Universal Fury Unleashed (by Awesome Games Studio)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Mar 24, 2022.

1. Chq

Chq Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2013
    iPad mini 6 screen aspect ratio support?

2. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

3. Chq

Chq Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2013
    A game with such awful unconfigurable touch controls shouldn‘t be game of the week.

4. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    I'll send @Boardumb a message telling him to redact the article.

5. agreen437

agreen437 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Play with a controller

6. agreen437

Jun 12, 2014
    Let me remind everyone this does support controllers

7. agreen437

Jun 12, 2014
    Please don’t just play with a controller

Chq likes this.
  8. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    I mean the vast majority of people don’t play mobile games with controllers. If a game is made for mobile, it should really be built as if you don’t have a controller. Having support is a great addition but it shouldn’t be a crutch. Even games with complex controls such as Dead Cells have amazing controls on mobile.

9. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    I generally agree with you. Having played this both ways, I wouldn’t say that you need to use a controller. But the game plays very differently without it — the pace is slower, and you need be quite deliberate about which weapon you use. I think it’s still fun, even though it’s clearly not what the developer intended.

Personally, I don’t find Dead Cells playable (or at least any fun) with touch controls, as good as they are.

Legion180 likes this.
  10. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    I wouldn't call them awful, but you're entitled to your own opinion. I do think they should be customizable, but I also think the pros outweigh all the cons with this game and was pretty explicit about that in the GotW story.

I agree with this, but I wouldn't say this game has unplayable controls at all. They're fine. I also wouldn't say a physical controller is required to play, but it is a better experience with one. I think it just sticks out more because by this point in mobile gaming every game really should offer customization options since everyone's preferences are so different when it comes to virtual buttons.

Sagar Asthana likes this.
  11. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Still think I’m going to wait to see if there’s any updates to improve it. Would like to have it on the go (own it on Xbox) but $9 is a bit high for a game that sounds like it could still use a bit of work. But I’ll keep it on my wish list!

12. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Update just hit with “UI improvements.” Not customizable controls, but the text looks bigger on iPhone.

Anotherkellydown likes this.
  13. Legion180

Legion180 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2015
    I wish there were demo versions of games. Don’t understand why this genius idea died.

ColeDaddy likes this.
  14. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    The absolute best model on the App Store is try-before-you-buy. Free with an IAP for a full unlock. 1) You actually get a taste for the game. 2) You technically own the game already (so the allure/mystique/urge/whatever is gone), and can splurge for the premium unlock whenever you see fit. 3) iOS updates break games no matter what, and we can no longer back up our purchases, so there's no difference in fully premium or a premium unlock and doesn’t matter in the long run. I wish Apple would force that model and just eliminate premium releases altogether.

Regarding Fury Unleashed, I love the gameplay here and I’m a supporter of “If you’re having problems with the controls, take 2 minutes to learn them” (fire away, folks!) but EVERYTHING, even post-update, is too damn small. I get a chuckle out of the loading bar every single time. :(

macplash and Legion180 like this.
  15. Awesome Games Studio

Sep 18, 2012
    Hey all!

We've recently pushed an update 1.03, fixing some flaws mentioned above, but we're not stopping here.

Seeing your feedback, we'll be adding an option to customize the touch control layout in one of the future updates. As previously mentioned, we're reading all the feedback, so please feel free to share it, and we'll see what we can do to improve the game for everyone!

PS, Thank you for choosing Fury Unleashed as the TouchArcade Game of the Week! <3

Sagar Asthana and Legion180 like this.
  16. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Thats great to hear about customisable controls, that's brilliant thanks

17. Legion180

Legion180 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2015
    Your point is better than mine, I agree. I somehow forgot to mention the model of “pay to unlock the full game”. It’s one of the best solutions.
    My struggle with this game was the controls. But still I bought it yesterday just to support the dev and because I love such games.
    By the way, could you explain what you mean by “iOS updates break games”? I don’t quite understand that.

18. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    It's not as common as back in the day, but remember whenever there'd be a major iOS update and a chunk of your games would get borked until developers updated them? Folks have held onto the notion that games with a price-tag and no inclusion of IAPs would essentially be future-proof, and I get that, but ever since Apple took away our ability to download and backup games on our PCs, there's been no difference between premium games and games with premium unlocks. They're on equal footing as far as potentially being damaged by iOS updates...in the odd chance that happens, of course.

Legion180 likes this.
  19. #Bonk3rZ

#Bonk3rZ Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2014
    top of the world
    That's awesome news, thank you!

Meanwhile I've got a problem / question. After finishing the first main boss in the third chapter I went into the sketchbook and now I'm trapped there. Given the fact that there's that guy offering me to play earlier chapters this seems intentional, but since I'm still missing 2 main bosses from chapter 3 it still feels like something went wrong ...

I tried several things, but the only comic I can launch is the sketchbook. (The other three go out of sight to the top of the screen.) I'm not ready jet for the final thing and would love to keep playing the other chapters.

I even considered a reset, but surely that will erase my complete progress including character level and upgrades right? Also now I wonder what happens after finishing the sketchbook. Am I able to play all books again or do I have to start a completely new game?

I need answers ... :mad:

20. Awesome Games Studio

Sep 18, 2012
    This is a deliberate design choice on our part. Story-wise, you're locked in there, although, as you've noticed, you can replay any of the previous chapters through the help of "that NPC". You can also level-up by playing the sketchbook, as well as freely switch between the two difficulty modes if you want. Don't give up, as you'll be free to complete any content at your leisure when you'll defeat your captor!

#Bonk3rZ likes this.