Universal Galaxy on Fire 2 (FISHLABS)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Oct 26, 2010.

1. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    That helps a lot! Thanks.

2. josephdk

josephdk Member

Sep 25, 2009
    Has anyone found where to buy a really nice mining laser?

3. silentcorp

silentcorp Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2010
    Decent enough game, sunk almost completely by the lame combat.

How you can design a space-sim with a heavy combat-focus and not have a throttle? The ship to ship combat is achingly dull, usually what gives flight sims/space sims a bit of depth to the combat is a throttle. Going full speed to dodge an enemy, only to slow to a crawl to make a tight turn right behind a baddie, only to blast them to bits!

I mean, I'm enjoying the game (graphics are insane, world is massive, trading/mining is a blast) but the combat is just painfully dull (for me personally.)

Whats next, a racing game where all the cars go one speed, and one speed only?!

4. Tower Defender

Tower Defender Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2009
    I didn't know that. ... And here I was giving up on mining, since the default kit is too unstable for me lol.

5. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    No, still searching.
    7:30 hours into the game and still just got one upgrade which is shitty too.
    Damn, I want my life back, this is a complete GoF-Day.

6. Tower Defender

Apr 2, 2009
    I think the turret is kinda useless unless you are on auto-pilot. It's very gimmicky.

I was hoping that the turret would be an auto-weapon that locks on enemies and fires on its own when an enemy is in the area. (With the option to activate it and deactivate it during combat)

Now that would be awesome.

7. Delusionaltool

Delusionaltool Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    ohio
    from what i read you do get engine upgrades that give you speed boosts etc...they didnt change the formula much from gof 1....

8. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Yes, the reactions against the lack of throttle (and against the fact that all ships seem to have the same top speed) are rather strong, almost to the point of being unanimous. Fishlabs have crafted an incredible game, with one, enormous, glaring flaw. I truly, truly hope they are reading this or similar threads, and are willing to make such a drastic change.

Engines upgrades improve handling. We're still not sure quite what that stat does (because, strangely, there is no in-game manual, something I thought just about every reasonably polished iOS game features these days), but to me, it only seems to affect maneuverability.

9. Delusionaltool

Sep 24, 2009
    ohio
    i sent fishlabs a request for throttle control we will see what they have to say...

I think it would be fantastic to implement a throttle system, maybe like a touch bar at the top of the screen you drag your finger across or something along those lines to control throttle so your not always going one speed.... i know that you can get upgrades to boost but it would be fantastic to have a throttle to control so you could stop your ship in a dog fight the dude flys past , also being able to put max throttle to move a bit faster to way points..... that kinda thing maybe your attacking a space station rather going in at one speed you can slow down to 25 percent then ramming is alot less likely...

adding something like this would be amazing.... i know alot of people want this not just me, it would just make your game stand above all the rest...

10. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

i really am missing the turbo button.
    the mining game just feels like an annoying gimmick to me also.
    dont get me worng guys- the game pwns
    i just feel the game really needs a turbo button. it's just more fun.

11. silentcorp

silentcorp Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2010
    Just to be clear the lack of throttle certainly isn't stopping me from playing this game all-too-much! I just wish the battles were a bit more exciting!

12. Delusionaltool

Sep 24, 2009
    ohio
    the turbo button appears with certain engines....

13. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    So is there any consensus on whether this or Star Battalion is better?

14. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

I have played this today more than I have played SB in total.

Also, here are the two screenshots that mysteriously went missing a few pages back:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

16. Tower Defender

Apr 2, 2009
    I see you like using the thermos. As do I :). They make this game that much easier :). I got the same ship and same turret as you as well rofl.

17. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Those of us who wish enough for a throttle control to care, let's all do this. It might make an impression.

They are quite different beasts. Star Battalion is a mission-based shooter (basically, a story-driven fps), while Galaxy on Fire 2 is an open world space simulation.

While both might take place behind the cockpit of a ship, the gameplay is different enough that the two games are not part of the same genre, and only comparable to a limited extent, combat-wise.

Personally, I find the prospect of open world space exploration incredibly more interesting than a few hours of boxed-in shooting, even though I highly enjoy Star Battalion :) So, if a comparison is to be made, Galaxy on Fire 2 winds by a massive amount. Not by a little, but by a landslide.

18. meatz666

meatz666 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2010
    Software Developer
    Aberdeen/Scotland/UK
    Thanks for sharing the idea! I really think that adding a break button would be easier then adding throttle... Of course I prefer throttle, but...

Guys, played a little bit more...

PAY ATTENTION

Remember the nitro boost button on GoF 1? It is included on GoF 2.
    It's a equipment, and the version that I have takes 1 equipement slot:

Linear Boost
    Type: Booster
    Tech Level: 4
    Effect 60%
    Loading speed 8000ms
    Boost duration 3000ms
    Price 5,082$

Ok... Gameplay-wise... You press the button, and you can't hold it... You press, and you get full effect... It's very brief, but the description (sorry, but I will not type it) says it's the very basic version... I really hope that the next versions give more punch and sustain...

It's impressive how having this guys changes the gameplay... Under heavy fire, I can dodge a lot of shots, and quickly tail a baddie after crossing+U turning...

I really hope to get a better version... The throttle would turn this game from gold to diamond, I must say...

19. Delusionaltool

Sep 24, 2009
    ohio
    if you all missed it this is what i sent to fishlabs as a request

i sent fishlabs a request for throttle control we will see what they have to say...

I think it would be fantastic to implement a throttle system, maybe like a touch bar at the top of the screen you drag your finger across or something along those lines to control throttle so your not always going one speed.... i know that you can get upgrades to boost but it would be fantastic to have a throttle to control so you could stop your ship in a dog fight the dude flys past , also being able to put max throttle to move a bit faster to way points..... that kinda thing maybe your attacking a space station rather going in at one speed you can slow down to 25 percent then ramming is alot less likely...

adding something like this would be amazing.... i know alot of people want this not just me, it would just make your game stand above all the rest...

Even just tapping the bar lower on the bar the slower you go higher up the bar the faster i think it could work, even a break button or double tapping the bar to break.... any other ideas post em up...fishlabs reads these forums so im sure something can come of it.

20. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    #240 ojtitus, Oct 27, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
    WOW!! Really??? I've paid more money for far less games and I'm sure most people are in the same boat, unless you just started playing video games. Why does everyone expect games to be so cheap, especially when they are quality games. I've spent more on lunch than this.