Universal Galactic Keep (by Gilded Skull Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Aug 19, 2015.

1. davidovich

davidovich Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Hey there. I don't have a screenshot but I recall seeing the first instance of "machinery" spelled "machenery." Hope that helps.

2. gildedskull

gildedskull Well-Known Member

The new update is out, this one is a bit larger than past updates! It adds pinch-zoom, a much requested feature. We've also fixed a lot of other issues. Take it for a spin and please let us know what you think!

3. kid

kid Active Member

Oct 27, 2008
    is there a walk through guide for this game anywhere? I've searched but can't find one. I finished the mission but there were still places and chests that I couldn't get to/open.

4. Tulki

Tulki Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2014
    The new zoom option is very nice!

But I have a question about stat caps. I'm playing as Trave Rek and I noticed my strength won't go above 32. The game doesn't stop me from choosing strength at level up, nor does it stop me from using permanent strength boosters even though neither has any effect. I also don't see any notes about stat caps in the help menu unless I missed it.

Is this intended? It seems like the game should be notifying the player about these caps.

5. gildedskull

That wasn't intentional. Items for capped stats and the option to increase that stat at level-up should be disabled. We're looking into it...

6. OrangeJews

OrangeJews Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2013
    Something needs to be done about the tutorial. This game seems to have great potential and looks great, but the tutorial alone made me lose interest in it. It's very tedious and I wouldn't even mind the handholding if it wasn't spread over so many messages. At least replacing three small text boxes with a large one would make it far less annoying. It honestly felt like that intro level from Blood Dragon.

7. gildedskull

Using a larger text box is something we could attempt.

There's a lot of info to go through in the tutorial...but you can choose to skip it or quit out of it at (almost) any time. It's certainly not a necessity. You can get all the info that's in the tutorial in the help section of the game...or by just playing.

Funny, some people have said the tutorial should be more extensive.

We'll take another look at it, see if some of the messaging could be lumped or truncated.

8. Tulki

Tulki Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2014
    #508 Tulki, Oct 19, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
    Just beat the first module this morning... took almost eight hours, I didn't expect it to be so big. xD

I really enjoyed it and I'm going to power through with my beefy Trave Rek again since there were a few side areas that looked too scary the first time around.

More feedback items! Some of these are probably too specific and subjective, but here goes:

- Typos. They're rare but due to how immersive the rest of the writing is, they're a bit distracting. If you have a way to dump all the strings and run a spellchecker over them, this might help. I remember 'show' being spelled 'how' in the last room. Unfortunately I didn't note the others. Again, not too bad though because these only stick out due to the high quality of writing overall.

- The art is fantastic. This isn't an item for improvement. It's just props. The bio-mechanical looking skull robot portraits near the end were especially strange and creepy. I love how foreign and disturbing a world you painted. Is this inspired by anything or is it all your creation? Because I -really- like this universe for a table-top game.

- After completing and re-entering the first module with Trave Rek, my rifle lost all of its attached mods. I'm guessing this is probably intentional to prevent someone from trivializing future modules with insane firearms, but I'm bringing it up just in case. A tutorial pop-up about what does and doesn't go with you between modules would be VERY nice.

- Base weapons and special skills go with you between modules. This would probably require a lot of work, but it would be nice to have an armory of sorts between modules. Maybe an unlock system where you permanently unlock a base weapon or special in the armory the first time you leave a module with it, and you can then generate a copy of a single weapon and special on subsequent runs? It would create a nice meta-game of filling out the collection, and it would make it clearer how your future loadouts are determined before you dive in. I have a lot of skills already that I don't want to throw away just in case I want to use them later, so they're taking up inventory slots.

I'm looking forward to the next module!

9. gildedskull

You should still have the mods in your inventory, they're just stripped from your weapon. If they aren't (and they are gone completely), let me know.

Between modules, the character who finished the module should still have the weapon that they completed the module with...and they should have their complete inventory minus several types of things. Here's a list of the things that don't carry into a second play-through:

- Healing items
    - Stat mods and buffs
    - Crappy swords and firearms (that can be easily found again)
    - The Blinding Blade

Other than that one sword, all weapons (and specials) that were found should be carried over (by the character who completed the module). Other characters who played will keep their stats but will return with their default weapon/special combo. We're working on an 'item repository' and character swapping...but these are going to require a lot of testing.

Good suggestions overall, we'll look them over and discuss.

10. gildedskull

#510 gildedskull, Oct 19, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
    Okay, so I looked into this, tested the stat caps...and this should be working (it was fixed several updates ago). If you have capped a stat ( :) ) you should receive a message saying so *UNLESS* the stat is being artificially heightened with an equipped weapon/special that raises that stat to/past the max. If that's the case, the stat will continue to be updated 'underneath' the equipped weapon attribute mod. If you unequip the weapon, you should see that your stat may not be at the cap and can still be modified or increased when you level-up. Is this the case?

We could message something like 'Your stat was just increased but your weapon is bringing you to the maximum for this attribute.' when a mod is used, maybe.

11. Tulki

Tulki Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2014
    Ohhh sorry about that, I thought about item buffs but not gear buffs. So maybe the game wasn't letting me waste level-ups in strength... maybe it was just capped by my equipped weapon and the base stat was still rising. I do know that when I tried using a temporary str +2 item at the cap it DID stop me. Things might be working as intended.

12. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    I have to ask is hardcore mode even winnable? I've tried it 4 times and haven't been able to get very far into the game without my first character dying.

13. OrangeJews

OrangeJews Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2013
    Thing is, I do want a tutorial. I don't want to skip it and end up confused. But it feels so condescending to the player when it takes so much time to explain every feature. I found myself groaning every time I pressed the okay button and got another text box - I was aching to do something. The gist is - tutorials should give the player some freedom to explore and make mistakes while guiding them towards understanding. I dunno, maybe it's just my short attention span or something :)

14. Solarclipse

Solarclipse Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Definitely. I started a new character on hardcore and made it through. But that's after knowing the modules really well...and loading cloud saves before if a locker is useless so I don't waste the key. # and getting a good roll helps...
    With more experience you see how important blocking is and stat modifiers for yourself...and reducers for the enemy. They'll get less life from blocking. There really is a fair amount of strategy to it.

15. Solarclipse

Solarclipse Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Yeah, Devs can't please everyone. It is very short, though. I found in my first play through that I died in about ten minutes—which was pretty thrilling. But I went through the tutorial again to see if I had missed anything. I'm glad it wasn't much longer or more baked into the module itself...then I'd have to go through it each time. My hats off to the Devs on this one. A lot of thought.

Looking forward to the shared locker and of course the next module. Is the locker looking more complicated then you first thought, GS?

16. Tulki

Tulki Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2014
    Oh and yes, my weapon mods were detached and in my inventory after the module ended. Sorry for raising false alarm bugs. >_<

17. gildedskull

Good to hear that it wasn't a bug!

18. TotallyImba

TotallyImba Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2010
    United Kingdom
    I don't want to sound like a troll but what makes this game so good? From the videos it looks really slow and a bit boring?

19. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA