iPhone Frozen Synapse - (by Mode 7)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, May 15, 2013.

1. abstractgamefreak

abstractgamefreak Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Male
    Musician
    Germany
    #81 abstractgamefreak, May 16, 2013
    Last edited: May 16, 2013
    Regarding the valid criticisms written here by early adopters (tx guys) it might be sensible to put this on the watch list and wait (my "bought and unplayed" folder is already full) ;) Of course nothing that can't be improved by an update. Thank god I have Eclipse. And Agricola has been submitted last week. My iTunes credits won't go bad so fast.

2. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    I knew nothing about this game until a few weeks ago. I love it. Steep learning curve but once you get the hang of it it's thrilling stuff. The gameplay is tight and the layers of strategy before each move is immense. Great addition to the ios catalogue.

Agree that doing the campaign is a good way to learn the ropes

3. SumoSplash

SumoSplash Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    Intentional or not, easily one of the funniest things I've read on TA thus far.

4. geoelectric

geoelectric Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Played a couple of rounds. Did tutorial on PC first. It's more interactive than the videos, but not significantly better.

The graphics aren't as bad as I feared. Smallest text is blurry but not awful.

The interface, though, is kind of crappy. The elegant PC interface is replaced by this pseudomodal buttonfest. I'm really shocked they couldn't do a pie interface or something that came off better than this. It works, but it's so clumsy compared to the mouse-driven version.

All that aside, the game is very good, reasonably approachable, and significantly more core than 99% of iOS stuff out there. I wish it'd been done better, but it's still a welcome port, and well worth $7 if you like tactics games.

5. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Frozen Synapse is hard. I watched the tutorials and then got blown away in my first campaign mission 0:3. Never ever did so badly even in the original Rainbow 6. :(

6. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    #86 september, May 16, 2013
    Are you doing a test run before you commit your moves? The simulation of what could potentially happen based on your movements and known enemy positions.

7. Mythbuster

Mythbuster Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    After all, I can only give one star for this game!

1. The Tutorial from the PC Version is not included.
    2. No different AI Level Settings or AI styles like in the PC Version.
    3. No Retina support.
    4. The UI is really crappy.

Sorry, but this one could be way better ... :(

PS. It's a shame to advertise with ratings from the (much better) PC Version ... thumbs down for this! :)

8. grenadedodger

grenadedodger Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Manchester, UK
    Cannot wait to get home tonight so I can finally fire this up! :D

So for anyone who is playing this already, is there any sort of stat tracking or elo system in place? Seems like the kind of game that would lend itself nicely to some sort of league play.

9. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I cannot even get my guys to aim straight. The PC version's user interface looked perfect on Youtube. Click guy, select options on pop out menu, and you know that is what he will do at that position.

On my iPad, the options are always there, so when I click aim, an aim box appears with direction, so does that mean he will walk there or not? Why do I have a seperate cancel aim button and why doesn't it cancel my previous aim instruction (which I need to click delete to do) but adds a new box. Then where is my guy aiming at now?

I watched the iPad tutorial videos, but it is very unclear. Developer must really hate iPad users to cripple his interface in such a manner...

iPadisGreatly disappointed and returning to Ace Patrol now...

10. Mythbuster

Mythbuster Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    Yep ... Ace Patrol (and many others games like Spaceward Ho, Carcassonne, Eclipse etc. pp.) shows, that you can create a good UI is no Problem on iPad!

11. september

Sep 14, 2012
    Press aim, rotate direction with finger. Aim has nothing to do with movement, use add waypoint and tap where you want to place it, drag it to reposition for movement. Timers are also useful, as is duck when going past low cover. In a dark match you can almost stay invisible if you're smart.

Coming from the PC version everything was pretty foreign but it only took me a couple of games to get back into the swing of things.

12. VaporKnight

VaporKnight Member

May 18, 2010
    Computer Engineer
    Canada
    ------
    You need 2 separate states for aiming.

You might want to aim... Walk a few steps... Wait 0.5 seconds... then cancel aim... Then walk 10 steps (faster when not aiming) and crouch and aim somewhere else. You need a cancel aim button. Aim is a status you set.. It will stay that way until you either cancel aim action or disengage. It isn't cancelling your previous aim... That is what delete is for... It is adding the switch to not aiming state.

Aim never makes you walk. You can walk one way and aim behind you at the same time.

Tutorial videos cover this, but there is also the help screen with more detailed info.

-VK

13. Hero211

Hero211 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2012
    Please add retina display for iPad 3,4. An fix interface an game would be amazing!

14. retrogamer83

retrogamer83 Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2011
    United Kingdom
    With all the 'lack of retina' complaints, how does the game look on non-retina devices? Specifically the iPad mini?

15. Corvo Attano 77

Corvo Attano 77 Active Member

May 5, 2013
    #95 Corvo Attano 77, May 16, 2013
    Have to disagree with you there - the whole game looks SD to me, nothing at all is retina. Seems weird - you'd think it'd be easy peasy to give this game the full retina treatment. Also isn't there some new rule from Apple that all apps have to be retina ready by a date in the near future?

---

My early impressions:
    - ugly as hell
    - controls and UI not well thought-out
    - feels like a sloppy, rushed port
    - gameplay has potential

16. september

Sep 14, 2012
    #96 september, May 16, 2013
    Some fonts render fine at certain sizes, oddly the smaller ones are the worst and could be rendering sub pixel.

If it bugs you that much write to them, I'm sure the more requests they get the more inclined they will be to add full retina. UI works fine, gameplay has more than potential, it's preserved from the PC build and its spot on as it's always been.

17. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Ok seriously this is awesome. Tough as nails but so rewarding :)

18. SteveWD40

SteveWD40 Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2010
    Looks and plays great on the mini imho.

19. Bi88les

Bi88les Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2012
    Great game, great port!

Controls take getting used to and the graphics could be sharper, but I'd rather have this now, than wait ANOTHER six months for a 'perfect' release.

Love this game!

20. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I'll be the first to admit I'm a "pixel whore", but I'm not a graphics whore. All I require is for games to match the native resolution of my screen as often as possible. When you buy Blu-ray, you want 1080, otherwise you'd have bought a DVD. I play old school PC games in Windowed mode if they don't scale up with nearest neighbor interpolation because blur is just plain ugly. Not only that, but it's usually wholly unintentional. When an asset is created for a game, it's designed to be seen in that resolution, not upscaled. I don't think it's asking too much to view a game as the developer envisioned it would look.

Also, an interest in graphic design + "suffering" from OCPD means I'm forever perfecting images, but I'm getting bored of having to explain myself.