Universal Galactic Keep (by Gilded Skull Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Aug 19, 2015.

1. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    I haven't put much time into the game but I believe the hardcore mode is intended more as a risk/reward feature than a "hard mode". You can toggle it any time outside battle, so you could theoretically enable it when you think you have little or no chance of losing a battle and gain the bonus xp.

2. subgenius

subgenius Well-Known Member

May 30, 2014
    Yes, just stole the stranger's sword! Thanks for making "half a mind's eye" boynamedluke. This game is so crazy good.

3. gildedskull

gildedskull Well-Known Member

You can also just drop things on the ground. In your inventory there's a drop button. Your equipped weapon, special and the keys you're holding can't be dropped but everything else can. When something is dropped a treasure token is created that you can pick up later.

However, if you finish the module it resets and anything you dropped or put in chests is gone...so before you end the module you should try to collect up your best stuff.

4. gildedskull

Yes. The characters you level up are all saved. Currently, the character you finish the game with keeps their best items (you don't take crappy weapons, healing items, grenades and keys). We're hoping to add a Temporal Inventory, available from a tile on most maps, that acts as a universal storage space. You'll also be able to swap your character from there. There are a lot of things we wanted to get in the game before we released it but if we kept adding things the game would never have launched!

5. Markku

Markku Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2011
    so bought the game as it sounded cool, am I missing the point? Im just walking around Killing everything in sight or getting killed, is there no missions or story here?

6. TotallyImba

TotallyImba Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2010
    United Kingdom
    Are there bosses or elite enemies in this game which you have to level up before confronting?

7. Opiate

Opiate Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2015
    Yeah there are definetly boss or elite enemies, but whenever I personally encountered one I never ran away to come back later I would just confront them then and there.

8. gildedskull

One little 'buisness' thing that we'd like to ask. If you like the game, please leave a review and rate it on the App Store.

Adding in a personal anecdote goes a long way in helping people with their decision making.

9. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    #129 Dankrio, Aug 21, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
    Sold.

I am going to buy before the price drop, because I really want to support the dev.

I just hope the game isn't too hard for a dumb like me. lol

10. cbk04

cbk04 Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Great game. I just started but when I end my turn with remaining moves I don't seem to be gaining any health. Am I missing something?

11. gildedskull

You're likely in hardcore mode. You can switch out at any time from the options, there's a toggle switch to go back and forth with no penalty.

12. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    Could you please explain how hard-core works? I mean, when you play a game and finish the module, can you go back and run the module again with the same character or other characters? And if that is so after you finish the module once that is it unlock the characters that are deceased to be played again?

13. MagIor

MagIor Member

Aug 6, 2015
    Finished the module. Noticed a bug where the two items you are tasked to get don't show up properly if you've already dropped loot on their locations. Wandered around for ages before noticing the subtle glow.

I still have nfi what pins do, but I got four of them.

I fell asleep shortly after getting the fuel tank and for the life of me could not remember where the flavour text had told me about a generator that was out of fuel. I did backtrack but maybe had dropped items over it.

I don't know if I ever uncovered a secret. Tutorial mentions high luck characters can spot secrets, but I didn't notice this occurring for me.

Figured out the point about grenades, especially useful if you know that getting further damage would cause a block state from the enemy, and you want to get around that by doing a tonne of damage on a single turn. Can't see me needing anywhere near as many as I found however.

Never noticed anything but 2-3 Int rolls. Still unsure what the one upstairs did, even though I succeeded. Will intentionally fail it next time to see. Would have been nice to see the other stats get rolls. Maybe I missed some.

My initial reactions regarding balance were based on Hardcore mode. I must have missed the part of the tutorial/dialogue stating Hardcore mode disables "resting". This was especially the reason I mentioned the difficulty re:robots.

I still hate that the 3x no kill crit can occur when the enemy could be killed by a normal hit.

Although the tutorial mentioned 5 weapon mods for guns, I only got 3 types, I assume this was just RNG.

There seemed to be quite a number more chests than keys. Maybe this feeds back into secrets.

I wish we didn't need to roll for movement in areas we had cleared of all enemies. Backtracking could be tedious.

14. gildedskull

When a character dies while in hardcore, the only way to ever play as that character again is to start a totally new game.

