G 2.0 is live! :: iPad Giveaway Contest Mar 3-16

Discussion in 'Promo Codes and Contests' started by Cryptopur, Feb 23, 2010.

1. adamans

adamans Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Dir. of Communications at Code-Monkeys & Soma Game
    Oregon
    pajo_ojap - Chris is going to pop in here to answer your Q today when he can get to his mac. He is at GDC with the rest of the team (not me :( ).

2. pajo_ojap

pajo_ojap Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2009
    oh my rant really isn't a big issue, I really wanted to state it more because it seems like it may be a bug or something. The thing I really want to know that I have mentioned a couple of times, is the accuracy or repeatability of your actions. I will have a good run and then try to duplicate it and it never quite runs the same. I am just wondering if it there is some factor programmed in to introduce some randomness to better represent a universe that is not static. Either that are the controls arn't fine enough.

No hurries, thanks for checking in anyway.

3. RaptorF35

RaptorF35 Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Computer Technician
    On a Motherboard
    Abt the randomness...I think it is very slightly random, but nothing gamebreaking(for me) also, my score of 16mil is still valid right? Since I accidentally() started a new campaign I'm worried :/

4. adamans

adamans Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Dir. of Communications at Code-Monkeys & Soma Game
    Oregon
    Here are a few of characters for the ARC saga (G,F,E games) that will begin to be worked into the next games. We are also working on a full comic book for both print and iPad for the full storyline.
    [​IMG]

5. pajo_ojap

Dec 8, 2009
    Well I'm totally cool with your score Raptor and see no reason not to count it. It sounds like there are others not posting there scores at all yet during this contest. Not exactly sure how that works, because I thought that was partially how to track the contest period. So how does one not post until they want to and get it included? Oh well mine is only to wonder never to know.

As for the randomness, for me it seems more than slight, where one run will miss an asteroid by a margin, the next run it will slam right into it. I have tried to be very accurate in reproducing the same conditions but still have the same issues.

Well, I'm still trailing the leaders and Its got me worried about the scores that arn't being posted. Better get back at it.

6. RaptorF35

Feb 10, 2010
    Computer Technician
    On a Motherboard
    He is? Does he go back in time? How does that work because "today" was really yesterday 

Anyway, Dreamer is really starting to worry me....and what's going on with the leaderboards? I see his score go up alot on the contest leaderboards and a little on the arc, vice versa..what's going on?

7. Cryptopur

Cryptopur Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    OR
    This is the voice of chris calling from the past...or is the future?...it's hard to tell... ;)

From here it looks like Monday.

GDC was awesome! So much cool stuff to see, games to play, technology to slaver over. My favorite booth was the folks with Zombrex giving out anti-zombie vaccine. The people in that booth played the whole thing totally straight-faced and NEVER broke character and let me tell you I tried...

As for the contest - looks like first place has changed hands several times in the last few days - way to go all of you! And so the leader right now is just shy of 17M - Ka Chow! That's still a long way from the rick-roll achievement which I doubt anybody will get until we launch F but it's frankly higher than we expected.

Just two days left. last scores need to be posted by sunset on the 17th...

8. Cryptopur

Apr 15, 2009
    OR
    Hi pajo-ojap, I was looking at your question about there being randomness in the game...

No, there are no random elements, but there are a lot of butterfly effect moments where tiny changes in state make a big difference. This would be very true in any level with moving icteroids but it also shows up on any one of the controls. Strictly speaking tap/drag gestures are the most accurate but of course there is no text input box to say whether you dropped the aiming ring at 15 degrees or 15.1 degrees. After that, the incremental controls each bump a value up or down by a fixed amount, say half a degree. So if on one attempt you drag the ring to 15.1 degrees and then tap the arrows twice you might be at 16.1 degrees.
    But say the next time you play you drop the ring at 15.2 degrees...two arrows will bring you to 16.2 and you'll never get it to the 16.1 you want until you drag again.
    And on some levels - a 1/10th matters...as no doubt you've seen.

