iPhone Frozen Synapse - (by Mode 7)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, May 15, 2013.

1. airhead3

airhead3 Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2009
    I respectfully disagree on the controls - everything is quickly accessible and I feel like I can cruise through assignments faster than I did on the PC. Interestingly enough, I've been following the dev blog since they started working on the iPad version, and they did spend a lot of time on a pie interface. Ultimately it never felt 'right' on the iPad (IIRC).

I find that I'm not bothered by the non-retina graphics at all. Maybe it's because I love this game so much and I am bias toward playing it, but I think it has more to do with the glowing aesthetic makes the lower res display much less jarring/noticeable.

2. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Removed, bad link to contact page

3. Corvo Attano 77

Corvo Attano 77 Active Member

May 5, 2013
    I doubt they need telling that people like retina graphics.

My view of the game isn't coloured by experience of the PC version (I've not played it). I'm just saying what I think of the game, not how I think it compares to... well, to itself. Some of my complaints are just a matter of taste of course.

Having played a couple more missions I've already reached the point where I'm slogging through the game just to see if it Gets Good Later, and that's not a promising start given that I love tactical games.

A Helsing's Fire style of LOS should be in here. The lack of it leaves me ineptly eyeballing who can see where, or using the cumbersome and limited sightline function.

The ability to see the location of all enemies at all times (and vice versa, judging by their movements) is odd and strips the game of some depth.

But the biggest problem is that there's just not much going on. You tell your guys where to move and where to aim and that's it. There's no special abilities like sprint or covering fire or grenade, nor any environmental features like elevated positions or doorways. Not that every tactical squad game must have those, but if you're going to take them out there needs to be something else in there to give the gameplay some depth and complexity. This has nothing, so far.

4. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

#104 Sanuku, May 16, 2013
    Last edited: May 16, 2013
    Ok this one goes totally out of Control in my eyes if it comes to the Press:

Some of the Day One Reviewer of the Mobile Build seem to even hadn`t played it at any point. It goes even that far that some did mentioned that they played through the Tutorial obviously not knowing that it was cut out in an lazy move and replaced by a bunch of Videos.

Overall:

I hope the Developer don`t stop at the current Point and keep bringing those Updates (Retina, Tutorial,...) to make sure this Build doesn`t stay in it`s current forum since it`s, judging by some comments here, an quick Port that doesn't really show what the Game is really capable of in the longer run.

5. Bischi777

Bischi777 Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2013
    I'm always puzzled by people who give 1 star ratings to such great games. Of course if you dont like the ui or the graphics give it a lower rating... But seriously? 1 star? Enviro Bear is a valid one star game but a game like frozen synapse? Thats just mean.

6. Mythbuster

Mythbuster Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    #106 Mythbuster, May 16, 2013
    Last edited: May 16, 2013
    I have written why I gave only one star! In their forums the developer wrote it is a direct port! This is simple not the truth! So I feel cheated!

1. The PC Version has in Single Player four AI Levels and five Styles (Personalities)! I am playing only offline so for me the AI / AI Settings are the biggest point! This crappy piece of Software has no AI Settings at all!

2. No Tutorial! Sorry, this is (in my opinion) another no go! You cannot expect that a user will download the PC Version to play a Tutorial ...

3. No Retina support ... come on, it is 2013, every game should support the native solution!

4. The UI: In my opinion it is much worse compared to the PC Version.

And as I wrote: It is a kind of a lie to advertise with good ratings which was given for the (full) PC Version ... and not for this joke!

PS. If you want to see what a real 1:1 port is: Take a look at Magic 2013!

7. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I'm finding the in-game UI workable, but it's clear from the menus with their small buttons and text input fields that the game hasn't been redesigned enough to really appeal to the strengths of a touchscreen. It still -looks- like it's supposed to be navigated with a mouse pointer.

8. Aventador

Aventador Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia
    Looks like I will be skipping this port until they sort out some things I expect to have in game at that price.

9. TopherW

TopherW Active Member

Jun 15, 2012
    It looks like if you go into the Skirmish Generator you can choose how many enemies you face and how many soldiers you bring in. For the person saying there are no difficulty settings, just bring in fewer enemy soldiers and more ally soldiers... Should make for an easier game...

That skirmish mode seems to give endless replayability at however hard or easy you want to make it.

10. Mythbuster

Mythbuster Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    Cool ... like a chess game where you can adjust only the level by the way of removing pieces ... :rolleyes:

11. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    I'm quite fond of that, to be honest. It bugs me when I ramp up the difficulty in an action game and all it does it raise the enemy HP level, but if it's throwing a buttload more soldiers at me... chaos is fun. Ideally we'd have both, of course.

12. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Thanks guys. I used what you said and won my first mission 3 guys vs 1 tango in the skirmish generator.

I noticed that when one my guys was in a bad tactical position, that he was dead no matter what order I gave him to try in the simulation. Is it correct that he will be a dead man in that situation or am I missing anything? I tried running to the sides for cover, standing, ducking, aiming, engaging, but in each simulation, the tango got him first. My guy was behind two half height obstacles and his sightline terminated at his second half height obstacle, and the tango was behind his own two half height obstacles, but could still shoot and kill my guy everytime?

13. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
  14. abstractgamefreak

abstractgamefreak Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Male
    Musician
    Germany
    Here's what Paul Taylor of Node 7 told Pocketgamer today: "(...)Aside from that (minor stuff like extreme settings for the skirmish generator), every feature from the PC version of the game is available in the iPad edition."
    Hmm, never believe what you haven't seen with your own eyes?
    I have downloaded the PC demo of FS to play the tutorial, but I totally see your point, Mythbuster. Thanks for impressions, everyone.

15. airhead3

Feb 11, 2009
    There are many game modes you can play - the "Dark" game modes means you don't see your opponents unless you have line of sight; and you're right - it makes things a lot more interesting! :)

I'm thinking you probably need to experience more of what the game has to offer. For example, you can choose to 'sprint' (normal movement), or move while aiming a different direction (slower), duck to hide under windows or half-height obstacles, and there's cover fire (focus on a particular unit or a zone). Hiding behind doorways is a great strategy (in Dark modes), though you're right in that there's no multi-level vertical features. There are also grenade, bazooka, and sniper units, in addition to the standard machine gun and shotgun (which are faster runners) units. I've found SO many weighty, rewarding tactical decisions in this game - sometimes it's overwhelming the sheer number of possible options, so I have a hard time seeing this as lacking depth or complexity.

16. netmute

netmute Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2012
    Maybe a warning to those who haven't played the PC game:
    This is primarily a multiplayer title. If you want to play singleplayer, you will most definitively not enjoy it.

I bought it first thing this morning. Can't wait to try it when I come home from work.

17. airhead3

Feb 11, 2009
    While I agree that this game shines the most in the multiplayer mode, I found a lot of enjoyment in the lengthy single-player campaign (you find the campaign by going into Offline mode from the main menu).

18. Bischi777

Bischi777 Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Yeah I still call you a big meanie :) a game with a 1 star rating is a broken game, this game is far from broken. I didnt play the pc version and i dont support false advertisment but the game is deeper than many other ios strategy games and it works imho great with this UI. Would it be prettier with retina graphics? Of course! Is it important? Not for me.

But of course ratings are given from a personal point of view and i respect that. I'm just saying for other readers i dont think this game deserves only 1 star.

19. Kamakazie

Kamakazie Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2013
    I think it's pretty great. They did a fantastic job porting the interface to the iPad.

20. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    "Most definitely" is a bit harsh. I prefer single player on the PC version.