iPhone Frozen Synapse - (by Mode 7)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, May 15, 2013.

1. JagerBombS

JagerBombS Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Yep, you have an online level and a point system. I'm not exactly sure how it works but I have five games going, all against level ones, as I was when I started. I'm now level 3, (2-0 dude!) and each victory awards points for how well you do. It's a good time to jump on as there are tons of new ipad players. Do it, if you think you might like this.....you will. It's really good.

2. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    How did you pick to go against the level ones? I was matched against a level 13, and two level 4s...

3. jamarohn

jamarohn Active Member

May 18, 2012
    #163 jamarohn, May 17, 2013
    Last edited: May 17, 2013
    Has anyone figured out how to apply the Zone feature? I enter the Zone mode, draw a zone, then save it. Wat I can't figure out is how to assign a unit to focus on the zone... I select the unit, draw a waypoint towards the zone, then I tap on the zone focus command but it's not sticking... Help?

Update: never mind, figured it out. After selecting the command, you need to tap on the zone. What I didn't realize is that you need to tap on the edge line of the zone box, not the center of the zone.

4. JagerBombS

JagerBombS Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
    I'm not sure, maybe I'm lucky? It seems there is multiple ways to find a match. I've been clicking the red circle in the top left to yellow, and it says something about finding a match meeting criteria. Then one more click is green for a quicker match...I think? Lol. I'm not positive, but it finds matches quick and there is a full, fleshed out multiplayer system here, that we can be sure of. I even had a nice chat with someone in game, then you can friend or even just follow users. Easy direct challenges. So many multiplayer functions that iOS games usually lack.

5. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Pressing the button for a multiplayer game,
    Orange = finding a game that matches your settings (when you press the mode button you can choose the types of game modes you want to include)
    Green = finding any game, to get you a match quick

6. tarek

tarek Active Member

Nov 12, 2012
    I'm a purely offline single-player type gamer. I have questions.

What is the rough length (play time) of campaign? 55 missions seems hefty and hopefully translates into good length.

What is the strength of the campaign story? Is it compelling and well written? Does it follow a storyline or just a bunch of descriptions to give some basic context to the upcoming mission?

Are there any RPG like elements? Do you upgrade your squad? Do you name squad members? Does it keep track of their mission stats and injuries? Etc etc.

Thanks

7. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Story, is a proper story not just some random situations, there's actual chat between characters and some kind of reason for doing the next mission. It's all futuristic sci-fi / hacker'ish stuff though.

No RPG elements other than as you work through the missions you unlock different types of guys for your team, like snipers and rocket or grenade guys, but you don't pick your team its assigned for you.

Can't say about the length, but I've been playing both the single player and online pretty much constantly since it came out on Wednesday/thursday night and I've finished about 16 online games and probably I'd say 10 of the single player missions.
    The single player does seem like it has some good replay ability though as each mission map is randomly generated to a certain extent, so if you fail and retry a mission the map and enemy placement won't be the same the next time.

Then on top of all that you have a skirmish mode which is totally customisable.

8. Meridian99

Meridian99 Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2012
    quick question in case someone knows: can you save an offline skirmish match halfway? When I play and go to the main menu I can't find a way to return to the game. Great game by the way!

9. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    There are some funny one liners in the story mode as well. I've only played the campaign so far to build up my skills before jumping online.

Might get online this arvo

10. squabs

squabs Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2012
    This is bloody awesome! I'm a late comer to this game but wow. Sort of reminds me on metal gear solid vr missions on psx crossed with rainbow six. Not many games make me laugh manically as when an outcome is pulled off exactly as anticipated resulting in carnage

11. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    #171 iPadisGreat, May 18, 2013
    Last edited: May 18, 2013
    I have only completed like two campaign missions, but the story is really weird. I was expecting something Rainbow Six-ish, but Frozen Synapse talks about shapeforms, the net and other cyberpunk stuff. Great if you are into Hollywood's interpretation of cyberpunk I guess.

As for campaign missions, so far each mission started with my troops already loaded out and deployed in a situation. None of the troops have names, so again, you are not really going to be attached to your guys like in Rainbow Six: Vegas, which I guess makes more sense in this tactical simulation, because you know, you are the tactician, not the baby sitter... So this is not like Final Fantasy Tactics where you will grow your squad through missions, but rather, we have a sitution dude, here are your forces and they are currently deployed thusly, that is your objective. Go get them. Rinse and repeat.

Do get a disposable email account to login to the online mode, even if you have no intention of playing online, because you get to watch other people's matches, and the way they play will blow you away. You will be amazed at how they deploy, feint. attack...

12. tarek

tarek Active Member

Nov 12, 2012
    Thanks for the thoughts. Still seems like a brilliant game. It will sit on my watch list for now, whilst I make my way through Gemini rue.

13. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
  14. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Good read. However a "free" download option with only one scenario unlocked/no online could at least give people a taste. Then the premium unlock could be purchased. It works on Xbox live pretty well.

It's not like F2P and premium are the only two models.

15. BrushMyNoseOff

BrushMyNoseOff Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2009
    Coach / Photographer
    NYC
    Hey all,

Purchased this earlier and wanted to give the multiplayer a go - any person as green as me up for a 'friendly'? Maybe not the best thing to go online right away here, but it's what I'm drawn to. Played a couple of AI skirmishes, but rather itching to play mp. Cheers!

16. CoreyB

CoreyB Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Aircraft Mechanic
    Chicago, IL
    Is there a particular reason you say to get a disposable email account? I used my primary one, just wondering if you had a bad experience or something.

17. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    Not with Frozen Synapse, but at another forum, where someone hacked into the email account I was using and changed the password. Since then, I register for forums using throwaway accounts...

18. PrayForDeath

PrayForDeath Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2012
    You do realize that your mini doesn't support retina and thus you wouldn't be able to tell the difference if this game were retina, right?

19. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    I agree, but the truth is the unitiated casual gamer rules the market. The unfortunate problem with this model on the App Store is that there are too many customers unfamiliar with the model and are quick to give a one star review to a gam because the developer had the "audacity" to ask to unlock the full game, whereby this customer proceeds to call the app a ripoff and give it a poor rating. A lite version rated poorly due to ignorance can hurt a developer especially with a customer base that largely looks at the star rating of an app to decide thier downloading rather than reading the reviews.

In essence, the rating system on iTunes is broken and having two products on the AppStore, one lite and one full can so etimes hurt a developer. It could help, it could hurt, but in every case it is always a gamble. I think of Cordy 2 which is recent in my memory, that initially suffered staggeringly poor reviews upon release solely because customers seemed offended that the game only allowed a few stages before asking to unlock the full version. Most of the negative reviews noted the game not being free as thier issue. Unfortunately folks on the AppStore are spoiled by freemium games and the typical casual gamer doesn't care to unlock a game.

But this is a core game at its heart, so maybe I am wrong. Just my opinion on the matter...

20. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    $20 says it was somehow your fault.