iPad FTL: Faster Than Light - (by Subset Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Apr 2, 2014.

1. Aventador

Aventador Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia
    Haha just remember Daylight Save change. Damn it, one more hour of TV before game :rolleyes:

2. ednan

ednan Well-Known Member

Because KOTOR and Bastion are totally like FTL. Right.

3. wigzisonfire

wigzisonfire Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2012
    Art Director
    London
    His point was valid

4. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Have you played FTL on the PC? There are just too many things going on screen at the same time and inputs used to play: many keys on the keyboard and the mouse. That on an iPad can be reproduced. Unfortunately, the iPhone screen is just too small for all the screen interaction there is on this game. It's not a problem of font size, but of things you need to access on screen, and all at the same time. For example, each of the ship doors can be opened/closed by touching them, and you need to have both your ship and the enemy ship on screen at the same time because of how the action goes in the game. Not to mention the final boss ship. That big, ENORMOUSLY BIG ship would fit terribly on the iPhone screen.

I mainly use my iPhone to play, and I'd rather continue playing on my phone, but sometimes I have to accept that a certain game is better played on the iPad (being XCom the only other game I enjoyed better on the iPad).

5. BlueTrin

BlueTrin Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    Read the dev blog, they tried and did not like the result. It can surely be done by re engineering the whole game but FTL is a two men project. Do they have enough time to support an almost different game on iPhone that may not sell much more ?

If you are not happy, just email them and show your support and ideas for an iOS version, ranting here will not help.

6. BlueTrin

Jun 21, 2012
    It is out in the UK

7. PeteOzzy

PeteOzzy Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Norwich, England
    I can see that Surgeon Simulator could become Universal. I only expected that to be iPad only when I believed the controls would be one finger per character's finger. Given that it's actually just two fingers at once most of the time, there's very little reason why it couldn't be adapted other than the dev just not being interested in doing so.

With FTL it's totally different - it's nowhere near as easy to play on the mini as it is the standard iPad. It's by no means uncomfortable but there's a discernible difference between the two and that's with only a slightly smaller screen. You really wouldn't be able to accurate make selections on an iPhone, you'd end up blasting your crew out if an airlock by mistake. Besides, if the dev says they're never going to make it then it's a moot point unfortunately.

I do get that it's a pain in the butt though, I'd much prefer everyone could enjoy it.

8. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    It's out in Spain too. Downloading now :D

9. Icterus

Icterus Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Played my first round! The controls are awesome :)

10. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

Hope this reply doesn't sound rude, because that's not the intent, but everyone can play it. The same game is on PC. Obviously it's not as portable as an iPad, but it's the same content for the same price (or even cheaper during a Steam sale). And it doesn't require insane specs, anyone with an modern laptop or desktop should be able to run FTL just fine

11. BlueTrin

Jun 21, 2012
    Got blown up in the third sector :)

12. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    ^What he said. I don't see it ever working on a small screen. It isn't as simple as zooming out. If you've played it before you'd understand this. I bought it for $5 on sale for my garbage laptop and it runs perfectly. I'd suggest the same instead of complaining it isn't universal.

13. ScotDamn

Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    Get used to it. ;)

14. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Scot, do you have it yet? Or are you a 'murican too?

15. ScotDamn

Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    Lol I too am 'murican - I have it on PC though. Damn good stuff.

16. BlueTrin

Jun 21, 2012
    Lol :) I have unlocked everything on PC. For some reason the game feels harder on iPad, I am always under equipped by the time they have drones and 2 shields.

17. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Better yet, port this to Google Glass and change the interface to voice commands, then it would play really like being a starship captain on Star Trek.

iPadwatchedThisDS9EpisodeWhereSiskoWoreGoogleGlassAsHeCommanderedADominionShip...

18. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
  19. ednan

ednan Well-Known Member

Tears of joy. Goodbye crappy space themed wannabe roguelikes. Finally the real deal is here. :D:D:D:D:D

On a side note, I'm definitely needing to warm up since it has been a long time without playing this game, but I'm finding a bit harder than when I played the last time, anyone else? Not that it's a bad thing at all...