Universal Galactic Nemesis (by CS54)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Apr 21, 2015.

1. somedumbgamer

somedumbgamer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    Just downloaded this after reading the comments here. I also can relate to what you are talking about#

2. wovencharlie

wovencharlie Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2015
    Software Engineer
    Brooklyn, NY
    Very much so!!!

Would love to hear your feedback once you try it out.

- Charlie

3. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

#23 Anotherkellydown, Apr 28, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
    Good choice ;-)

@Charlie - When activating a shield or other power up, it's necessary to lift your thumb/finger from the screen, leaving your ship immobile and vulnerable to attacks. Sky Force 2014 uses a really nifty mechanic where the motion slows down after lifting your finger, allowing you time to select a power up. I just thought I'd throw the idea out there and see what you or others think about it.

P.S. - Just beat OBSOLESCENCE lvls 1-4, currently working on 5-8. Can't wait to try out all the new ships!

4. wovencharlie

Apr 27, 2015
    Software Engineer
    Brooklyn, NY
    #24 wovencharlie, Apr 28, 2015
    Sweet! Totally rockin it!!

Lifting your finger is currently required, yes. Multi-touch is not enabled because there were some technical issues that I still had not worked out fully, originally I had that 95% working but the bad user experience from accidental touches and odd two finger drag scenarios made me drop it. I may try and dedicate some time to fine tuning this for a V2, especially if I build out a story mode.

I played Sky Force a bit, a totally EPIC game; unfortunately going back to add in a "slow down" would be a huge undertaking.

5. Anotherkellydown

Ah, yeah. I can see how that would be quite a bit of work. And I've seen similar games use the multi-touch and always had issues with that too. So I get it :)

It's not bad the way it is now. Just gotta time it right or wait for a break in the action.

6. wovencharlie

Apr 27, 2015
    Software Engineer
    Brooklyn, NY
    #26 wovencharlie, Apr 28, 2015
    Mission Mode for Galactic Nemesis

I wanted to share it with the forum since the feedback has been amazing. This "Mission Mode" isn't 100% thought through, and still in design / conception but I'd love input from a community of gamers such as this.

The basics are, that the "story" or "mission mode" will be levels that play out along the surface of the worlds or a huge ship(s), with goals of either saving people, and or collecting certain things in order to complete the mission and unlock new worlds & missions. This is leaning slightly more towards a xevious model with some twists.

The only thing that's really shared with this and the original Galactic Nemesis, would be some of the art assets. A lot of controls / gameplay approach will be configured to make this great.

Feedback, ideas, and input are totally welcome for this new phase of Galactic Nemesis.

[​IMG]

- Charlie

7. Anotherkellydown

Wow, looks awesome! Will this be a separate app, or an update to the current one? Thanks for sharing, I'll be thinking of some ideas.

I've been kinda hoping some other members would chime in here and give some input so I wasn't "hogging" the thread, but man, it's getting dead in here. I want very much for this to get some more attention. I've recommended the game in the "Touch Arcade forums' Game of the Week" thread so maybe that will draw some people in.

Your game is the opposite of what so many TA members (including myself) are trying to steer clear of: adverts, timers, IAP, ads, multiple currencies, all that crap. None of that to be found here. Yet here we are with a top-notch, premium arcade game, an active developer, and it's crickets... I'm rambling, tired, and probably just being impatient. It's sleepy-time for me, and work in the morning. I'll check back in tomorrow. :)

8. wovencharlie

Apr 27, 2015
    Software Engineer
    Brooklyn, NY
    #28 wovencharlie, Apr 29, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
    HA! No worries, there's a lot of great news going on with the Apple watch this week. :-D

My initial thought is that this would be part of the current game and perhaps I'd just raise the price another $0.99, that way the early adopters get rewarded with some new / fresh content for free, and late adopters would get a super super premium title.

I'll know if it fits or not once I actually start prototyping and testing. If it starts to feel like a totally different game, it could end up too confusing to included it as another section of the game vs making it another separate game.

If / when I start building, I'd love some TA members as beta testers. :)

- Charlie

9. paulkane

paulkane Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2012
    Library automaton
    Denver
    #29 paulkane, Apr 29, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
    I picked this up right before I went to bed last night and made "that fatal mistake"...1 hour later, I was still playing! Galactic Nemesis is a fantastic arcade shooter! I love Galaga and it definitely pays homage, but adds a fresh spin on it with ship upgrades, level unlocks and different modes to unlock. I need to find some time this morning to pop the headphones in and really get into it. I can't wait.

Edit: Thanks to AKD for Galactic Nemesis praise in the GoTW thread. I would not be playing this otherwise. Thanks man!

10. wovencharlie

Apr 27, 2015
    Software Engineer
    Brooklyn, NY
    Glad you're liking the game!! Feel free to provide any feedback / suggestions, I'll definitely be checking back here from time to time.

