iPad FTL: Faster Than Light - (by Subset Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Apr 2, 2014.

1. Menel

Menel Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2012
    Engineer
    TN
    I did the Zoltan mission, peace mission that awarded me a super Envoy crewmember, and said something about a ship unlock... But its not in my hangar :'(

Seems buggy.

My load out for finally defeating Flagship, with Engi ship. That was tough.

Attached Files:

2. Fangbone

Fangbone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    Bought this the second it became available on the App Store but haven't been able to play it until today. Really cool game, especially if you're into sci-fi. Can totally see myself putting countless hours into this. I don't get that one dude questioning the price of this game. It's easily worth the price of admission. Thanks to the developers for such an awesome experience.

3. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    I keep loosing on easy ... But it is Probably me.

4. mkaen

mkaen Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2011
    If you're new to FTL, I recommend you start out on easy and without the advanced content. There is absolutely no shame in this! Part of learning the game is experimentation and getting through various scenarios so you have an idea what you're up against. That is best done on the easy setting for a new player.

5. tarasis

tarasis Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
    I was wondering about this, I can't imagine having the time to sit through each sector in one run (not that I've managed it out of Sector 1 on normal yet. My 3 attempts so far have ended in misery, the last one in the last but one waypoint thanks to Solar Flares)

6. mkaen

mkaen Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2011
    #266 mkaen, Apr 5, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
    Eh?
    1. Dying is part of the fun.
    2. Of course you can stop a run and come back to pick it up later.
    3. The guy you quoted seems confused about what a roguelike(-like) is.

7. BlueTrin

BlueTrin Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    With the new content I really struggle in the last fight

8. badmanj

badmanj Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    I've reached the flagship a couple of times now, on 'Easy' but just get totally wiped out against it. It seems quite easy to get to the flagship but the difficulty then just escalates way beyond anything previously experienced.

Any hints on how to beat this?

9. Xexist

Xexist Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Canada
    I'm just on my phone right now so it's harder to find and paste a link, but just google it. Tons and tons of info on FTL out there

10. BlueTrin

BlueTrin Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    Obviously not with the new content ... FTL veteran here, the flagship is really more powerful now with the new abilities such as hacking

11. Xexist

Xexist Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Canada
    Apologies, didnt know you were talking about enhanced ed.

12. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    It isn't that one can save their game in progress, it's that you can't RELOAD a save after you die. Play a little, quit out (thus automatically save), play some more, die...and you'll need to start a fresh new run.

I'm playing on Easy, which is still a decent challenge for me, and I'm finding it a great way to learn the mechanics.

I think a LOT of people's expertise in this game is based not by memorizing correct responses encounters since they mostly seem somewhat randomized, but more LEARNING how all of the ship components/mechanics interact.

For example, I initially thought combat boiled down to taking out the weapons and then maybe hitting shields...but now I'm seeing this tactic doesn't always work. Sometimes you need to start with shields or maybe even the drone bay depending on the situation.

13. spooky23

spooky23 Well-Known Member

Jun 30, 2011
    Chaps - aside from the space battles, how much time is spent being immersed into the expansive universe that the story arc takes place in? Is it all frantic do or die action or is there time for discovery and contemplation?

14. Pillar

Pillar Member

Aug 25, 2013
    It's almost all fighting. The story of FTL is in the harrowing battles; even a total wipe is a good story.

15. Xexist

Xexist Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Canada
    I got my mantis ship :D Yaaaaaaay! 4 person away teams for the win!

16. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    #276 VirtualBoyFreak, Apr 6, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
    I've been playing many hours today too, and that's 3 days in a row. I think $10 is a great deal compared to all the hours I've enjoyed the game (and more to come). Each ship you unlock is a whole new approach to the game, and there are 10 ships... Plus you have the original content and the advanced content, which makes the game play quite differently (new tools & enemies = new approach to winning the game).

It's a bug, confirmed by the devs (I mailed them, they replied). It should be fixed in the next update. This is their reply to my mail:

Got it. Yeah, we broke that quest apparently. If you were to do it again, there's a 50/50 chance you get the other result (a different reward) that also does the ship unlock. We added that new reward of the Envoy, but forgot to include the ship unlock tag. Thanks for letting us know.

Me too. I always play on easy, sometimes with extended content, and other times with original content. I usually reach the last sector, but I'm always screwed by the last boss.

I use http://ftl.wikia.com for all the tips regarding the game. Since you're a veteran, maybe you can apply all the tips there and your knowledge to beating the ship. I like using the hack tool, but the boss hacked my weapons every time I hacked his shields, so I was screwed up.

I haven't tried, but maybe using a drone to destroy all the hack devices, along with the tips at the ftl wiki, could help. You need to gather a lot of resources though...

There are many events in the game, and some of them aren't based on fighting, so you can enjoy non-battle moments. Nonetheless, to build your ship strong enough you need to battle starships, many starships...

17. RinoaHeartily

RinoaHeartily Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    I got a virus crew after like forever fighting a virus ship... But later I was killed by a mantis ship... This game is awesome I just wish it had a save progress button at least do it for easy... It brutal to start all over again lol

18. Wiarumas

Wiarumas Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2014
    The lack of save to reload before death is kind of the appeal as much as I hate to say it. It's kind of old school charm, the kind I had playing the same handful of NES levels over and over again just to see if I could make it a bit further.

If it had the ability to reload, I would probably cheat death every time, have a ship of my dreams, and uninstall the app satisfied with my final play through. Instead, I have a "one more time" attitude because I'm never really satisfied with how I did things last time.

I do have a bit of a slow mo, oh no it's happening moment every time, watching everything I worked so hard for and was so content with slowly unravel at some unforeseen circumstance.

My most recent death: end game worthy ship decked out until shields went down in an asteroid field, took some unlucky asteroid hits, enemy hits, rampant fires, hull breaches, broken doors, dead pilot. Survivors managed to destroy the enemy ship and boarding party before getting stranded in the medbay surrounded by broken, oxygen-less rooms. Physically impossible for survivors to make repairs to door system to close doors to allow oxygen to get to the bridge. Either die a slow death in the medbay or go out like a hero trying to repair those doors. 2 by 2 they all died as I curse this game out and start a new game.

19. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Downloading...

Download size: 164MB
    Installed size: 168MB

20. Baracus

Baracus Well-Known Member

Hehe, yep, that sums the atmosphere of this game up very well!

So many "oh s^%#!" moments in every run. And so many funny ways to come to your demise. Totally love it :D

When things start to unravel it's a fast and slippery slope haha

I too am very glad you cannot just reload if things don't go your way. It would make the whole thing meaningless really.

Game is perfect. I think it's one of those desert island games. If I could only have 3 games for ever more this would be one of them.