"Furious Tactical" - forthcoming strategy game for iPhone/iPod touch (Developer)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by BrokenKings, Oct 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jasonc506

jasonc506 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2010
    I don't think the name is too bad, it lets people know it's a strategy game. Also Furious is also kind of cool because all the characters have fur.

2. BrokenKings

BrokenKings Well-Known Member

May 13, 2009
    That's what we think too, but there have been some in this thread who are in favor of a new name, and I'm not opposed if something pops up that's as effective and perhaps a bit less formulaic (how many games called x tactics are there? Lots. ;) )

3. BrokenKings

May 13, 2009
    Hey guys,

Stephen here! Sorry for the quietness in the past couple of whiles. I had to take a contract for a few weeks, but I'm back in the game now!

Today Sean and I have been discussing the initial interface. We have the typical audio on/off screen that a lot of games have. I had the idea that it would be good if we added the ability to load your last saved game there, so that you are one click closer to your saved game instead of having to go to the title screen.

We came up with two possible looks. The first one uses symbols only (which we are trying to do as much as possible in this game), the second uses text.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After talking about this for a while, we realised that we might be complicating the process instead of simplifying it. Most audio on/off screens are one touch - on, or off. In ours, it's two touches; first, you toggle your audio, then you touch "menu". (Of course, if you leave it at the last setting, it's still one touch).

We thought of perhaps having two screens - a simple, one-touch audio screen like most games, followed by a "continue this game?" screen if you have a svaed game. This will show you a screenshot, plus a checkmark/x to continue/go to menu.

Or, we could just add another button to the title screen.

So we are asking - which option do you guys find easiest to understand and fastest?

Is it:

a) Add loading to the audio toggle screen? (If so, which image above do you like better - with or without text?)

b) Have a load-game screen before the menu?

c) Have a load-game screen on the menu?

4. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    Ah, sorry man, totally forgot about sending feedback on the beta. Anyway, the screens look better now, and I'll definitely get back to testing (when I'll have a working device again : D).

5. BrokenKings

May 13, 2009
    You might have a new beta soon :) What do you think of the comments in my last post?

6. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    I'd go with option 'A' and the picture with text.

7. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Is it to late to beta test since you said there will be a new version?

8. randomdude

randomdude Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    I have been following this game for awhile. Seems pretty cool. Really looking forward toward this. But I have a suggestion. Keep the "Furious Tactical" name. The name is very interesting and I believe that is how this game caught my attention. Also do you guys have an iPad version in the works?

9. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #89 undeadcow, Dec 17, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
    I like icons with text and option A

Looks amazing, any idea on a release timeframe?

Also, I agree the name Furious Tactical has a nice ring to it.

Also, I can beta test if you need help ;)

10. BrokenKings

May 13, 2009
    Some great feedback!

First of all, I'm glad to hear that the Furious Tactics name is well liked. :D

Next, beta testers - I'll go through the thread and everyone who has offered so far will be most likely be contacted. There is a limit to how many we can have - Apple limits the # of devices you can build to as a developer - we are looking for up to 15 this next run. We'll be sure to get in touch with you all before the next build goes up to make sure there is still interest and get your credentials :)

If you want in, feel free to post now, it will be first come/first serve so might fill up quickly.

11. BrokenKings

May 13, 2009
    Yes - we have talked about iPad. If it does well on the iPhone we will most likely be porting it to the iPad as well. The engine we are using is Cocos2D, which supports this, and the art is all done in high resolution to support an easy conversion. It's simply a matter of time, and making things fit on a different sized screen, and deciding how similar we want it to be. So there's no real details at this point, just a lot of preparedness. :D

12. BrokenKings

May 13, 2009
    One last note before I return to code-land: if you have thoughts on what we brought up in this post, we'd still love to hear them. :D

13. 7h30n

7h30n Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2010
    The game looks charming and I loooove turn based strategy and tactical games.
    I'd like to participate in the beta, but I'll be honest - I haven't beta-tested anything on iPhone. Other than that, I have a lot of experience in this genre, I'm situated in GMT+1 timezone and I can play couple of hours a day (as I travel to and from the college).

14. BrokenKings

May 13, 2009
    We've made quite a lot of progress on this game since we started. Here is a screenshot taken today:
    [​IMG]

Compare that to this screenshot taken a few months ago:
    [​IMG]

Anyways, here's a quick video of a bug I found today, just for fun:

PS, any of you a fan of Secret Agent Bob? That's the youtube channel that released Charlie the Unicorn - although I'm more of a fan of the Llamas with Hats series. The new Llamas with Hats came out a couple days ago and it's hilarious :D

15. randomdude

randomdude Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    I volunteer to be a beta tester and I prefer the first artwork. It just seems much more nicer to the eyes for me. I was wondering are there any 'air' unit per se in this game or am I dreaming of flying animals again?

16. BravadoWaffle

BravadoWaffle Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Designer
    I'm loving the redwall vibe this game has! Such happy memories from my childhood. I'd love to see it more like Redwall and have Speedy Rabbits, Gophers, Badgers, and all that woodland goodness.

Either way, this is looking pretty sweet!

17. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Has any thought been given to a price point yet? I know it's still early but I am curious.

18. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Post #100!

19. lordOMFG

lordOMFG New Member

Jun 15, 2010
    some ideas for names are:
    critter warfare tactics
    furious critter warfare or
    woodland animal tactics

20. Multiboy2k

Multiboy2k Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2010
    Watcher
    Could change at a moment's notice
    Cats Dogs AND Mice....with Humans as unlockables!

I 2nd Woodland Animal Tactics.

I think the use of all three of these animals would be AWESOME. And, when you include hidden unlockables like other types, snakes, mongoose, bears, rabbits, and finally humans vs animals the possibilities are endless!

What do you guys think?