Universal Galactic Keep (by Gilded Skull Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Aug 19, 2015.

1. anabolicMike

anabolicMike Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2013
    #101 anabolicMike, Aug 21, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
    Look amazing. This week has killed my space saving tactics... I need a 256GB iPad. I've only got 10gb left on my 128. 493 apps

So far I've run into a couple problems. I used restrictions to disable a bunch of crap so my four year old girl couldn't delete programs and God knows what else. When I took restrictions off, all my folders were gone, all my nicely made and categorized folders mind you. Anyway, they were gone and all my apps were sitting on the home page. Or should I say pages. I have pages and pages of apps now and they are not in any order or anything... Anyway, I thought I'd start deleting apps that I'll never play (yeah, I buy games and try them for thirteen seconds and never play them again). Anyway, deleting apps is hell. Hold down your finger works well. Jt as soon as you hit that X my tablet hangs for 5 minutes. I know to a normal person 5 minutes sounds like a short time but all you guys know that for any computer device taking 60 seconds is way to long, 5 minutes is eternity and means it's time for an upgrade or a virus clean.

So yeah. The downside of having 15 home pages is the confusion and slowness while doing anything... Now I know 20*15 isn't 493 but some of my folders got saved. All the kids ones were fine. Only the ones that got hid are gone. My god did I ever go off topic

2. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    I am willing to break my policy on not buying newer games before I clear most of my backlog.

This game seems to have so much love put into it and looks really nice, so I am inclined to reward the developers.

Congratulations!

Ps: The part of being hard put me a little off, though. lol

3. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    IMHO it would play a little slow for a roguelike.

There will be other scenarios.

If it gets to the point where you can play user-created content that would be fantastic!

4. EvilDucktator

EvilDucktator 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Sep 28, 2011
    Walt Disney World Cast Member
    Brisbane, Australia
    Thanks, seems fair. You have a sale by the way :) Game Development student as of this time next month so I can call this 'study' ;)

Will pimp this to my fellow students and teachers! :)

5. gildedskull

gildedskull Well-Known Member

The Stranger is probably the most challenging enemy in the game. He's an homage to the thief in Zork 1 (check out the 404 page of our website, btw ). He's a jerk, but if you kill him you get his OP sword...which you may not want to use all the time because it generates a lot of messages. haha.

Normal frag grenades give you a damage bonus several turns down the road. Soften an enemy up, throw a grenade, block, then attack as the grenade goes off to kill it. With fire. Flash Bang grenades allow you to flee from combat, which is often invaluable. The plasma grenades were initially created for use on the map to disable enemies, freeze them in place for x turns, in addition to having a use in battle. You're right, they should be more powerful than frag grenades until they can be used on the map. We'll fix that.

Both robots that are playable in the game (yes, there are two) start with quite strong weapons and have great specials. It's a challenge to play as a robot most of the time (until you collect enough healing items). If you block at the right time and have high STR and END you can usually keep your health up. There are other tricks you can discover if you like to play robots.

Specials in general are made to be suited to a player's style. Some are OP but usually there's a tradeoff to using them. Sometimes there isn't and they exist to level the playing field. Bio-Stun, which stuns organic enemies 60% of the time, is OP when it works, but it doesn't always work the way you want it to. If you encounter a robot enemy, it won't work at all. As you discover more specials your options will open up.

6. The Son of Anarchy

The Son of Anarchy Well-Known Member

May 14, 2012
    I came across something named Vegan TNT, something along the lines of a healing item and if you ripped the top off of it, poison was released. I'll have to pay more attention next time but immediately I thought of Vegan TNT here, a name I haven't seen for awhile.

7. Ghostdog1

Ghostdog1 Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Completed my first playthrough and it was really a blast. Won the game with Casper Keller - the gharsos warrior. Leveled him to 14 and had never any big problems. The character revive is really genius in this game.
    Love the story and the ending.
    Will play it now with one of my new 6 unlocked characters.
    Just wow. This is a masterpiece.

8. ShinHadoukin

ShinHadoukin Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2015
    What a fantastic game!!! If you are trying to decide, stop thinking & buy it!!!!! Premium at its absolute finest!!!! This game is fantastic!!!!! Headphones for sure!!!

Thank you for creating this game!!!!!

