Universal Galactic Conflict RTS (by Bitmen)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by strivemind, Mar 13, 2013.

1. MarkFromBitmenStudios

MarkFromBitmenStudios Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2011
    IT Architecture, Development Project Manager
    Austria, Europe
    Small update with a few fixes

Ok, I submitted a first update to Apple with the most critical fixes. I haven't included any additional features, the goal was to get rid of the most critical things.
    • Fixed a bug that caused ships to become stuck in destroyed jump gates. As a consequence, you were running the risk of not being able to finish missions that involve gates and had to restart.
    • Fixed a bug with one of the triggers in Wet Your Hands that made it unnecessarily hard.
    • Font sizes, particularly on iPhone, have been increased.
    • Easy campaign is now slightly easier overall.
    • Typos in german localization.

I didn't replace the buttons, tried out the new ones and they did not fit.

2. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Still no feedback from people playing on the small screen? I guess I'll take the plunge. I know I'll buy it eventually anyway :p

3. g0omba

g0omba Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2012
    This game looks awesome, let us know how it plays on the iPhone. May have to wait until it drops in price unfortunately but keep up the good work. I think the iOS needs more solid RTS titles!

4. Wrath

Wrath Well-Known Member

May 26, 2011
    Seattle
    One thing I was doing when playing on iPhone was to keep taking screenshots and then opening up the Photo album so I could zoom in to find out what the goals were (the game pauses when you multitask). Soooo much easier to play on the iPad, but at least a fix has been submitted to fix the font for iPhone, since it's impossible for me to read it currently as is.

Really enjoying the game, and if multiplayer has teams rather than just one-on-one, that would be something else I would to look forward to. :)

5. worldcitizen1919

worldcitizen1919 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    I give it the thumbs up. 5 stars! Worth every cent! Highly recommended. The Dev is very quick to see that things go smooth and is a credit to his profession. He's put out an excellent game of very high quality and deserves to be paid. Lost $10 on bad apps this week that were really beta and its refreshing that this game works so well. I'm using ipad 3 and this is a keeper for me.

6. Sheinfell

Sheinfell Well-Known Member

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    Has teams? Check.
    The team maps are 2v2, saw it when I started MP to see what the interface looks like.

Mark, can you do free for all on the 4player maps, too?

---
    Oh, and I finally managed to win a Skirmish vs the Normal AI. Tough cookie :)
    Took me 18 minutes, nowhere near the ~10 Mark posted.

7. Sheinfell

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    Nice, won on the Confrontation map in 12:34 vs. normal AI, without colonising a second planet. Getting better at it ;)

8. MarkFromBitmenStudios

Apr 4, 2011
    Austria, Europe
    Wrath, it makes me really feel bad that the fonts gave you so much trouble on the iPhone. I'm also beyond 40 and starting to suffer from presbyopia (on the right eye more than on the left) and I hate it. Still, the game needs to be playable for everybody, it's unacceptable. I can only ask you to try out the new version once it will be out.

Apple has UI guidelines that tells you the minimum height for buttons (44), minimum font size, etc. The game now follows all guidelines but it's worth jack if you still can't read it. Please do me a favor and tell me immediately if there's still issues in 1.1 once it will be out and I will patch it some more!

Like Sheinfell said, team games are already in btw. I didn't include FFA, however, I don't see a technical reason why it should not work, most likely the reason is that I don't like FFA so I left it out, lol.

Congratulations! Those skills will come handy in multiplayer. :)

9. Turk

Turk Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Anybody have gameplay footage to post? I think that'd help persuade some more people who may be on the fence.

10. Kour

Kour Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2009
    This needs to get more attention aye. Really nice stuff.

11. islesfan

islesfan Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2012
    Male
    Teacher
    Nevada
    Thank you! I got to the first mission and I get to build about 5 ships, then the giant swarm arrives and destroys everything. Game over. Very frustrating.

12. MarkFromBitmenStudios

Apr 4, 2011
    Austria, Europe
    #92 MarkFromBitmenStudios, Mar 17, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
    Multiplayer glitch

This won't happen anymore in 1.1. BTW, the workaround in 1.0 is: build all buildings first, save up a bit of metal, and only then start building ships. In 1.1 you can play normal, but if you can't wait, the above strategy works too.

Small heads up to those playing multiplayer. I played a few multiplayer games yesterday and it was a lot of fun but then I talked to somebody who has played a girl from China who abused a glitch that makes it possible to build ships even when you are lacking the resources (using a technique I don't want to explain in detail). It's only possible with long latency times (e.g. playing somebody at the other end of the world) but still a big problem as this gives one player an unfair advantage obviously. Unfortunately, exploits like this usually spread very quickly.

