Universal Galactic Conflict RTS (by Bitmen)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by strivemind, Mar 13, 2013.

1. howitzer

howitzer Member

Nov 22, 2011
    This reminds me a lot of Homeworld, both n concept, and the naming of the ships (Coevettes, Flaks, etc). Can anyone confirm or deny this before the drop the $$?

2. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    As much as I liked the style of autumn dynasty I never really got into it, I tried playing it on a few different occasions maybe it was the Japanese theme I'm not sure,
    So yes I'd say better than autumn dynasty as I've been playing this a lot and loving it. It's easy to pick up and understand and easy to play, with huge scale battles, that's everything I want in an RTS game.

3. Mythbuster

Mythbuster Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    Exact the same here!

4. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Total OT: the style is more or less like ancient Chinese style, likely to be at around 11 to 12th Century AD, where scholar did not mixed with military. There is no such dynasty (in both China nor Japan, afaik) called Autumn though.

5. MarkFromBitmenStudios

MarkFromBitmenStudios Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2011
    IT Architecture, Development Project Manager
    Austria, Europe
    Gloss

Hi,

I'm the developer of Galactic Conflict. It seems like a lot of people are enjoying the game so far but some are turned down by the UI buttons. I'm a bit surprised by the amount of hate I got there, so I'm proposing the following change in the next update.

Old: [​IMG][​IMG]
    New: [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

So in other terms, more metal, color and glow. I hope this makes those happy who didn't like the original icons while not upsetting the others who were fine with the current style.

I'm also planning to further increase the font size on the iPhone (shortening text if it does not fit) and pick up a couple of other good suggestions I either read here or got emailed.

Overall, I hope that you enjoy the gameplay! My vision was to create an RTS in space with epic battles where you feel like a true fleet commander. Bigger ships floating in space, lots of smaller ships circling around, and then there's the battle with strikecraft entering dogfights or doing bomber runs on bigger targets or planets, frigates and capital ships unleash their different weapons and there's tons of action, effects and you are in the middle of it. Difficult to make this happen on a lowly mobile down to single core devices with high resolution (damn you iPhone 4) but not impossible.

I also wanted simple, fast gameplay, strategic depth, many different ships, economy, technology, expansion, scouting, timing, counters, multiplayer matches over the internet, all those things that make RTS games great (IMHO). These things were my mental vision that guided me before and during the making of this game.

I can confirm that Homeworld was a major source of inspiration. :D Loved that game! Even though it had an ugly UI - wait a moment, now I know who's to blame... :p

6. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    I'm also interested to hear players' thoughts. This looks awesome, but I might wait until I repair or replace my broken iPad since it looks like it might be pretty cramped and less enjoyable on iPhone.

7. grenadedodger

grenadedodger Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Manchester, UK
    Ha, with the amount of love you are getting with the game I really wouldn't worry about the button type. However it is always good to see a dev take such an obvious sense of pride in their work. I am literally downloading this as I type this out, look forward to playing it.

8. Drakeer Melkhor

Drakeer Melkhor Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2010
    Freelance
    Spain
    I can't find a gameplay video, Sanuku? :p

9. sealwong

sealwong Active Member

Nov 15, 2012
    Love the new icons :)

10. Bischi777

Bischi777 Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Only played the tutorial so far. From what i can tell its awsome :) i love epic scale spacebattle.

I think much of the "hate" came from the portrait pictures which seems a little unfitting. But honestly as long as the game is good i dont care aboot pictures or buttons :)but its always nice to see when developers show up in forums and care about the fans!

11. Sheinfell

Sheinfell Well-Known Member

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    Game feedback

Hi Mark,

suspicions confirmed, you made a very nice game.
    What I especially like is that you cannot just build "one ship that rules them all", but that you *have* to mix your fleet to counter the different types of enemy ships successfully. I cannot remember any Space Strategy game that does that successfully.

And from what I saw in the campaign so far, your AI is really good. I read your blogpost on how you designed the different subAIs, very interesting approach. And it works.

As someone who mainly plays singleplayer, one of my few quibbles is that the campaign missions are too short. I only played for a few hours, and I am almost through (Rebuilding New Earth currently).

Oh yes, that one: *Please* rename it to that (New Earth). The current name (Nu Earth) sounds like it was colonised solely by metalheads with a slight spelling disorder ;)

Buttons/Icons:
    I always love it when people give extremely qualified feedback (Sarcasm!(TM)), like "it just looks terrible." Nice, thanks for sharing your most valued opinion (also Sarcasm!(TM) ;) ) , but *what exactly* looks terrible?
    My 5 cents on your proposed button change: Don't do it.
    Reasons:
    The old ones are non-intrusive, and with the toned-down colorscheme not distracting. And they are very clear, once you know what the icons mean.
    While the new ones look distracting with the glow effects and borders. The border makes them appear smaller than they really are. Only on the 3rd button (ship icon) the glow effect looks like a real improvement. I think because the ship icon is darker than the other two, and the glow compliments that.
    For that button, I would make the ship icon and actual icon and not an image. More stylised and easier to process in a rush. The less details you have on icons, the better.

