Universal Galactic Keep (by Gilded Skull Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Aug 19, 2015.

1. Son of Anarchy

Son of Anarchy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2015
    Male
    Shadow Runner
    Australia
    I like Baldurs Gate and I like this game. As for you, who knows? All I can say is, if you like turn based strategy, discovering a strange world unlike anything you've ever seen before, bucketfuls of atmosphere and gameplay that drives and compels you till the end and leaves you wanting more... then you're in for quite a treat my friend :)

2. gildedskull

gildedskull Well-Known Member

Still looking for a Porthole Pin on Twitter, tweet a screen of it with the hashtag #GKnov08 to get it!

DIRECT LINK TO THE TWEET

3. BlingBlang

BlingBlang Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    I love this game so far. Collecting loot, leveling up characters, etc. This is right up my alley.

Few comments:
    - I found the tutorial wasn't extensive enough. I kept dying in the beginning and had no idea why. I had to read this thread to understand the fundamentals of this game.

- Biggest thing was disarm: I was without a weapon, the game didn't tell me that I had to re-equip it manually (even after a battle). Furthermore, if a disarm had specific rounds before i can equip that specific weapon again, there should be an indication on that weapon card

- Whenever I died, I completely restarted the game thinking that this is a conventional RPG type game instead of being able to use another character to retrieve the body of the dead one and reuse. Was this in the tutorial or some dialog box I missed? Wasted a lot of time there.

- I did not know about the "? Need help?" button in the menu until just now (after tons of deaths and fumbling around).

- The game starts out super hard. I forget how many times I died on various characters. It's not clear in the beginning whether or not I should keep switching characters after death or stick with one and level it up.

- Just from looking at each character card on the selection screen, it's not clear who's better at what and their abilities (other than the 4 stat numbers).

- What's the difference between projectiles vs melee weapons? You still have to stand right next to the enemy to attack.

- As others have mentioned, the ability to scroll up on the combat log would be nice. Sometimes the text scrolls so fast I didn't know what happened last turn. Also, specials like the medic that heals over several turns don't show up in the log. It should tell me that this turn I healed for x amount.

- I am down in the sewers after the robot kidnaps me. My pack is always full and I have no way of storing that loot somewhere so that I can give it to my other characters. I know I can put it into containers or drop it to the ground, but I am so far away from the starting point that I can't do that.

- I want to play some music or podcasts while playing this game (since most of the game does not have music). But once I switch to the game, my music/podcast stops. Can you please allow this?

- Maybe it's the 2D nature of the game, but on my 6S+, it barely drains my battery while playing for long durations. LOVE THIS! Some other 3D turn based games (like WH40k Deathwatch) takes a long time to play due to the animations and etc AND it drains my battery super quick.

Sorry for this rambling post, it's more of a thought dump ^_^ Don't get me wrong, I put in all of the comments above because I love this game! Looking forward to more updates in the future.

4. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    That's just plan evil. Please give us some sort of a hint.

5. gildedskull

#545 gildedskull, Nov 10, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
    Good to see that you are enjoying the game! We have looked into some of these...and some are currently on our list of priorities.

We tried to get through the fundamentals in the tutorial. There are some things that we don't cover...but they are covered once you get into the game or (if you can find it!) the help booklet (which, joking aside, isn't supposed to be hidden...).

So, we used to have it set so that the player would automatically equip a weapon if they become disarmed. Not in battle (that costs a turn and is messaged somewhat clearly), but as soon as the battle was over, the player would equip a weapon. Right at launch a player discovered a crash bug related to a specific weapon and a sentient enemy type who could steal and then auto-equip it. We haven't gone back and repaired it for playable characters...but we will.

Yikes! Nope, this game has a pretty unique system of resuming. There should be messaging in the game that explains it every time you die...It says you have to come back with another character and then lands you in character select. I'll double check it...

I *think* this is messaged at the end of the tutorial...or if you quit the tutorial early. I'll check and make sure that it's active.

That's pretty much your choice. The deal is (at least in the current version): Switch characters a lot and spread the xp around or keep to a couple characters and focus the xp on leveling them up, getting them stronger. Sticking with the fewest characters possible is likely a good idea. Soon you will be able to swap characters much more easily, this will be in the next update, so managing your xp will be even more important.

That is true. We'd like to add a section to the help/rules that goes over the characters/species/classes. The first time you create a character there's a little blurb about the species and that's it. For now it's kind of a dark pit that you're forced to jump into.