- Charlie

11. wovencharlie

Apr 27, 2015
    Software Engineer
    Brooklyn, NY
    Not sure how many of you are interested from the dev side in the app store but here goes.

Last night was pretty great, Galactic Nemesis actually hit #11 in the U.K. for all iPad apps in the Arcade store, then hit #19 in the same category for the U.S. store. Galactic Nemesis actually overtook Angry Birds Seasons and Doodle Jump in those categories for a time. At this point, you may be thinking I'm a millionaire or at least a thousandaire, unfortunately neither are true.... billionaire.. nope. Not yet!

Since launching last week, there have been approximately 1200 downloads, of which only 370 came from the app store. The rest were actually illegally downloaded. Well boo hoo, those people wouldn't have downloaded my game anyhow, right? Sure. but if you're one of those people and you're reading this, I'd have many choice expletives for you if I weren't raised better than.. you. get the picture. :-D

Enough ranting, here's a chart from last nights excitement:
    [​IMG]

And here's a nice little screenshot of Galactic Nemesis ranking higher than Doodle Jump / Angry Birds. :-D
    https://instagram.com/p/2GdK_InPo3/

In a few hours, these rankings will surely fall, but perhaps with a steady stream of downloads, and perhaps a feature from another blog, could get this into the top 10 or top 5! Regardless, I have my day job, and only do this for the love of it.

Feedback and an attitude adjustment welcome.

- Charlie

12. Anotherkellydown

#32 Anotherkellydown, Apr 30, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
    How unbelievably frustrating and exciting that must be for you. All those downloads and less than a third are legit. I'm so sorry for those stats, but I'm happy you did get quite a few downloads. Still won't make up for the time and effort you obviously put into this. Hopefully the powers that be here on TouchArcade will take notice and give you a nice review ;)

To any of my Game Center friends from the USA, please PM me with an email address and I'll gladly gift Galactic Nemesis

13. wovencharlie

Apr 27, 2015
    Software Engineer
    Brooklyn, NY
    A little frustrating, just trying to brush it off move forward! If anyone sees a developer crying in a corner, you now know why. :D

14. Anotherkellydown

Keep your chin up! *wipes away Charlie's eyes*

I've finally left a nice 5 star review on the App Store. Read through the others too. Ones I recognize from here, and they're all great!

15. wovencharlie

Apr 27, 2015
    Software Engineer
    Brooklyn, NY
    Awesome, thank you! Every review, friend you tell, and tweet totally helps! :D

I'll keep my chin up, but always remember that "sprinkles are for winners"!
    [​IMG]

16. wovencharlie

Apr 27, 2015
    Software Engineer
    Brooklyn, NY
    Does anyone happen to have a marketing budget the size of Namco's I can borrow? Will totes pay you back, *cough* I won't pay you back.

All kidding aside, Galaga Tekken looks pretty cool.

17. Anotherkellydown

Still playing this daily. I can't get over how polished this is. I'm amazed every time I start it up!

Trying to complete stages 9-12 of OBSOLESCENCE. Been going back to earlier stages to get money for upgrades and improve my scores.

Galaga Tekken is an interesting idea, but I think a lot of people are just looking for a straight-up Galaga tribute. Here we have it with Galactic Nemesis and I'm afraid people are overlooking it, but what can ya do?

I think with so many games out there, people just don't spend the time to really see what's beneath the surface. I'm no different! But as an example, one of the App Store reviews says something about there being 3 different ships to use; I'm only on the second set of levels and have 5 available. And I'm assuming there are more for each of the 4 "worlds".

I'm gonna stick with this one, but it's getting really challenging and I'm not even half way through! :)

18. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Kelly,

Neener lol

I cannot stop playing this game. Seriously. I've put in hours and don't even realize how much time has passed.

Billy

Attached Files:

19. Anotherkellydown

Haha, nice! You're not beating me by much, I'll get you ;)

20. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    I've worked with many developers in the past and I understand the struggle. I would expect to see this on Android but not IOS. That's soo much lost revenue. What pisses me off more is that you are an honest guy and your game is actually polished and great AND you are giving it away at 99 cents. It's worth more than that honestly. I'm not saying this to blow smoke up your rear I actually mean it. I also looked at what you proposed about a story mode. I love the idea. I love the graphics. I would gladly pay for it. Please dont short change yourself. I actually wish you would put a coin doubler Iap or something even a donate button. Yesterday I played for over 2 hours. I've almost upgraded the most powerful ship on the second tier of levels. When I am finished I'm going to tear it up lol. Congrats on the charts. Pretty awesome.

I've recently become disabled after so many years of public service and its games like this that help me forget my pain for a little while. Thank you!

Billy