iPad FTL: Faster Than Light - (by Subset Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Apr 2, 2014.

1. Bischi777

Bischi777 Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Errrr mah gerrd! Since the day I bought an Ipad in 2012 I was waiting for this game to be released!

This Game is so good it even helps me to cope with the breakup from my girlfriend. When this does not convince you to buy this game i don't know what does :)

2. SwordBytes

SwordBytes Active Member

May 17, 2013
    I think I may have missed something here. It's a good game.

Definately not 5/5 or 10/10 for me though. It's completely subjective, and I just don't think it's amazing. Maybe because I presumed there was going to be a little more to it?

For some reason I thought you could visit and mine planets, or create relations with alien races.

But for what it is, it's good.

I'll play a little more and see if my opinion changes.

3. spooky23

spooky23 Well-Known Member

Jun 30, 2011
    Never played this. But its very appealing. Is it as random (death wise) and harsh as Out There? Yes, I know both games are different in substance (similar in design) but wanted to understand if this is the type of game where 4 hours in, you die, then start again. Or rather, it takes time and experience to build up to the four hours - with plenty of early deaths and re-starts when first beginning.

4. famousringo

famousringo Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2011
    Okay, new expanded content definitely makes the game harder. So many new ways for an enemy ship to rake you over the coals. Totally unfair that my mind control is useless on a drone, but it can turn my crew to saboteurs at a whim. :p

Might need to step it down to easy and earn a better ship.

5. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Aaaaarggg I want this, but no iPad, and a PS4 version is unlikely... same as a Universal update... ok... I give up... Steam... here I come... (Bronxsta dont kill me :p)

6. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    #146 VirtualBoyFreak, Apr 3, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
    I have played both games a lot (FTL on PC until today) and I have never finished FTL. The last enemy is too difficult for me, but you get to unlock new ships which you can use the next time you play (contrary to Out There, where you always begin with the same ship). You get experience and learn from each play through, but you will die a lot. I think FTL is a little bit less "harsh" with the player (I have never been left stranded in a star in FTL, but it happens every so often in Out There), but both games are very difficult. Hope this helps.

7. Foghorn Irrascible

Foghorn Irrascible Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2013
    When you die you start again. There are a few persistent elements, such as unlocking new ships to take out, but that is it.

You really won't mind ;)

8. Foghorn Irrascible

Foghorn Irrascible Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Suffocate them! I send in people to finish them off if they're suited to fighting.

9. spooky23

spooky23 Well-Known Member

Jun 30, 2011
    One last question, does this game 'end' - set story arc with finale?

10. khann

khann Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2013
    My question is that of 2 people are in weapons, does that have any bonus? I see one guy working and another standing there. I have everything else manned so is he just basically security for boardings?

11. Zunda

Zunda Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2014
    Is there iCloud sync?

12. ednan

ednan Well-Known Member

Great. Now go back to your cave like I said before. Kthxbye

13. ednan

ednan Well-Known Member

Mining planets and relationship with aliens, maybe you confused with Mass Effect...

14. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Possible bug? I've done the quest to unlock the Zoltan Cruiser (aacording to ftl.wikia.com) but the ship hasn't been unlocked. Do I have to finish my game/get killed for it to unlock? In the ship menu it's still locked.

15. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

#155 Bronxsta, Apr 3, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
    $10 isn't a steep price. It's the proper price. The PC and IOS version are priced the same. Why should the iPad version be cheaper?

The jerks who are being rude to you, are jerks. Ignore them. My view is that the $10 is right, not just because it's a great game (which it is), but because that's how it's priced elsewhere.

And the devs were totally right. $10 for an indie game with this much content and quality is cheap. Only on IOS is it very expensive. The perception of price on IOS is all messed up.

16. Xexist

Xexist Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Canada
    How dare you sir! No the ship I'm looking for is the Mantis ship, the one that comes equipped with a transporter from the start (and other version of the ship comes with 4 man transporter)

17. CiroContinisio

CiroContinisio Well-Known Member

Loved FTL so much on desktop, I'm going to play it all the way from the start on iPad. And I might be wrong but I think I'm going to enjoy it even more...
    Congratulations to Subset Games for this great update!

18. farley2k

farley2k Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2010
    I was wrong. I am sorry. It was unfair and rude.

19. Glorkbot

Glorkbot Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2013
    Cartoonist
    I had been meaning to try Star Command and Out There. Should I play them first so FTL doesn't ruin the experience?

20. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

Out There is more about resource management and exploration; I think it feels different enough from FTL to stand on its own

But Star Command is like a poor man's (attempt at) FTL. If you must, play Star Command first, to fully appreciate FTL when you play it