Hardcore is a mode you can turn on and off at will (in game options). If it's on you get an experience bonus when defeating enemies but you don't get the 'convert unused moves to health' bonus and, most importantly, if your character dies it dies forever.

In the standard mode, if you die, your character becomes a 'dead token' on the map. You then roll a new character. When you go to character select, you can't reselect the character that just died. After rolling the new character, they resume somewhere on the same map (the entry point of that map) and can track down the dead characters token. Upon landing in his dead token he's unlocked to use again (if you end up back in character select) and you get all his stuff.

When you finish the module, the character you finish with leaves the level with their stuff. The stats of all the other characters you played as are saved. You can pick a character you've played before or a new one to start the module over.

If you left dead characters in the module when you finish they are gone forever, lost in that time-thread.

If you find an unlockable character they are unlocked forever. If you decide to start a completely new game they'll still be in your roster.

15. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    So essentially because of item drops, you can raise the stats of your character as much as you want? Basiacally grinding modules?

And if you have a storage unit that can be transferred between characters in the future, you could twink another lower level one?

I like this idea, but I just don't see a reason to switch to hardcore. It serves almost no purpose if it can be toggled off and permentant item boost are in place.

16. cenn

cenn Active Member

Aug 14, 2015
    Is there a work around to transfer items from characters who have completed the module, to another character?
    had found weapons for other races and classes, but cant use them with other agents after the module.

17. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Still slightly confused as to how exactly it works powering up characters ect at game end. Is it clear when your about to finish the game meaning you can chose not to yet?

18. gildedskull

If you have a high luck and endurance there is some behind-the-scenes 'magic' with the move rolls when there are no enemies around. You'll notice that the enemy turn becomes shorter and shorter as there are less enemies on the map.

Pins are going to stay a mystery. If you experiment with them, you may be able to figure out what they do. They're also going to tie into a promotion we're going to start soon where if you're the first to post screenshots of particular pins on social media we'll send you the actual pin (and prizes). More on that soon...follow us on Twitter and you'll certainly hear more about it.

The '3x damage but it's left alive' crit is a bitch. We're going to add more crit scenarios in an update and when the pool becomes larger, it will happen less frequently.

19. gildedskull

Ending the Module

There currently isn't one. If you start as the character who finished the module and he dies you can bring another character in to pick up the loot...which is a less than stellar option. Our priorities (after any crash bugs) are: Character select during the game, item repository and mini-map.

To answer jsrcos questions about (1) grinding modules, (2) twinking lower-level characters and (3) the uselessness of hardcore:

(1) You can grind modules but there is a level cap and attribute caps. I'm quite sure the level cap is 20 and the stat cap is 40. Also (this isn't the case now) module level brackets (this module is 6 - 15) will be honored as more modules are released.

(2) Yes, you will be able to give lower level characters stat mods and awesome weapons. We didn't want to restrict weapons and specials by level or stats. If you found a badass weapon, you earned it and you can use it however you want.

(3) Hardcore is for players who want to challenge themselves. Masochists. If you want to take the time to turn it on before a low-level battle to get bonus xp, do it! Just remember to turn it off. I've accidentally left it on for the xp bonus and paid the price several times.

To ste86uk: It's a little hard to explain unless you have seen how it works in the game...but I'll try. I'd let someone who's finished the module explain but it's probably easier if I do it as I know exactly what happens.

You can choose not to end the module at the very end at which point you can choose to go back through most of the maps and clean up the things you left. There's a tile on a map that you can go back to and finish the module at any time and when you land on that tile, it gives you the option to finish the module or continue playing every time.

When you do choose to finish, there's some stuff...and then you are brought back to the main menu where you can choose to 'continue' your game (as normal). When you continue, you choose the module (the only one that's available now) and enter into the character select.

The characters that you played/rolled will be a available, they will all be leveled exactly the same as how you had left them. The character that you finished the module with will be shown equipped with the weapon and special that they ended the previous mission with.

If you choose them you'll enter the module just as you would have the first time, it's reset. Your character will have all the loot that they ended the module with (minus special items, healing items, mods (I think), and a few other things). They will double up on some things if you use them to play through again, for sure, but the randomized loot in the game will assure that they get a lot of new/different stuff too. See: way above :)

Does that explain it?

20. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle

Thank you for the info. This is very awesome to read!