I could reproduce this, corrected the bug and issued a fix for this to Apple and it will be no longer possible in 1.1. But for now, there's a chance that you run into a cheater abusing that glitch when playing multiplayer. Please update to 1.1 immediately once it gets out to be on the safe side.

That would be cool, esp. after the bad press I got 2 days ago from an editor who didn't understand the concept of the game, lost to it and unfairly bashed it out of sheer frustration and ignorance. Even though the article is ridiculous and self-contradictory, this won't exactly help sales. :mad:

13. islesfan

islesfan Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2012
    Male
    Teacher
    Nevada
    Thanks. It works. I held off building ships until I had the resources and they didn't attack until I built ships. Cool.

14. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    I just beat Cpt Medison mission by brute force :D I took the planet of the left at the start by attacking with all ships apart from the 2 colony ships, from there I fully upgraded the planet and researched everything. Then sent a scout to the space station which brought the three huge ships and your back up to the middle of the map so I sent all my ships to the middle and set my planet to making bombers and fighters with a checkpoint in the middle where the yellow ship is. Took out the three huge enemy ships then set my colony ships on route to the space station while the rest of my force went to take out the right hand planet and the back up ship followed. Rescued the girl all enemy's dead mission complete :D

Attached Files:

15. MarkFromBitmenStudios

Apr 4, 2011
    Austria, Europe
    #95 MarkFromBitmenStudios, Mar 18, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
    lol, certainly an achievement. It's still easier to just sneak up with your colonization ship after you took the planet, free her and get her out asap while stalling with stuff from your planet.

If you really killed everything, then you certainly will have an easy time with the rest of the missions as cleaning up the whole level as opposed to just get her out is really not a walk in the park. I did that too once when I tested the mission but it's certainly not mandatory to win.

I see a competent multiplayer player owning the leaderboards there. :D

16. Derprozess

Derprozess Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2012
    Engineer
    can't complete the cpt. madison mission :(
    every time i finish with the jumpgate destroyed. i take the dead world, save the cpt., and then... goodbye!
    any tips, please? im really a noob at this kind of games
    btw, the game look awesome.

17. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Send all your ships from the start (apart from the colony ships) to the planet in the left and when you've cleared out the enemy send ONE of your colony ships to take over the planet, start upgrading the planet straight away then I sent one scout up to the space station which triggered the big ships in the middle to appear and your back up guy appears too, I then sent my ships into the middle to help him take out the 3 huge ships (if you start losing ships i made loads of bombers as there quick and cheap for taking out the big ships) then sent my army of ships upto the space station followed by the colony ship, and on the way back after rescuing the captain take it slow so your ships stick with her,

I had try retry this mission loads, its way harder than the missions before it and after it.

18. Sheinfell

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    Cpt. Medison mission - plan B: win by stealth

Plan B - win by stealth works as well for rescuing Medison.

Move all ships to capture the dead planet.
    Immediately after capture, move all ships north in a straight line, until you are about the same height as the Spacestation.
    Then move east to capture the Spacestation.
    While doing so, buildup the planet. Find the right balance between mines and crystals. you will want lots of both to build bombers, but need way more minerals, for the fighter factories.

After capturing the Station, move (doubletap) back west in a straight line, then down south toward the jumpgate.
    If you do it right, you win without any real fight.

On normal difficulty I lost the planet before I could get anything meaningful going. But did not need it either.
    Won on second try, by the way.

19. Twenty One

Twenty One Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
    Oil & Gas Engineer
    Oklahoma City, USA
    Hey guys, I wanted to suggest that anyone who posts here to put a message with your Game Center ID at the bottom of your post if you want people to add you for multiplayer.

I also wanted to suggest that we use the messaging function here on TA to communicate and setup times to play and/or coordinate games.

Anyway, I m loving this game and the dynamic, adaptive AI....it's quite challenging as we all know. Hats off to Mark, the Dev, for working so hard on the AI programming because it really allows you to try different strategies and keeps the game from getting monotonous/boring since every game plays out differently.

My Game Center ID is: (Twenty-One)

I am always looking to add people for any of the games in my signature. vvvvvvvv

20. Sambobsung

Sambobsung Well-Known Member

May 19, 2012
    Male
    Canada
    This Cpt. Medison mission is quite the toughie.