Same goes for the ship selection buttons in the bottomleft: Make the icons more stylised and actually iconic.

Font size:
    Even on an iPad2 the font feels too small for me to read comfortably. I imagine on a smaller screen it must be a real pain.
    Also, personally, I do not like the white on blue coloring scheme. It hurts my eyes. Dark Grey or Black might work better.

Ship selection:
    Some of the Terran ships are very hard to distinguish. Namely the Scout, I always have big trouble finding that one. It is easily confused with the Light Corvette.
    The Ion Frigate for example stands out great, with its distinct shape.

The "Select all ships in Galaxy" button sometimes seems to have a hiccup. I had several instances where not all ships were in the selection. However, I cannot readily reproduce it, as it seems to be somewhat random.

Requests:
    Having another button that opens a submenu where you can select by ship type (e.g. all Ion Frigates in my fleet) would be great.

Option to turn off the floating planet information window would be nice. I find it rather distracting. And the icons/numbers are so small that I find it impossible to catch the presented information at a quick glance (which I assume was the intent behind that info window).

"Endless build" option:
    I miss that one, e.g. setting a planet to constantly churn out Interceptors and Heavy Corvettes.
    Unfortunately it is rather tedious to keep your build queues busy all the time.

Any plans to add a singleplayer campaign for the Pyros at some point?
    Or additional missions for the Terrans?
    Perfectly willing to pay for it as add-on content.

12. drloony

drloony Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2012
    I was worried this game might pass by unnoticed and the dev would just leave it. But now Im glad to see this board is revving up and the dev is on point. I really need to get this game

13. strivemind

strivemind Well-Known Member

I also agree with one of the above posts, making the same buttons all glowy is counterintuitive to a good interface design.

If this was one of my projects I would suggest a simple and more elegant alternative. If you don't feel like revamping the whole UI, try this:
    - Put a white border around the grey buttons
    - drop the opacity of the grey to around 10%
    - drop the opacity of the white icon/number and border to around 80%
    Now not only does the interface no longer look slapped-on, but overall visibility of the play area has been greatly increased.

14. worldcitizen1919

worldcitizen1919 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    I've been sitting on the fence on this one so far but home world I loved and if this has been inspired by that then I'm almost off the fence. I haven't seen the GUI to complain about colors or font sizes but I wear glasses so if fonts are illegible then that would be a deal breaker for me. I used to love Homeworld so much and often wished it would appear on ios.

15. drloony

drloony Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2012
    I've finally got a chance to play this a bit, it didn't wow me like I expected it to. Maybe it's because the game is so smooth and seamless. I've never played an RTS quite like this, as this game is superior in many ways. For me it was very easy to play, not an easy game, but ease of use. I thought the UI was good, so was text (on ipad) but I can see how a different font may help for some. Nice to get quality like this on iOS

16. Wrath

Wrath Well-Known Member

May 26, 2011
    Seattle
    Is there a tips/help thread somewhere? I seriously can't get past the very first easy campaign! Apparently I need a step-by-step order of what to build: how many of each building/ship and in which order. I'm building as fast as I can tap the screen for resources & ships and they're getting destroyed as quickly as I can pump them out. Frustrating.

17. MarkFromBitmenStudios

MarkFromBitmenStudios Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2011
    IT Architecture, Development Project Manager
    Austria, Europe
    #57 MarkFromBitmenStudios, Mar 15, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
    Build up your infrastructure first, only then build your fleet. Make sure you have your planet full of mines, all supply depots and and fighter factories built before you invest into your fleet. That puts you into a much stronger position.

There's no point trying to build up ships without the economy or production capacity backing it up. Then, during the fight, don't forget to replace losses, a common mistake is watch the fight and go idle.

Believe it or not, I've toned down that mission already twice in beta. :) I'll make the Easy difficulty version a wee-bit easier in the next update.

18. worldcitizen1919

worldcitizen1919 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Bought this and LOVE IT,! Love the GUI too! What's fussing about this great GUI? Enjoying this heaps.

19. Dinodog

Dinodog Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Just finished the tutorial ,playing on iPhone 4 and really like the game been looking for a good rts just a couple of things . I think the buttons are fine but would be better if like someone already suggested make them opaque such will allow us iPhone players to see more also can u make it so you can open and close the mini map again more screen space and adjust the zoom just a little more to zoom out more
    That's my 5 bobs worth , great game
    Keep the tweaks coming

20. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    No matter what I try I can't finish the "Cpt. Medison" mission :confused: