPod fault or something. I believe some people don't like that, overall to reboot the device each time I want to play (I myself make a hard reset). Probably the devs fix that.

I think that depends on the game level. Playing it hard and taking high level missions make the game really crazy! There are just a lot of enemies and allies around but it will take sometime to get there, it's not as linear as the first.

Also, are you guys able to listen to the ipod music during the game? It will shut my music each time I open it, even if I disabled the game music. Not sure if it's just my iPod of if this is not present, that's one of the things that I didn't like from the last version and it would be a pity that it wasn't addressed.

19. medianotzu

Nov 21, 2009
    It shouldn't bother you if you're happy with your purchase. Anyway, yes, in a vacuum this game alone will now solve or cause any problems, but applying the kind of logic you're using here to all possible purchases would create quite a few problems for me.

Maybe this is the greatest game ever, but I expected to be blown away by the feedback when it was finally released. As it is, I find myself wanting to wait for more impressions.

20. Nigra

Nigra Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Well the replay value of the first one wasn't very good, indeed, it was kinda easy to beat and turned a bit repetitive after that. So far I've found this one to have improved but I think that the difference is not the different kind of missions or the longer storyline... I've found that the real difference I'd the ambient you get while playing the game. It's weird, like a sci-fy tecnopunk. The voice acting and the sounds make it much more "playable" if you get what I mean (it's less of a pain to advance and listent to the dialogues)

I've been experiencing some bugs though, like the 3D sound for the hit sound effect on the ship is not working, I hope they fix that stuff.