iPad FTL: Faster Than Light - (by Subset Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Apr 2, 2014.

1. Patt

Patt Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Mar 26, 2010

This.

2. coxy

coxy Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2011
    England
    on virtually every single run through I die when people transport onto my ship - I am overwhelmed.

Anyone got any tips on how to stop / help with invasions on your ship?

3. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Hit PAUSE to stop the game, concentrate the crew in one room far away from the airlocks, open all doors including the airlocks, close your room. Wait for the O2 to go and kill them of suffocation. If they don't die and enter your room, close all doors and give them the last "touch" with the crew :D

Me too!

4. coxy

coxy Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2011
    England
    Thanks! I do try and do that - but in the mean time my ship will get blasted by the other ship and I can't return fire / man the shields room!

Love the game - but damn is it hard :)

5. CzechCongo

CzechCongo Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2013
    What VBF said. Or, alternatively, open doors to lead them to the med bay, where your whole crew is waiting to give them the beat down while getting healed.

6. Foghorn Irrascible

Foghorn Irrascible Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Asphyxiate them. Upgrade your doors ASAP.

7. Foghorn Irrascible

Jul 20, 2013
    Make sure you leave someone in Weapons if you can.

8. Foghorn Irrascible

Jul 20, 2013
    So you only buy stuff that thousands of other people are buying?

You must miss out on a lot of great stuff that isn't a freemium rip off :(

9. Foghorn Irrascible

Jul 20, 2013
    Don't bother with Star Command at all, it's a pale, frustrating, agonisingly slow imitation of FTL. You'll hate it after playing FTL.

Out There is similar in execution to FTL but features very little skill-based gameplay, it's basically a Choose Your Own Adventure reading game with random events you have no control over which can finish you without warning. Personally I think you'll dislike it too after playing the much richer and more engaging FTL, and can't recommend it either.

10. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    You can gather all in the weapons room too ;)

11. Foghorn Irrascible

Jul 20, 2013
    That too :)

12. mekanikal fiend

mekanikal fiend Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2010
    whenever i get invaded early, i just retreat to the medic bay.
    its way easier to kill people when your life is constantly being replenished. even if there is zero oxygen your guys don't take any damage while in the medic bay(at level one) but beware that if your taking damage while there is no air, you will take damage and you should upgrade your facilities to level 2 so you're able to actually recover life while there is no air and fighting.

enemies dont get the recovery boost from your medic bay.

before doing any of this, tho, you should set all of your weapons to attack the enemy ships shield and weapons bays. after the enemy is dead, then focus on fixing up your ship [as long as its not an emergency (fire, hole in hull, weapons damaged etc)]

i always try to get 3 shields asap.

13. Aventador

Aventador Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia
    Some advices :

- don't waste missiles in first sectors, burst laser can take down all enemies with a bit more time needed
    - upgrade shields ASAP so you get 2 bubbles , with that you're mostly unbeatable in first 2 sectors
    - Upgrading engines is cheap way to get more evasion
    - don't buy slaves from slavers, attack them and try to damage them badly without destroying them , in most cases they will offer you free slaves so you don't destroy them
    - scrap recovery arm is best ship modification you can get ; get more of them if you can because they stack ( as every other modification )
    - sending crew on away missions is usually bad
    - Mantises and Rockmen are best offensive and defensive crew
    - if you get boarded , try to suffocate invaders if you have blast doors, but if they're attacking O2 , better to send crew on them before they destroy it and just switch them into medbay as they get low on health
    - you need cloaking system for last flagship fight

14. badmanj

badmanj Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    #214 badmanj, Apr 4, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
    I find I'm able to pick up additional weapons or drones but cannot use them due to having insufficient power - yet I have plenty of power apparently (four or five spare 'bars' of the stuff. Is there something else I need to upgrade to utilise all of the weapons I have equipped?

It seems that even though I have spare power, I can't fully fill up the power bar on my weapons section?

Cheers

Jamie

15. miroa

miroa Well-Known Member

May 22, 2013
    Personally, without Out There, I wouldn't have even looked at this game.

Now, I wish I could quit my job and play FTL full time. Instead, I still have a job and not enough sleep hahahaha

16. ednan

ednan Well-Known Member

You gotta not only to have bars, but also upgrade the weapon system to actually put this bars in use.

17. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    You and others were too kind. It's a game that's best strength is that "it's something to do", but so isn't mowing the lawn or cleaning the gutters and I'd wager those are both far more satisfying AND more fun. It's a joyless mish mash of poorly integrated compromises in (bad) game design from an amateur team that was given enough money and time to turn out multiple indie gems and managed to squeeze out one over hyped dud.

Probably hate it without playing FTL first, it's just an all around meh experience.

18. Wiarumas

Wiarumas Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2014
    A bit of a masochistic experience with this game.

Every time I end up doing really well.... Like cloaking, multiple weapons, system upgrades, ton of crewman... Something like 3 rock men board my ship near my oxygen room, kill everyone who attempts to fix the oxygen as everyone slowly suffocates.

Or another time as a bunch of mantis disabled my shields, my crew couldn't handle the boarding party plus fires plus the onslaught of hull damage.

Actually just in general, I suffer more losses from boarding parties than anything else...

19. NinjaKitteh

NinjaKitteh Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Don't know what you're talking about. Me and every friend I know with an iPad and a steam copy of FTL instabought this. In fact this is the first game I've ever felt the need to recommend to other iPad owners. It was worth the price on Steam and doubly so on the iPad.

20. Menel

Menel Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2012
    Engineer
    TN
    #220 Menel, Apr 4, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
    Thought I finally had a baller ship, plowing through sectors 6 and 7 like hot knife through butter. Then sector 8...

Rebel flagship pwned the shit out of me. Holy cow. Gotta rethink this.

Agree, they ask too much. This should have been in the 2.99-4.99 range. Not surpassing Infinity Blade in value.

Attached Files: