Universal Galaxy on Fire 2 (FISHLABS)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Oct 26, 2010.

1. juv3nal

juv3nal Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2010
    Ditto what others have said in that your expectations are just too high. I've played all those old space traders back to Elite, but this is on a phone/ipod. There's only so much performance you can squeeze out of the hardware for realistic physics modeling and the buttonless interface creates UI challenges when adding things like throttle. The iPad version may be a different matter, but I already find myself firing off missiles or bombs when I don't intend to. I doubt adding a throttle slider will improve things any in that department.

2. tsharpfilm

tsharpfilm Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    What do you expect... You finished the game. :rolleyes:

I think Galaxy on Fire 2 is one of the best games for iOS. Instead of zipping through it in a couple of days, I've been taking my time with it, picking it up here and there to do a freelance mission, etc. And so far I've been thoroughly impressed and satisfied with my purchase. This is a very smart, casually paced, and visually stunning game.

3. nonexist

nonexist Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Male
    USA
    That's what I do too with all my games and that is the difference between buying a game to finish it and buy a game to play it. Personal opinion.

4. bmanic

bmanic Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    You are right of course. It's just that with all the hype surrounding GoF 2 before it's launch, it was obvious that the "scale" which fishlabs tries to tackle is on par with Freespace/Privateer/Elite.

Of course I'm not expecting immersion on the level of a PC/console title but it's the little things that count. Even a text adventure game can be awesomely immersive if it is written well with a good story. A bad text adventure/book is a chore to read or play. This is the main point was was trying to get at.

The actual flying and combat parts of GoF 2 could definitely have been much better and it's not at all down to the platform. Simple "fluid" and dynamic physics for the star ships would have made the fights much more fun to play. Can anybody honestly say they play GoF 2 for the space combat alone? I doubt it. It's a collector game.. kind of like a dungeon crawler. :p

Anyhow, you have some very good valid points.

Cheers!
    bManic

5. yienmaster

yienmaster Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Crashing Into Asteroids

I just realized I can crash into asteroids and they break open and my tractor-beam grabs the core... have I been totally missing this the whole game? Or is this an ability I gained when I got a better ship, tractor-beam, or something?

There is no point in mining anymore whatsoever.

6. DarthSlim

DarthSlim Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2010
    You can also shoot asteroids and destroy them, but they don't always leave a core for you to pick up.

7. Hai5

Hai5 Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Would be great if the explosion from enemy ship or pirates station would cause minor damage to the ship when in the close proximity.

8. bmanic

bmanic Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    No. This is simply not true. Most of my points are down to design decisions and scaling the UI. There's no reason to have asteroids everywhere. There's no reason to not have the universe at least a little bit believable. This has nothing to do with the platform and wouldn't hurt the story nor progression in any way. It'd just add a sense of true exploration.

Some very old games had much better flight physics (better meaning the combat was more fluid. AI craft were "sliding" and had inertia etc.) running on a fraction of the processor speed of the iPhone. Inertia and basic physics tweaking takes no additional processing power. I bet there already is a good solid physics solution in the engine, it's just that the way it is tweaked it's very clunky. There's no lead pursuit on targets, no lag pursuit.. no basic fighter maneuvers possible due to the lack of inertia or the fluidity of the flight model. This is the very reason every encounter ends up being the same.

The speed of the ships could easily be quite a bit faster making for a more interesting flying experience. Throttle control could be automatic in combat situations. Heck, automatic throttle for matching target speed could be just another upgrade option for the ship! It'd be hard in the beginning without this upgrade. So what?

Anyhow, don't get your panties twisted people. This is just my opinion. If you like the game, more power to you! And for the people not understanding me playing 15 hours and not liking the game.. duh. Get a friggin clue. I paid 5 euros for it, of course I'm going to at least TRY to like it and play it through. The story was still rather amusing and some of the dialogue quite nice.. and I do have that collectors itch like anybody else. I like having a ship fully loaded with awesome weaponry just because I can. :D

Cheers!
    bManic

9. juv3nal

juv3nal Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2010
    I'll give you the asteroids. I wasn't really talking about that. I mean I can see how it would break immersion for some, but I would just as soon have my mining targets be easy to find.

Sure, but probably none of those games were pushing the resolution/polys/texture detail that GoF does.

That's just wrong. It may, depending on how they've implemented things take no *significant* additional processing power, but it must take some, because without intertia, there is no need to track mass. That's at least an extra variable for every ship and asteroid.

10. tsharpfilm

tsharpfilm Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    I didn't know that. :eek:

*tries it*

11. ZeroAT

ZeroAT Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2010
    What is the easiest way to make money( I am referring to like 100k+ quickly )

I get decent from missions etc but it would be nice to get more for better ships

12. zI Veo Iz

zI Veo Iz Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2009
    Texas
    I now have over 2m and was wondering should I get the Aegir or the Veteran ( or whatever it was called)

13. ZeroAT

ZeroAT Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Just wondering, how did u earn the 2m? :confused:

14. zI Veo Iz

Nov 28, 2009
    Texas
    All through missions, get 30k-70k each.

15. ZeroAT

ZeroAT Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2010
    DO missions rewards increase over time or something?

I get 10k-18k rewards for missions atm :eek:

16. Tower Defender

Tower Defender Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2009
    I believe they do. It may be related to what level you are at. I get 40,000 to 70,000 per a mission.

17. zI Veo Iz

Nov 28, 2009
    Texas
    Im not sure, I'd guess level based.

18. ZeroAT

ZeroAT Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2010
    and how do you raise your level again?

19. bmanic

bmanic Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Ah yes, you are correct about that. Didn't think about the resolution of the retina display, it is high indeed.

There are many ways of faking it. No need to model true physics, just add some inertia to the ship flight model. It can be done easily without any real calculations.. at least my limited programming ability can't see any problems with it. Many driving games "fake" their suspension geometry and the way the tires slide and are affected by the mass of the car. Surely it can be done with 6 degrees of freedom as well?

Cheers!
    bManic

20. tonyatf

tonyatf Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Cambridge
    Wow that Khandor Drive kicks butt!!!

Looking for other blueprints if anyone could help?

Mass Driver MD 10 and T'yol