All combat currently happens in close quarters, and yes, the stats of the weapons are the only difference. Also, some weapons disarm swords. Various mods are only usable on projectile weapons and not blade weapons. We'd like to add weapons that deal 'remote' damage outside of battle (grenades, sniping, rockets) in an update. This is something that we're reviewing...

Noted. This is on our to-do list.

The next update will have a 'remote storage area' that is accessible from several maps where items can be stored. It'll be accessible between playthroughs.

This is on our to-do list.

One of our goals was to keep the power drain to a minimum. Glad you noticed!

Good to hear. More is on the way :)

6. faceleg

faceleg Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2015
    Software Engineer
    Auckland, NZ
    Sounds pretty damn good to me.

7. BlingBlang

Mar 11, 2009
    I just got to the end of module where I can choose to complete it. Will all the gear in my inventory be kept? If so, do I just start a new game afterwards with another character and i will have all my items in his inventory?

8. BlingBlang

Mar 11, 2009
    Duplicate message.

9. gildedskull

Currently, the character who completes the module keeps all the loot. If you choose 'continue' after completing the module and then pick a new character, they start fresh. If you go back to the original character at any time (if the new character dies) they'll still have the loot. This is something that we're dealing with in the next update (we're submitting soon!): it will have an 'item repository' where loot can be stored and a way to swap characters.

For now, start fresh or use your old character...soon you will be able to move items around and switch characters with ease.

10. BlingBlang

Mar 11, 2009
    Great! This update cannot come soon enough. Guess I'll hold off on playing with another character until then.

11. gildedskull

Theoretically, it would be fine if you continued with a new character, leveled them up a bit and waited for the update. We submitted it yesterday!

Once the update is live, you will be able to switch to your old character, load your loot into storage and then switch back to the new character. Switching costs expperience but the experience loss will decrease if you use the character you swapped (and you can't lose a level, just a % of the exp you've collected towards the character's next level).

12. gildedskull

#552 gildedskull, Nov 18, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
    Galactic Keep Version 1.7 is LIVE!

A quick note to let you know that GK version 1.7 is up on the App Store.

In this, the biggest update yet: Seek out a 'Temporal Hub' that will allow you to switch characters (at a cost) and store items (at no cost!). Access the stored inventory from any other hub (there are several in the first module). Check out the 'BASICS' section of help (?) for more information. This version has some hefty bug fixes and script edits too.

This is a big change to the game and we really want to hear what you think.

We take the opinions of our players very seriously (if you hadn't noticed). Also, if you see anything strange in the game (bugs, typos etc.) please let us know and we'll fix them!

13. Solarclipse

Solarclipse Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Woot!

14. brybry

brybry Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2013
    I found a bug.
    When trying to engage with the robot covered in camo in the small closet, the game crashes. Unfortunately, my character died in the closet so I can go get my loot or send my dead character back to head quarters.im not sure what the level is called, but it's where there's muck surrounding the entire level and the only way to leave is to use the teleporter.
    If you have any advice for me, I'd appreciate it.

15. gildedskull

#555 gildedskull, Nov 18, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
    We're looking into it. Any additional information would help. Did you update to the newest version? When you continue, you should be starting immediately before you engage the robot.

Did you (spoiler)
    defeat all the tehrak in the area outside of where you found the robot in the closet? Just so you know, finding and engaging with the robot is not required for the story to progress.

16. gonif

gonif Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2013
    I put a bunch of stuff in the temporal thingy, then saved the game. Upon reloading that save, the stuff was gone. Should I be concerned, or do I fail to grasp the concept of the new box?

17. gildedskull

This is just a shot in the dark, but did you check your inventory for the items you placed into the hub? If you didn't move, the save may not have included your hub visit, the save may have brought you back to before you placed the items in the hub.

18. gildedskull

Okay. Here's what we found: First, make sure that you have the most up-to-date build of the game. Try restarting it completely, the game will automatically try to replace any (possibly) corrupt/bad files. Let us know if that worked.

19. Solarclipse

Solarclipse Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2012
    No problems so far! I hadn't played for a while and am enjoying the zoom feature now as well.

Now it's more fun to play with all the characters :)

I guess there will be a few bug fixes to go with this new feature, but the next move is a new module right?

20. Eldrane

Eldrane New Member

Jul 8, 2012
    How to end the game?

Hi all, can someone help me understand where I am in the game, I think I've completed the game but can't see how to escape?
    Where is the final exit?
    Is there a map I can make my way toward?
    Any help appreciated, great game!