iPad FTL: Faster Than Light - (by Subset Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Apr 2, 2014.

1. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Can the player ever get redundant systems like TWO Artillery Beams?

2. Xexist

Xexist Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Canada
    I dont believe so? I know you can have redundant weapons, and ship augments, but not new systems.

3. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Not me... Not yet, but at least I unlocked B layout of the Mantis ship :D On my next game I'll focus on crew and droids with Mantis B layout, to see if I can beat the boss at least once... Now what I need to do is get some sleep. See ya tomorrow! ;)

4. Menel

Menel Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2012
    Engineer
    TN
    #424 Menel, Apr 9, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
    No.

Best you can do is over build systems. On a couple of runs where. I had excess funds near the end, I added but didnt use additional levels to O2 and Medbay, so that if they took moderate orange damage, or ion stun... I could still use them as normal. :)

5. Menel

Menel Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2012
    Engineer
    TN
    Incredible run. Federation Cruiser Type C.

I was wrong, well worth 9.99

This was tough but turned incredibly rewarding. Started with no weapons, but with a teleporter. Spent first 2 or 3 sectors winning battles by wiping crew. Bonus when this happens... You get more resources and often take weapon modules which are good for selling!

Attached Files:

6. Xexist

Xexist Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Canada
    So awesome to hear you say that :D glad you are enjoying.

7. RinoaHeartily

RinoaHeartily Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    What's the diff when one put men at the detector and door? It become fully functional to partially functional? I don't get it... Can someone shed some lights

8. Menel

Menel Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2012
    Engineer
    TN
    Gives that system +1 level.

9. Xexist

Xexist Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Canada
    Systems and Subsystems play a key strategic element in FTL: Faster Than Light. Each ship contains Engines, Piloting, Oxygen, and Weapons as the most basic systems, as well as almost all having Doors, Shields, a Medbay and Sensors pre-installed, with a number of other, rarer systems available for installation, such as Cloaking, Drone Control and Teleporting. Each system occupies one room on the ship, with more important ones requiring 2x2 rooms instead of 1x2, and every system requires one reactor bar for each available stage of power.

Sensors:
    Upgrading reveals information about enemy ships, such as enemy crew and their power distribution

Lvl1 See all rooms in your ship.
    Lvl2 See all rooms in enemy's ship.
    Lvl3 See enemy weapon charge.
    Lvl4 See enemy power usage. Only available when level 3 sensors are manned

MORE INFORMATION HERE

Doors:
    Lvl 1 Allows remote opening and closing of doors
    Lvl 2 Blast Doors, slows down fires and boarders
    Lvl 3 Improved Blast Doors, slows down fires and boarders even more.
    Lvl 4 Super Blast Doors, slows down fires and boarders even more. Only available when Improved Blast Doors are manned.

MORE INFORMATION HERE

10. BlueTrin

BlueTrin Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    Burst II is probably the best normal weapon you can buy and dual laser is prolly one of the best.

Depends of what you find, bombs and Pegasus are quite powerful, glaive can be good.

11. RinoaHeartily

RinoaHeartily Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    Ahhh I see... My question why does the info says fully functional when not manned.. Door at level 2. When I manned it it says partially function? Is that a bug?

12. Xexist

Xexist Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Canada
    Must be.. manning a station should only make the station better :)

13. Menel

Menel Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2012
    Engineer
    TN
    #433 Menel, Apr 10, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
    20 ships in a row, crew battles. Fun acheivement!
    Didn't win 3rd round with boss :( no firepower. Found few weapons during store trips.

Attached Files:

14. tjtoed

tjtoed Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2008
    Man reading all these success stories pisses me off more. #
    I first started FTL on the ipad and while the game is incredible I have never gotten more pissed off at a game before. Every time I think I have a great run going stuff goes nuts and I die. I have gotten to the end twice but smoked in the first encounter both times.

I have read a few tips sites but it just never seems to go my way.

Any advice for a relative noob? Is there a ship worth trying to unlock? I have the engi, rock, and zoltan ships but don't really find either one of those vastly superior. Rock ship I run out of missiles and never seem to find good lasers to replace with.

