iPad FTL: Faster Than Light - (by Subset Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Apr 2, 2014.

1. Savant

Savant Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Oh my, oh my... On my 3rd try - using the 1st Engi ship Torus I'm now about to beat the Rebel Flagship (now on its 3rd stage) - I just turned it off from the excitement! Hope I'm able to finish this through!

The 2 Ion guns, 2 Combat drones + 1 Defense Drone Mk2, Shield Lvl3, Cloak Lvl2 might be too much to handle for the flagship. Wish me luck!

2. tjtoed

tjtoed Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2008
    Good Luck... totally different build than I used with Engi ship to beat it, but looks good.

3. RinoaHeartily

RinoaHeartily Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    After the 2nd battle with flagship.. Going into the last pray for me!!!!!!!

Attached Files:

4. Ebolav

Ebolav Member

Sep 12, 2013
    0-36 now :(

Wow I suck. Of my 36 losses (all on easy), I make it to the rebel cruiser about 75% of the time. Of those ~25 fights, I have only made it to the third stage 3 times. By the third stage my ship is so damaged I don't stand a chance. I'm trying to win with Engi to get the 3rd ship.

1. I see lots of strategy of different weapon layouts, and that's all well and good, but if you don't see the key weapons for each layout you're screwed it seems, so there's a lot of luck involved. For example, I have gone entire games without seeing any other ion weapons, etc.
    2. Related to this, is the key for sector 8 having a hull drone between fights? I know there's repair stations but typically I can only get to 1 during the fight, one is often next to the flagship, the other gets swallowed up while I'm busy fighting.
    3. Also, having multiple strategies for different rebel ship layouts seems like it would be prohibitively expensive.

Clearly I love this game since I've played it 36 times, but it's getting frustrating

5. RinoaHeartily

Dec 12, 2010
    Woo hoooo!!!!! I beat it!!! Everyone has their own strategy.. I have played sooooo many times every time with different strategy.. Finally figured this is the best setup.. Need 2 ions to break the shield and 1 beam to whack the weapon.. And I used 2 drones... Just to be on the safe side I think it possible with only 1. As u can see power is always an issue.. I kept cloak at bare min.. Only to be used when missiles launch. Also ALWAYS hit the missile weapon first they are real badass

Attached Files:

6. khann

khann Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2013
    I've been having problems with the rock ship. You need to find a different weapon fast since they only give you missle weapons

7. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    #487 VirtualBoyFreak, Apr 14, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
    I've played it a lot of times, I don't know how many, and I've only beaten it once :p Nonetheless, I'm only missing the Rock, Slug and Crystal cruisers, yay! :D The last ship I unlocked was the Federation prototype in the Rebel Stronghold. I thought I wasn't going to get the random mission, but it was in the last beacon prior to the exit (no distress signal, btw, just pure luck).

Congrats on that one. I'm trying to beat it with the Mantis Cruiser B layout, but I'm having a hard time to get to the flagship :p Hopefully I'll get to it or unlock the slug and rock cruisers :D

8. Ebolav

Ebolav Member

Sep 12, 2013
    I thought you had to beat the game to unlock each ship? Seems like it says that on the ship selection page, are there alternate ways of doing it for each?

9. Emos

Emos Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Yep there are specific random events or quests that can unlock each ship (except for the Engi which is the sector 5 unlock). If you don't mind some spoilers you can check out the FTL wiki for an explanation of each event, couple of them are fairly complex.

10. Xexist

Xexist Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Canada
    I always always try to have a teleporter. easiest way to take out that missile weapon, it usually only gets one shot off.

11. Ebolav

Ebolav Member

Sep 12, 2013
    Will check them out, thanks!!!

12. Piph

Piph Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2012
    I DID IT! I finally beat The Flagship!

For those who will appreciate this, the run I finally grasped victory for the first time was with a Kestrel Ship, layout A, named, "The Giant Bomb".

I'm not sure what the average is, but I'm proud to say I accomplished this for the first one in only four runs with no prior experience. Granted, I did take a peak at the Internet for the casual advice, such as an explanation for the difference between lasers and beams, what the advantages/disadvantages of going into nebula clouds were, and some other basic beginner advice on the wiki.

Having beaten it (on easy, mind you), I feel like I should share my thoughts a little. I found attack droids invaluable to wearing down enemy shields, and waiting around when you find an enemy who can't break through your shields so you can level your guys rather than just destroying it right away seems like a game changing strategy. The first time I tired it, I won. On one hand, stuff like that feels awesome because the game is so hard, you feel inclined to take any leg up that you can. On the other hand, the critic in me also feels like it's a bit strange that a player has to find exploits like this. Even if it's not mandatory, it sure feels like it is, and I'm not exactly sure what that says. I think I'm going to leave that with the same mindset I have with a game like Dark Souls, which is #### you game, I'll do what it takes to win and revel in it.

I do wish you could upgrade your power and the number of drone units you could have. I understand the reasons why, but when I made it to the end this time, my ship's systems had more capabilities than it had power to supply to, and I had maxed out the power upgrades. A minor complaint, if you can even call it that.

If anyone doesn't mind, I would be open to some advice on unlocking the B layout of the kestrel ship. I feel like I had found all the aliens and brought them aboard, but still didn't get the achievement. Would it be easier if I unlocked the advanced content (has more aliens, doesn't it?)? Also, any advice in having all those systems? It seems like investing both in droids and invisibility would be stretching my ship thin...

Finally, how much longer should I hold off on the new content? Now that I've beaten the game once on easy, should I unlock for my next run? How much does it change the game? Should I give a run with new a content a try on easy, and step on up to normal?

Thanks for any advice and comments. Game on!

13. tarasis

tarasis Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
    Finally caved and bought this for the iPad. I have the Mac version but was getting irated listening to the fans of my MBP whirring away loudly. I kinda wish I could share the achievements / ships I unlock with the Mac version though :)

14. Laenor

Laenor Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2013
    Paris, France
    That game is killing me.
    Been deprived of sleep for the past week.

But oh god is it great :D

15. wigzisonfire

wigzisonfire Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2012
    Art Director
    London
    This game has actually made me start playing 'Out There' a lot more!

I'm so addicted to 'FTL' that I have to play 'Out There' when I don't have my iPad, just to get a space hit lol!

16. spooky23

spooky23 Well-Known Member

Jun 30, 2011
    Still haven't downloaded this because I have 1 ep of Walking Dead, 3 eps of Wolf Among Us. Out There. And trying to read through Game of Thrones books.

Think FTL will be the end of me.

17. RinoaHeartily

Dec 12, 2010
    Another victory using the original kestrel type A. I think I must start unlocking ships..... By looking at the wiki lol

Once u know the tricks it's not that hard anymore....

Attached Files:

18. Xexist

Xexist Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Canada
    It says you need more practice :p I had never even heard of anyone doing that before.. Definitely not mandatory. On the other hand there is nothing wrong with noticing and 'taking advantage' of the games quirks. When the RNG goes against you it can be a pretty unforgiving game.

19. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    I just finished it again, this time with the Mantis Cruiser B layout, which unlocked the Slug Cruiser :D One thing I'm finding crucial towards winning is
    having 2 x defend drone II. They are VERY helpful towards avoiding the flagship attacks.

20. Xexist

Xexist Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Canada
    Ive never done it that way, but I can see how that could make it easy mode :)