9. smiffee666

smiffee666 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 29, 2012
    UK
    insta-bought this and will try it soon, work and kids keep getting in the way, good to see the dev here and just want to say the art looks fantastic, 7 hours and counting til i can have a go, both this and ff7 in the same week, i feel faint haha

10. TotallyImba

TotallyImba Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2010
    United Kingdom
    I can't hold back..... I'm going to buy this game based on all the love it is receiving and for the fact that anything which has taken 6 years to make just be special.

Finish it for me, does game progress sync between devices and if so is this using iCloud or game centre to do it?

11. Trevmayne

Trevmayne Member

Aug 17, 2015
    On the playability of robots: Restricted healing? I didn't like the sound of it either, but then I finally broke down and rolled Mharnos, who I only intended to send in to snatch his coalition brethren's corpses and then lay down and die so I could bring the cavalry back in. But, as luck would have it he rolled some stellar stat bonuses and ended up being the way I finally took down The Stranger. I never got to bring in that cavalry because he's now level 10 and hasn't died since he took The Stranger down at level 6, thanks, in no small part, due to the lovely Blinding Blade. TLDR: Robots are awesome

I have a few questions I haven't been able to find any answers to anywhere else so I'm hoping that someone here has some more insight than I. First, having died relatively few times I'm running into problems with storage (especially with the blinding blade equipped). I'm constantly finding shiny new weapons I want to hold on to for other characters, but since characters drop their weapons upon death I find myself holding onto all kinds of trinkets, most of them class or race specific for other characters. Is there any place/method for storing this gear so that it's accessible early or at the start of another characters life?
    Second, I understand that this might only be a problem for me and a small handful of others, as I am playing on a small device (an ol' 5S), but I feel like the portion of the map I can fit on my screen very cramped and tiny. I catch myself absentmindedly trying to pinch to zoom as I struggle to try and scroll around a map to see where an enemy has fled off to.
    Third, and I know this is silly, but I gotta say all the pop up messages about the horrible stench that was supposed to be making my character so uneasy as he trudged through the sewers were rendered a bit ineffective every time they appeared next to the picture of Mharnos. A robot who removed his own emotion protocols is supposed to have some sort of olfactory sense that can't be overridden and shut down?

12. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Yes it syncs with iCloud.
    It's a manual option in the settings (you can send or pull a save from iCloud).
    Works like a charm.

13. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Just a question if anyone can help please, I haven't had chance to play yet as I'm waiting for the weekend when I can sit down and play for hours. I was wondering as somebody said they completed the game and will replay with other unlocked charachters, so can you play and level up different charachters all under the same save? So that if there ever is extra content added you have a group of fully levelled guys?

14. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    #114 Misguided, Aug 21, 2015
    Really surprised to see anyone complain about balance issues and then imply robots are too hard to play in the same post. Robots are crazy strong from what I've seen so far. And fortunately for me, the first character I unlocked was the other robot GildedSkull mentioned, so if I do lose Mharnos, I can send the other on a rescue mission.

15. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Your guys start out from scratch each "run". "Runs" are long. It's not like it's a run, more like a short campaign. Hard to describe. This is unique.

To be more clear, you roll your guys starts each run and then off you go on your merry way.

16. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    It will be so interesting if/when Sword of the Stars: The Pit comes to iOS. That is a genuine rogue-like and a successful run can easily last 40+ hours :D

17. Bohampscious

Bohampscious Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Great, great game. Finally had to force myself to shut it down tonight since I need to be up in 5 hours. #

Thanks so much devs!

18. Mooro

Mooro Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2010
    This looks very interesting. Just wondering if there is a story or plot behind the game or is it just a series of missions.

19. symmetrian

symmetrian Active Member

Jul 21, 2011
    It's a shame that ending turns early in hardcore mode does not restore any health. I didn't see that mentioned anywhere and it takes some strategy out of play (and made it zero fun, for me, as I was struggling to keep enough items on hand to heal and there are no other options).

Restarting on normal now. I love the presentation and gameplay otherwise.

20. The Son of Anarchy

The Son of Anarchy Well-Known Member

May 14, 2012
    #120 The Son of Anarchy, Aug 21, 2015
    I agree, Robots are very awesome... and on the subject of running out of storage space, I just put all the weapons, items and stuff not applicable to the current character in one of the storage boxes to access with the eventual next character I choose.

Edit: I just gotta add that this game is truly amazing once it clicks, I don't think I've felt this way about an iOS game since Dream Quest.