Universal Frozen Synapse Prime (By Double Eleven LTD)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Aug 20, 2015.

1. zen_mode

zen_mode Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Sydney
    I saw something a while back that said the tactical decisions in this and the original really just come down to how well you understand the combat algorithm, and that there's no randomness or chance at all to any decision. I've been avoiding it for years when I read that. Is there much truth to it?

2. TouchiMedia

TouchiMedia Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2013
    I hope there is MP.

No MP is a deal breaker for me. If the PC version had it ( never played )... Why wouldn't it be included

3. L0ck

L0ck Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2015
    #23 L0ck, Aug 21, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
    For the original that was true, which most people considered a good thing - either your strategy works or it doesn't, no redoing the same thing 10 times in the hope this is the one time the RNG decides to bless you.

Not that RNG play bothers me -- I love me some Roguelikes. But pure strategy has its place too. Haven't, and probably won't, tried the new one but the original was a lotta fun.

e: to be more clear, I read what you read too I'm pretty sure, and it was in relation to gunplay outcomes. As for movement, no idea how much randomness was in the ai's movement patterns.

4. touchy85

touchy85 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2015
  5. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    The original best suits PC, this version is basically built for touch and consoles and suits those well. It's pretty much the point, the original ported to iPad was clunky and had poorly thought out UI at best. I can't speak for how it plays on iPad but the combo touch and physical controls on Vita are excellent.

6. bwort110

bwort110 Member

Jun 11, 2013
    Andy news about multiplayer? The original had cross multi. No mp no buy

7. Crabman

Crabman Well-Known Member

May 24, 2013
    Berlin
    even the vita version has MP...

Anyway,still on the fence about this.I'm not interested in MP myself but if the game is THAT hard that i can clear only 10 SP level (for example)...well.Dunno.So many stuff to buy this week (not only games).

8. Dragan

Dragan Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2014
    Belgium
    I'm also waiting for a good review.

9. mzinn

mzinn Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2014
    I don't see any MP. Just Campaign, Skirmish, & Tutorial. I struggled playing the orig FS release for iPad & have to say I'm loving this version. Not just the better look but also the feel. This time I fell right into playing well & understanding how to be successful. Some of that may have to do with playing the original but whatever the case I'm really enjoying it & appreciate some of the advancements/improvements.

10. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    How big is this installed?

As someone who found the original way too complicated to understand fully, is this in any way more user friendly?

11. mzinn

mzinn Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2014
    #31 mzinn, Aug 22, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2015
    389mb Installed
    I'm going to say yes on user friendly. If I remember correctly the vid posted above by touchy85 shows the tutorial. That little hand holding by playing the tutorial did it for me & I was off & running. I too struggled with the original, I was overwhelmed by all of the options. At this point in Prime (4 missions in) I'd say the simpler GUI & options helped make me feel comfortable. I'm no pro by any means but I'm doing well & at least enjoying this version. At this point with the original I was trying to find a reason to keep it on my iPad.

Edit - don't get me wrong. I've played the same mission over & over because I forgot about something I could/should do or made a dumb mistake. It's not a cake walk. But I've yet to be lost with command options or get too frustrated. It's challenging. But this time I'm enjoying the challenge.

12. Crabman

Crabman Well-Known Member

May 24, 2013
    Berlin
    Thanks for your impressions!

13. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    #33 metalcasket, Aug 22, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2015
    Thanks for the impressions, mzinn. Really appreciate it.

Not only is the file size relatively small, I love that the developers opted not to include multiplayer. Why? Beyond the fact that I honestly don't care for it; as mentioned already in the thread, the original Frozen Synapse didn't have the most incredible multiplayer system on iOS. I remember you had to have a FS account, things got confusing as you'd have to choose between online and offline stuff to play when you didn't want to play multiplayer and...well, I'm mostly simple minded and don't like a lot of clutter in my games, thanks very much. :p Even though no one was forcing me to play multiplayer, it just seemed like that was the focus of that game and it mostly ruined the entire experience for me.

I loved the concept of the first game, but for me at least, it's just too demanding of a game. I watched touchy's video of Prime and pretty much understood what was going on, so what the hell...downloaded and can't wait to try it out. :)

EDIT: Oh, an article from Pocket Gamer from when the game was apparently released on Android in March 2015 says the developers didn't add multiplayer in the Android version even though it was in the Vita and PC versions to focus on the single player aspect of the game. Mind that? I don't personally.

14. mzinn

mzinn Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2014
    --
    Same here. I could care less about multiplayer most of the time. Especially when it's full of hacked players or a silent server.

Let me know what you think of it. I bought FS Prime only because I really wanted the original to resonate with me. The concept did but I was lost in the originals gameplay. So far so good with Prime. I just played the same mission like 12 times but actually laughed when I saw what the AI did to knock me out. Tricky buggers - Now to plan my revenge!

15. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Agreed dont care about MP at all.

16. brerlappin

brerlappin Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2009
    Anyone know if it has iCloud support to play between devices? Thanks!

17. brerlappin

brerlappin Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2009
  18. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Awesome. Thanks for that. Yep, pretty much exactly what I wanted out of the original FS. I think myself and mzinn are exactly on the same wavelength here.

19. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Really, REALLY enjoying this. Considering the first game threw half a dozen videos at you to learn the mechanics, it was a pleasure going through the two tutorials and reading the instruction manual here. Seems simple enough with a ton of depth and I can't wait to spend more time with it.

2 problems with the game, though: 1) Restarts whenever you switch to another app. Huge problem. 2) Battery hog. I believe a 5 minute round used up 7% of battery and the phone heats up too. :/ I hope these things get sorted out.

20. Neddy F

Neddy F Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2009
    It's only pass and play I'm interested in which is on the original so I prob won't plum for this!