Universal Galaxy on Fire 2 (FISHLABS)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Oct 26, 2010.

1. meatz666

meatz666 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2010
    Software Developer
    Aberdeen/Scotland/UK
    LOL... But everybody got eat, right?
    Like... Priorities?!

:)

2. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Yah, I agree. Brake is probably far more likely.

Then I've good news for ya ;) The tech 8 station I'm currently at has a Cyclotron Boost, which gives a 80% output, with a boost duration of 4400ms. That's quite the improvement over the Linear Boost, and I'm guessing we'll find at least one more, with a 100% boost.

3. Morenar

Morenar Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2009
    Need some help, if anyone knows how to deal with this. I'm on Nyrand Station in Augmenta. I accepted a mission to kill a spy. When i locate and attack the informer all the local security forces attack me. is there any way to deal with this or do I just have to bribe the station after finishing the mission?

4. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    I know, it just seems more like something you should hear in Starbucks than about a video game.

5. Tower Defender

Tower Defender Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2009
    I thought they already said something about not including a throttle button in one of their blog updates.

6. kahdmus

kahdmus Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Hmmm...hypothetically I agree, however in reality the problem is that combat in GoF2 just isn't very fun, whereas Star Battalion is an absolute blast to play!!!! :D

7. nightbeaver

nightbeaver Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    just wanted to point out that maybe fishlabs didnt put in a throttle or brakes because a throttle on a space ship wouldnt work to slow it down since there is little to no friction in space. you would have to have something for reverse thrust in order to slow or stop your forward momentum. is there any kind of reverse thrusters or boosters that make you slow down in the game?

8. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #248 Ayjona, Oct 27, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
    Nope. None. But that IS what a throttle means, in space game terms. Reverse thrusters that counteract your forward momentum and slow you down. Nevermind the official definition of throttle. And I would be very surprised if real world physics is what stopped Fishlabs from putting a speed control mechanism in a space game :)

The physical specifics aren't really important, as it is obvious that what we want is a way to slow down :)

I do enjoy the Star Battalion battles, but not more than Galaxy of Fire 2's. The more advanced flight mechanics of Star Battalion are great, but the auto-targeting lessens the experience for me. In contrast, Galaxy of Fire 2, while unfortunately devoid of all the more sophisticated maneuvers, requires considerably more skill to hit the target.

Fortunately for me, I enjoy them both :) But yes, just think of how astounding Galaxy on Fire 2 would be with a bit of Star Battalions ship handling...

9. weedeatinflyincougar

weedeatinflyincougar Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2009
    In case anyone doesn't know (I wouldn't have figured it out if I hadn't done it by accident), to save to the OF slot, you have to tap it, hit refresh, tap it again, then hit save (which appears instead of refresh).

10. Windburn

Windburn Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    #250 Windburn, Oct 28, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
    Any reason why there isn't a stack more, up to 400% boost? :p

That's how GoF rolls, the range of items is impressive. I've put 6 hours into it so far, and I bet I haven't scratched the surface yet (though damn my ship looks wicked). Though...it doesn't seem there are too many mining lasers out there, I've already come across the "best that money can buy" supposedly (yes, it's expensive). The combat stuff should receive more attention though.

11. red12355

red12355 Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2010
    Yeah, but if they really wanted to have realistic physics, the ship should be accelerating at a constant rate because the thrusters are always on. Also, it would handle like the ship in the game asteroids, because it only has a thruster on the back and nothing to cancel out the momentum when it turns.

12. FriedSushi

FriedSushi Well-Known Member

May 13, 2010
    The next tier one is 160%, but i forgot the name

13. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Here's to the hope of 400% boosts, and their older and more powerful siblings. And yah, the game is massive, but the combat do needs looking to. That seems to be the one uniting factor in this thread ;)

Oh, splendid news!

14. cherdman

cherdman Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2010
    No throttle? wat

15. silentcorp

silentcorp Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2010
    Two things (besides a way to control speed) that I'd love to see in an update:

First person view, no need for a cockpit simply just remove the space ship. The iPhone screen real estate is at a premium to begin with, I'd love to have the extra space for the gorgeous world!

Also I'd love a way to change the transparency of the controls. Again, I'd love to have the extra space for the games graphics!

16. addiego

addiego Active Member

Jan 13, 2010
    Problem

I'm trying to leave the hangar at the point in the game in which I receive my first weapons/armor and have just completed the second 25 ore mission, and regardless of how many times I equip and re-equip the items, it still says I'm not wearing them and won't let me leave. Please PM me with an answer.

17. Nekcik

Nekcik Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Aiken, South Carolina
    Just equip one of the weapons, my guess is your trying to put both of them on (which is what I did) if you remove one of them it should let you continue on. Sorry I did not PM you this info . Rather then seeing the same question asked a few times I figure I make the answer public.

18. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Best moment in the game, when you have built and use your own warp machine to jump from galaxy to galaxy. SO COOL!

19. Delusionaltool

Delusionaltool Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    ohio
    play wing commander / star lancer / freelancer all have throttle control... same for x-wing / colony wars...

20. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Stockholm, Sweden
    And Vendetta Online, and Black Prophecy, and Elite 1, and Elite 2, and Elite 3, and X1, X2, X3, expansions to the X series, and Terminus, and Jumpgate Evolution, and Earth & Beyond, and that open source space sim I can never remember the name of, and...

...well, just about every space sim ever made :)