15. Wiarumas

Wiarumas Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2014
    If it's any consolation, I've beaten the game several times but haven't unlocked any ships other than Engi. I keep messing up or missing the ship quests and then continue to beat the game. The starting ship and its alternate layout are definitely capable. Personally I'm having trouble with the Engi, but here are some tips for the starting ship. Pretty much gives a winning formula so don't read if you don't want it spoiled:

-the main factor to success in this game is scrap. If I get over a certain threshold, chances at winning are good. If you don't get enough scrap, the final sector is basically impossible.
    -with that said, upgrade defense first. Less damage taken overall, more scrap. My first upgrades are typically shield to get the second bubble, and 2 points in engines. That will put you at a modest evade rate and if you do get hit, your shields will absorb most of it.
    -my exception to this is scrap recovery arm which gives extra scrap. I get this if I ever see it, especially in early game. If I get it in the first sector, it's almost a guaranteed win if played right.
    -prioritize attacking weapons first. Then drones. Then shields. No weapons means no damage to you and no concern over time unless they try to jump. Shields are only important if you have a weapon that needs to be shield less like a beam weapon.
    -conserve missles early game when enemies are weak. I tend to only use missles if needed like stopping them from escaping. Burst lasers to the weapons usually go through shields and put weapons offline.. Then it's just a matter of a couple more shots to destroy them with no missles used.
    -avoid stores in the beginning. Like I said before, you want to upgrade shield and engines first. Don't go out of your way... Just prioritize battles and events to maximize scrap.
    -speaking of maximizing jumps, take your time. You don't want to leave a sector early. Visit as many beacons you can before the rebel fleet gets you. And even if it does, it's not that bad and can be survived with only minor set back.
    -stealth is one of the most useful systems. If you haven't read the details, it provides a huge evasion rate when stealthed. Combined with engines, you'll have a 100% dodge rate for several seconds on a relatively short cool down.
    -I tend to favor no mercy. Mercy gives better fuel, missiles, drones, but killing ships give more scrap plus scrap recovery bonus.
    -avoid risks like sending your crew on foot in an abandoned station late in the game. It's basically 50/50 chance something bad will happen vs the minimal gains that you might not need late in the game.
    -if you do all of the above and play well, you'll know you're doing well by having a lot of scrap accumulate roughly half way through the game and basically will be invincible to the enemy. At this time I would start paying more attention to offense and putting together some sort of attack strategy that will also be able to handle enemies with a lot of shields (bombs? Missles? Burst lasers? Etc). Personally I like to avoid drones and missiles since they use consumables and go for pew pew to drop enemy shields (I mentioned a couple pages back, 3 burst lasers II for 6 energy fires 9 shots every 10 seconds or so which is an insane amount of firepower for cheap).

Some miscellaneous tips:
    -pause a lot. Boarding party, pause. Enemy fires, pause. Shields down, pause. Fire, pause. You can freeze time, think about it, assign commands, and resume. No point in handling it all on the fly.
    -don't suffocate boarders. Instead, micromanage the battles, don't let anyone die, and level up your crews fighting skill. Better fighters will make boarding parties increasingly easier.
    -speaking of boarding parties, fight in the med bay as often as possible. You'll heal faster than they can damage.
    -rotate crew. When someone masters something, I move them. That way if someone dies late in the game, someone can replace them.
    -focus on the ships strengths. For example, the starting ship doesn't come with drones. Not only do you have to buy the system, but the system and power upgrades, drone schematics, recovery arm, drone refills. In other words, a very expensive upgrade. I tend to leave drones to the Engi and focus on existing systems like weapons.
    -at least 1 point in doors helps with boarding parties since they won't have free access to the entire ship.
    -multiple points in med bay and o2 in late game is to add more health to the systems, not really to improve the efficiency. An upgrades o2 system can take more damage and stay operational. Something to think about in the last sector if you have extra money.

16. Xexist

Xexist Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Canada
    Lol esentially just tried this strategy.. Beat the game with kestrel ship I believe. Bravo :p

17. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Something very useful to get scrap: go through as many nebula levels as possible. The enemy advances at half its normal speed, so you can visit twice as much systems ;)

Is there any device that fixes the hull? In my last game I got killed by the boss the third time around because I only had 1 hull point left and the only shop around got destroyed before I could get to it... My Kestrel layout B got destroyed very, very fast :p

18. Aventador

Aventador Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia

There is both hull repairing drone and repairing arm modification.

19. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Thanks! Repairing arm, that's what I need! :D

20. Menel

Menel Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2012
    Engineer
    TN
    There is a hull repair drone, 1 drone part for 3-5 hull fixed. Amazing, one of my wins. Requires playing on advanced mode.