Universal Galactic Keep (by Gilded Skull Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Aug 19, 2015.

1. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Digging it so far. Was doing ok until I had a series of three consecutive fights (the last of which was from an enemy I hadn't yet seen and skipped my turn multiple times). Hard to tell how long it is or anything of that nature (though the sense from beta testers was that it is sizable).

I do have some minor (very minor aside from the first) nits to pick. It's hard to believe that no one suggested in testing (especially with the ability to equip items directly when you find them) it would be nice to be able to see stats of what you are currently using when browsing stuff you found.

Early on, your turn gets skipped with relative frequency because of enemy abilities. This isn't especially fun as a player.

It seems a bit odd that you must get next to an opponent to fight them when you have ranged weapons. I think this is a matter of presentation more than anything.

The style is definitely unique. Gameplay is engaging so far. Looking forward to playing some more.

2. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Oh boy!

3. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Just loot, I think.

Baddies do move around quite a bit while you're playing though... ;)

4. gildedskull

gildedskull Well-Known Member

Each treasure chest has a pool of items in it, a random number of which are granted when the chest is opened. Some chests have a set number of items in them but most are randomized.

Enemies are fixed in numbers. We thought of most enemies as 'packs' that act sort of like encounters in a tabletop roleplaying game. "You turn the corner and are confronted by three slack-jawed kobalds!". Their levels change within a bracket (for example, they could be level 3-6) and their stats are rolled like a player, except behind the scenes. The loot granted after defeating an enemy is usually randomized from a set pool of items like the treasure loot.

5. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Downloading now!

6. Saucepolicy

Saucepolicy Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Feb 18, 2009
    Crispy ex-game developer
    This was the very first game I put on my watch list at the dawn of Touch Arcade. Can't believe it's finally here, and didn't succumb to the Duke Nukem Forever curse. Miracles do happen! :)

7. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Ooo I'm buying this I think I'll boot it up before ff7 even.

How is it so far for people that have played? Is it worth exploring everywhere you can or just moving forward as quickly as you can?

I see people said its a roguelike here but it's not mentioned on the game description? Do you make a charachter and play until you die and then start over then? If so anything carry over to make you more powerful next time? Just wondering how the gameplay works.

8. bubby525

bubby525 New Member

Mar 31, 2015
    Honestly explore everywhere for more items. And when you die with one character you come back as another character in the roster and you can take the dead characters loot. It's an awesome game so far.

9. icepulse

icepulse Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2008
    I wold have enjoyed the ability to scroll back through the combat dialog, and some ranged attacks would've been nice. Tossing a grenade into a room to thin the herd, for example.

10. gildedskull

All good ideas and planned for a future update. Also: traps (player set and enemy set); scout bots, light bots and scan/flare grenades; creature beacons (that draw beasts to them)...and more.

11. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Congrats on the release Gilded. I've bought it and looking forward to getting into it.

12. PBSNellie

PBSNellie Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Southern CA
    I have a question: Where do you go to revisit your mission? I don't see a button that tells you what the current mission is. I have no problem wandering around, but I forgot what I was supposed to be looking for!

13. Lokai

Lokai Member

Jan 16, 2014
    Los Angeles
    I've only played a hour or so of this so far, but I'm really impressed. The text for combat and exploration is detailed, yet not cumbersome at all, and the normal non-hardcore mode feels plenty difficult with enemies having a wide range of levels all over the first module. By that I mean that you can run into a level 18 enemy while you are level 6-8 pretty damn easily, but you can also flee from them and come back later, or use some nifty items to pull you through the huge level gap.

14. barefootdragon

barefootdragon Well-Known Member

May 21, 2015
    What a fantastic game. Cheers to the Devs. Money well spent and time enjoyed.

15. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Am I missing something or is the block command on a 2 turn cooldown? I can't seem to find any information in the rules about this.

16. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    The TBS Duke Nukem of iOS gaming and Demon's Rise on the same night... I'll be pressing turn timers to no end.

17. gildedskull

Block has a 2 turn cooldown if you attack or use your special. If you use an item, that turn isn't counted as a cooldown turn.

18. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    Thanks! This really should be mentioned in either the tutorial or the rulebook. (and if it already is, sorry ^_^)

19. gildedskull

I once heard a 'famous' game designer say that a game shouldn't have more than four pages of instructions or people won't read them.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

When I was a kid I'd scour through game manuals for tips and information, reading every page over and over.

That said, I looked over the instruction/help pages in the game and there's nothing about blocking cooldown. I think it's because the game rules have been in flux up until a couple months ago. Look for it to be included in the next update :)

20. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    Haha it's understandable :)