Universal Galactic Keep (by Gilded Skull Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Aug 19, 2015.

1. ashmike3

ashmike3 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2014
    A real treat so far. Love the art style and the gameplay is unique and a lot of fun. Well done

2. CoreyFox

CoreyFox Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Galactic Keep is a wonderful game. I was not playing board games in the 90's ( I actually never have), but this games drops me into the feeling that I am playing one.. It's great, and challenging.. I love the implimentaton of rolling for character stats..

I love this genre; with games like this and, Loot & Legends..

Has anyone cleared the first level yet? I have gotten killed 3 or 4 times and (so far) have just been starting a new game instead of starting a new character.. Lots of baddies to fight!

For me, this is not a fast paced game.. You can log in and fight one baddie and then close out the game and come back for more later.. Or you can sit down and sink yourself into exploring the map for a good while - if you stay alive, that is..

3. gildedskull

gildedskull Well-Known Member

If you die with one character you roll another character and enter the same map with that character. You can track back to where the first character died and if you collect his body (land on his dead token), you get all the loot he was holding and he is unlocked again so that if you happen to die with the second character you can select the first character again...if that makes sense.

4. gildedskull

Game Center is required for the iCloud save so that's why we had to activate it early. Achievements will be added at some point.

5. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    If I may I would like to add, for the story nuts like me, that everything that might be weird at start...like the char 'resurrection', the temporal confusion and everything...will make total sense when you will uncover more of the story (which is fantastic, by the way).

6. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    #86 ste86uk, Aug 20, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2015

I think he meant what happens if all but 1 are dead and then the last one dies? Purchased but not much time to play yet, I do dislike random rolls at times as it often seems so unfair and I hate random stat rolls for characters : ( yet given all the positive feedback I'll try to ignore that and try anyway.

Edit: It's strange though that this and another released this week don't show on the App Store as released this week.

7. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Man there went 30 minutes of my lunch to this game lol. So do we just keep dying and cycling characters in order to open the chests or is there another objective?

8. walsh06

walsh06 Well-Known Member

That's hilarious. First time I come on TA for 6+ months and I see an instantly recognizable picture of Galactic Keep on the front page, a game I have been waiting 6 years to come out. And to find my character could still be in the game. That's just hilarious.

9. Carabak

Carabak Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2015
    Wow. Really nice game. The sound effects really add atmosphere and a kind of 80s arcade game feel. Really looking forward to playing this a lot.

10. returnity

returnity Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2013
    The game is fantastic! Having a blast so far! But whichever direction I go, there comes a point where you have to face level 15ish enemies with your level 7 char. You either get instakilled or you run away without triggering a confrontation.

Right now my primary mission is guarding my ship, LOL:)

Any hints would be appreciated ;)

11. gildedskull

If they are all dead and the last one dies it's game over. It's quite difficult to get to that point but not impossible.

12. Valentia

Valentia Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Jan 20, 2009
    Female
    Retired!
    California
    As I said on the main TA pages, I've been playing this for 6 hours today and am going right back to it now. I love it, just love everything about it, and I am having so much fun!

13. gildedskull

Check the enemy stats on their 'large cards'. Sometimes they can be a high level with low strength or endurance (if both are low, they will hit and block for a lot less and their health will be low). Also, try knocking their health down a bit then use a Flash Bang to flee, heal yourself, then attack them again. The higher the enemy level, the more xp so it's worth taking them out.

Hunt down creatures that have fled from you to get the xp. Btw: Any creature, even ones that you have fled from, won't attack you if their health is too low and they will try to escape from you if they see you.

14. CoreyFox

Jul 4, 2015
    Thank you for explaining this.. that is genius.. love it..

15. MagIor

MagIor Member

Aug 6, 2015
    The Stranger can go die in a fire.

*Steals Primary Weapon*
    *Steals Secondary Weapon*
    *Flees*

---

For those with no issues Save Scumming, iCloud saves don't auto update, so you can attempt something and then reload the earlier save if you have issues.

---

Although the game has grown on me, I wouldn't have given it the score given out. There is a tremendous amount of balance issues, some completely pointless items (Grenades are already pretty much pointless, but you decided to have a grenade limited to two classes and is rarer, that does LESS damage than a conventional grenade?), some completely unbalanced races (Oh yes, you can play as a robot, pity you won't find anything to actually provide you with healing), and some ridiculously imbalanced specials.

Add to this the game States in the tutorial that if you end turn with movement points left, you will rest and regain some small amount of HP. Yeah... At least in my game, that doesn't happen.

It almost feels like no one made an attempt to clear the game with some specials or some characters... I can state right now that without some excessive save Scumming, it would be pretty much impossible to clear the game with some of those characters and specials.

---

*Enemy is on 2 hp*
    *Critical hit for 3x damage, but leaves the monster alive*
    *Enemy is in 1 hp, kills your character*

16. CoreyFox

Jul 4, 2015
    The rest-heal feature works just fine - it is a great way to recharge health..

17. deekins77

deekins77 Member

Apr 26, 2015
    How much replayability is there here? Never played a game like this and was just wondering. From all the buzz on TA I'm certainly looking for a reason to check it out

18. gildedskull

...but it isn't active in hardcore mode. You can switch out of hardcore mode in options.

19. The Son of Anarchy

The Son of Anarchy Well-Known Member

May 14, 2012
    I'm not having ANY of the issues or problems you're having with the game. Dude who made it spent years balancing the game just right. I will say that there definately comes a point in the game where everything just clicks with your mind, whereas beforehand it might not have made complete sense. Once it clicks though... everything is golden and you settle in, put your feet up, adjust the volume and drift into the world GS has created.

20. zen_mode

zen_mode Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Sydney
    I'm also wondering about replayability. While the maps aren't procedurally generated, I'm guessing that the randomised enemy stats, loot etc will make replaying worthwhile just for the opportunity to experiment?

Its a shame it doesn't have procedurally generated maps actually. It probably would of made a decent roguelike combined with the permadeath mode.