Universal Galaxy on Fire 2 (FISHLABS)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Oct 26, 2010.

1. silentcorp

silentcorp Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2010
    A throttle wouldn't be too difficult to control on the idevices, when you are in combat you can turn on the auto-fire and have an entire hand available for throttle. Other games demand much more from gamers controls wise, Modern Combat2 comes to mind.

We need the 1st person view though. Forget the cockpits, that'd be too much effort but at least let us get a 1st person perspective.

I don't think anyone is expecting this to be an arcadey shooter, but almost every space-sim of this nature includes a throttle. It's a standard of the genre, and it's omission is a glaring flaw in an otherwise great game.

No throttle = dull combat unfortunately.

2. Putosaure

Putosaure Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2010
    Well...
    For example, we could use two-finger gesture to speed-up or slow down, don't need for a button.
    Or... pressing a button and barely tilting the device forward to speed-up, backward to slow down... like a lever !

3. meatz666

meatz666 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2010
    Software Developer
    Aberdeen/Scotland/UK
    First of, it will not be bully comments that will make me shut up... I love the game as it is, but since the creation of the fantastic web 2.0 concept, I really like to give my feedback on matters that I believe it would increase the gameplay of a game.

- I don't think that I know more then Fish Labs game designers. I'm sure that, for each complaint that I gave, they thought about it one year before.

- I don't think that complaining will make them run to the computer and implement what I want. But this feedback is important for their upcoming games

Nobody is crying or whining. If you don't like people expressing their opinions, the last place that you should be is on a web forum.

4. TouchChatterbox

TouchChatterbox Well-Known Member

May 21, 2009
    For voice acting for any additional missions in the future, perhaps you could hold an open casting call on these forums? As an aspiring actor, I would do anything to voluntarily have my voice in a game. ;) Well not THAT. :p

Looks like a great game. I've only just picked up the first game though. How long should that take to finish? Maybe I'm just better off skipping to the better game...

5. Shebby289

Shebby289 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    imo one slight tweak that should be made is the calibration button. Remember that this is a portable game after all so this button should be slightly more accessible rather than pause -> Options -> Controls -> Calibrate etc. Star Battalion allows you to calibrate immediately before starting a level. In GoF2's case, it'd be nice to have it right at the pause menu.

6. Maniacfive

Maniacfive Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Phone Sales
    Kent, UK
    I've been taking my time with the game. 13 hours in and not completed the main mission yet, And it continues to amuse.

No matter how expensive the ship though it never has enough equipment slots! I have too many cool gadgets and not enough space. Though I quite like that actually. I have to make sure the ship is fitted out for the mission. Take 16 passengers to a far flung system? okay no problem let me just unequip the mining laser and the extra shields and off we go... Only to walk into an epic Vossk Terran space battle just outside the station. That was fun, hit the boost, set the auto pilot for the jumpgate and blasted away at pursuers with the turret. EAT GREEN DEATH MAGGOTS! :D Fortunately I had left the extra hull plating equipped.

I am really enjoying the blueprint system! Adds a new element to the trading. Travelling from system to system actively hunting down Radioactive Materials and Optics etc rather than just whatever offers the best return. I hope FishLabs add more Blueprints and hidden systems to the game via updates. Maybe an Astromech blueprint for the option of autonomous turret fire ;)

I can't say I'm missing the lack of a throttle, but then I wasn't expecting Privateer or Freelancer esque controls when I came in. It is a sequel to a game lacking throttle controls after all.

In my experience once you've equipped one of the higher level thruster jets, and one of the better boosts its perfectly good enough. I find it easy to dodge, spin round on a dime and chase down my pursuer. I guess if you're not willing to play long enough to obtain these upgrades, then this game isn't going to be for you. I'd been playing about 4 hours when i got offered the Pulsed Plasma Thrust by a mysterious dude in a bar, tasty.

Not sure if you got your answer to this, but you can go from system to system without ever landing at a station. The system with the jump gate is marked with a small blue dot on the planet when you are flying, target that and you'll fly to that system, from there just enter the jumpgate via autopilot and the star map will appear for you to select a destination.

7. silentcorp

silentcorp Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2010
    Another thing I'd love to see, is seperate sensitivity settings for the X and Y axis for the controls. For me the up/down is waaaayyy too sluggish, yet the left/right feels perfect.

I'm about 6 hours in and still enjoying the game, the combat still feels as dull as Warpgate's though. Kinda dissapointing!

8. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    I just played through another full battery charge it seems once I start I have to keep going I just bought the first ship I could fit all my equipment on the Groza if I remember right.

My only gripes so far are pretty minor ones like Class A asteroids seem to be harder to mine than Class B and I usually end up with the same amount from them as I have to terminate when I get to the last section I haven't seen any better drilling equipment yet (using the 2.7 one) so I don't know if this changes.
    I also thought the turret on my last ship was a bit useless I expected it to be able to fire with the main gun as well although maybe I just haven't found a good use for them.

That being said no other App Store game has sucked me in this much in fact no PSP game really has either it really is quite an achievement.

9. FlyinJ

FlyinJ Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2010
    I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but-

Is there any way to turn off the "auto advance" timer on dialog? My GOD is that annoying. Why would anyone want to have the dialog auto advance? I've been playing games for 30 years, and this is the first time I saw someone put so much effort and UI into a feature that advances dialog without you wanting it to advance.

10. Reemas

Reemas Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Are there plans to allow a full gyroscope controls?

11. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

Hey, if you're playing with sound it's a great feature!

12. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

hey, where's that ship that costs around 21000? it's like called the badger or something

13. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I really think every game should have a screenhot mode! :eek:

14. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

what ship and what price?

(but still, please answer my prev question...)

15. Alienmario

Alienmario Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2009
    gaming! lol
    idk udk
    bought veteran today
    2,239,560$

Attached Files:

16. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

how the f*ck did you make so much money.

17. badmanj

badmanj Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    My favourite game ever on the iPhone. Absolutely amazing. I've NEVER spent so much time on a game on the iPhone, EVER. Solid gold.

Only flaw as far as I'm concerned - why do you have to dock to plot to the next system??? There should be the ability to access the map from the ship.

Cheers,

Jamie.

18. Alienmario

Aug 28, 2009
    gaming! lol
    idk udk
    not by mining, you will know when you'll have blackholes

19. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

argh! how is everyone making so much money?

20. Alienmario

Aug 28, 2009
    gaming! lol
    idk udk
    to go to another star in current system just point at it and press fire
    to another system use the jumpgate, it will be easier as you progress through story if you haven't yet