That said, the idea was to get away from the kind of game where we all geek out over decimals to thirteen places. We wanted the game to be more casual and accessible to non-math people. Of course we didn't really consider folks seeking to squeeze every last point out of each level. :D

9. RaptorF35

Feb 10, 2010
    Computer Technician
    On a Motherboard
    #189 RaptorF35, Mar 15, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2010

Well it's not"just shy of 17m" anymore...and I got the lead back...as Chris would say. Ka chow!!

:) awesome competition..you guys are making me sweat :)

Edit: what's the Rick-roll achievment?

10. steelfires

steelfires Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2010
    Candy Mountain, Charlie!
    I give up. With these amazingly epic scores, ther's no way I can catch up.

11. pajo_ojap

Dec 8, 2009
    So just curiously, what is the rick-roll achievement?

If I calculated correctly by sunset on the 17th, per contest rules is 6:04 PST which would translate into 8:04pm CST. Correct? Wouldn't want to miss out on any of those last minute squeeze points.

And Raptor I plan on retaking the lead shortly. I finally figured out a method for level 34 (currently have about 1/2 the max score, 2 rockets ya know), but it still is dang hard. I want to know, if I'm doing it the hard way and there is an easier way or if this is the only way. I've killed more rockets on this level than all the other levels combined. Given how many I've wasted, I would suspect the ARC universe to be sorrily depleted of iron. Assuming the rocket is made of iron and not some ceramic alloy. If it is ceramic, then I just put all the ceramic makers out of business.

12. liquidmutiny

liquidmutiny Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Well don't give up, keep trying for that epic score. But, that's not the only way you can win an iPad. liquidmutiny.com is giving away an iPad just for uploading your iPhone artwork. You don't have to be an artist, just draw something and showcase it at liquidmutiny.com. You can enter more than once as long as you refer another person and they upload artwork. There's a touchArcade Thread about it here.

But, don't give up. I'm going for the high school, maybe I can win that iPad and give it away!

13. pajo_ojap

Dec 8, 2009
    I think I kind of figured that out about the drag vs the increment. With my fat fingers the drag is really hard for me to get as precise as I would want. I really think the controls should be redone a bit for those of us that are finger challenged.

An as far as thirteen decimal points and geekiness...who else would burn hundreds if not thousands of rockets just to figure out one level?! I agree that probably is a bit too precise but I wouldn't mind seeing a value associated with the controls so you could really fine tune things. Altho I suppose this way leaves it more to seat of the pants flying.

Well here's to squeezing some more points out.

14. Cryptopur

Apr 15, 2009
    OR
    steelfires - in all truth, this is a game of patience more than anything else. I still think you have a genuine chance but you'll want to get rolling.

That said - we'll probably wind up having additional contests in the future as well and not only based on highest score - so stay sharp.

15. Cryptopur

Apr 15, 2009
    OR
    I think this is an AWESOME idea! I've been saying that we should have a contest where folks submit the 'path art' from G like who cna make the best whirly-gig pattern. :p

16. chrisrushing

chrisrushing Well-Known Member

May 21, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    Chattanooga, TN
    34.... ughhhhhhhh my brain is liquified.

There are 4 icteroides up top and even notice that the fartherst right one is slightly bigger. On the bottom 4 more with the fartherst left being slightly bigger. I don't get where in the world to go. I can get it to loop around 2 of them for about 6-7 seconds and thats it. I'm so insanely frustrated.

it feels like everybody (in the top) has figured it out but me.

and now pajo is in the lead.

17. RaptorF35

Feb 10, 2010
    Computer Technician
    On a Motherboard
    it's alright just suprise us and get a high score on another lvl...that's how lvl 34 started isn't it?

Pajo won't be for too long...found a max distance/1 rocket secret for lvl 23 :)

18. pajo_ojap

Dec 8, 2009
    naw, ya don't scare me, I've know how to do level 23 for awhile, its just I have been struggling to match you guys when you up all the other levels. I'm finally in a position to not just play catch up, but to work on tweaking the other levels.

19. Cryptopur

Apr 15, 2009
    OR
    Can I just say that I'm really enjoying watching all of you compete and still keep jabbing one another but in a friendly way.

It's freaking inspiring I tell you!

20. RaptorF35

Feb 10, 2010
    Computer Technician
    On a Motherboard
    No you may not!
    Lol, it's fun on this end too... :)