Universal Galaxoid - A retro space shooter

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ismyhc, Oct 1, 2013.

1. Coolness! Glad you got an icade! Also, you can add apple joystick support too. Thanks for the icade consideration!

2. somedumbgamer

somedumbgamer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    Sold! I'm a sucker for retro type games. Love chillaxian!

3. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    Playing on iphone5, latest ios6. Didn't happen again after re-dl/boot.

I start to love the scoring system. Accuracy is the only way to play, if you go for highscore. It would make the game too easy, at least until level 20, if you just keep shooting like wild (= lower score).

Recommended to retros and fans of slower paced shooters.

4. ismyhc

ismyhc Well-Known Member

Ahh yes. I also believe Accuracy is key. Enemies breaking out of formation are also more valuable ;)

5. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    #25 slamraman, Oct 2, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
    Damn!! I watch one of football (Celtic v Barcelona) and I'm way down the board. Will attempt to fix that today.

Quick edit: Done (for now)

6. sugimulm

sugimulm Well-Known Member

A retro hybrid that reminds me of Space Invaders and Galaxian. Absolutely love the game and it does bring back that nostalgia in me.

Controls, love it, left side of the screen (seems like relative touch) controls the ship, left, right. The right side of he screen is your fire "area". Button responses are accurate and responsive (iPhone 5s).

Highly recommended for any shooter fan, and if you are seeking that retro itch, this game is for you. Totally worth it and more.

Great job!

7. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    The more I play this, the more I love it. Reminds a little of Space Invaders Extreme. Highly recommended.

8. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    Celtic were pretty unlucky; showed a lot of heart.

9. slamraman

Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    Agree - it's pretty much all Scottish Football has now. This Galaxoids has a lot of heart too. It's a little beauty.

10. ismyhc

ismyhc Well-Known Member

Thanks for the positive feedback everyone! I hope to see everyone battling it out on the leader boards.

Just as an FYI the next update will bring Achievements ;) I wanted to do this before release, but just wasn't able to.

11. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Not bad, but this is one case where 1:1 movement does not seem optimal. I'm constantly needing to reposition my left thumb and "flick" in order to get all the way from one side of the screen to another on the iPad. An option for exaggerated movement would be useful here.

Besides that, the game feels a bit too easy, and the exact same formation with the exact same enemies at the start of each level gets old fast. At only my second go I made it to level 18, and at the end found myself with a somewhat sore thumb and glad that something finally managed to kill me.

With all that said, it is still pretty fun, just the ways in which it could be improved are pretty glaring.

12. slamraman

Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    I leave the office to make one cup of tea and my high score gets well and truly beaten by AndyC83. Absolute beauty - again!

13. ismyhc

ismyhc Well-Known Member

Im thinking about adding a sensitivity option for the movement control. This should help.

As for the game being easy, I concur that the game may feel easy at first, but start pushing past 25 and I think you will see the difficulty start to ramp up.

I appreciate your input and will note it down!

Thanks!

14. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Love the old skool graphics, controls i dont mind at all

Would be great if you could do a sequel with different levels though, eg ones like Space Invaders, ones like Galaxians, anothers like Asteroids or just vertical asteroids falling down etc. Just a bit of variety

Dont get me wrong i love the 'Atari 2600' style basic graphics, it proves its all about the gameplay than fancy graphics. But different level options would be great. Even if one was imagine a vertical path scrolling down which narrowed the gamefield so it would make it tricky dodging alien bullets etc

But a great first game, look forward to your next.

15. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    For the record, I just tried it on the iPhone, and the controls sensitivity isn't an issue there at all. On the iPad though, a sensitivity option would be much appreciated.

As for the difficulty, I understand what you're saying, and it makes sense, but having to play through 10-15 minutes of a game before you feel challenged isn't ideal, particularly on a mobile platform. As a thought, I'd possibly consider either getting rid of extra life drops all together and instead introducing a more interesting and inventive way of acquiring them, or at the least drastically reducing their frequency, for the first 20 levels at least.

16. ismyhc

ismyhc Well-Known Member

Yeah, I agree about the difficulty. Having to balance it for all types of players is somewhat difficult. I think your idea about the health bonuses is great though! Ill take it into consideration for sure!

Thanks!

17. Yeah, I think a pause and sensitivity option would be great. Thanks for considering them.

18. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Just got this and am looking forward to playing for score.

One more suggestion/request would be audio options (ability to mute music but keep effects). That'd be much appreciated.

Thanks for considering it, and for the great game.

19. Is there anyway to add a little more variety somehow in the monsters? Maybe this would be hard, or maybe not designed that way, but somehow some more variety in the stages might help.

20. ismyhc

ismyhc Well-Known Member

Ive got a few ideas Im working on. ;)