iPhone Frozen Synapse - (by Mode 7)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, May 15, 2013.

1. toxiccheese

toxiccheese Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    Can't the guy have an opinion? Calm down. I see this user on the TA forums all the time and he is in no way the person you are describing. You like the game, I like the game, but some people are still allowed an opinion. It doesn't deter my enjoyment.

2. Twenty One

Twenty One Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
    Oil & Gas Engineer
    Oklahoma City, USA
    This game is AWESOME!

That is all....

3. drloony

drloony Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2012
    Yes you can, I've been playing offline and you can skirmish against the AI, with control over much of match parameters if you choose. I don't see any stat tracking in this game though. It is great fun though, very satisfying to lay out your plans, nice "feel" to the whole package.

4. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

Who woulda thought, the TOXICcheese is the sane one in the bunch :(

;)

5. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    In case anyone's interested in a point of view from someone who is not by default a fan of the genre, nor came to this with any expectations in particular: the game initially dumps you in the middle of a vast array of menus and buttons, seemingly haphazardly overlayed on top of the gameplay area. In place of an actual tutorial you're given the option of watching a large collection of videos. After around 20 minutes of messing around I've little idea of what's going on beyond some very basic mechanics and some sort of grasp of what's "supposed" to happen.

Game says: make a commitment to me.

I say: why should I? You have done nothing to endear yourself to me thus far.

Game gets placed into a folder to be looked at later when I have more time. Anyone familiar with gaming on iOS, probably knows what fate awaits games placed into folders to be looked at later when the gamer has more time.

6. MarqueeK

MarqueeK Member

Oct 25, 2012
    Been a fan since the original came out (but still really bad at the game).
    I do wish there were better controls for the replay, like the ability to use a slider to browse though the thing, moment by momentary and being able to focus on a single unit or where there's action going on.
    Cosmetic yes, but nice to have.
    Also I felt that the bottom panel sometimes got in the way of gameplay.

7. JagerBombS

JagerBombS Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
    I agree with the jarring overwhelmed feeling with the initial startup, but the hand holding isn't that necessary.

I have never played this game and came to say how much I love it so far. I'm really confused by the hate. The tutorial videos take like 5 mins total, and may seem confusing, but once you actually start playing and experimenting it becomes clearer. I'm actually impressed with the controls and still stumble a bit with complicated sequences, but after like an hour I know what I'm doing and can knock out a turn.

The game by no means looks bad either, the text is too small and looks bad, but the game does not.

8. Fimb

Fimb Well-Known Member

May 12, 2010
    #68 Fimb, May 16, 2013
    Last edited: May 16, 2013
    Gabrien. You summed up nicely what's wrong with ios gaming - and sadly, that's why we can't have some really nice things. Some games demand some commitment from us, the really good ones. We used to be a bunch of depth gamers before, now we are spoiled by instant gratification. Don't get me wrong, I know the feeling, I have the very same folder on my ipad. This time, however, you should make an exception. FS is VERY good.

9. doolphinl

doolphinl New Member

Aug 16, 2012
    Anyone who loves TBS needs to play this great game.Instabuy!

10. Fimb

Fimb Well-Known Member

May 12, 2010
    Omg. It plays nicely on the ipad 1. And it's fast, loading times are way faster than on my pc. For me it's the perfect game for the platform. Will be happy with this for a long, long time.

11. badmanj

badmanj Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    Appreciate the gameplay is good for this - so many of you say this that it must be the case.

However it sounds like a very lazy port by the developers with little concern about how to make this look as good as possible on the platform. Lack of retina (let's face it, retina isn't exactly a new concept is it) and very small text (how could they not have noticed this in their testing?) is just not good enough for a premium title.

I will give this a miss and come back later if the developers decide to give this app a bit of love and commitment.

Jamie

12. Mythbuster

Mythbuster Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere

This is not a 1:1 Port! :mad:

The iPad Version has no different AI Level or playing styles! This is a shame! Why does the developer this not communicate? I am no Online Player ... and with no way to adjust the AI Player this game is worthless to me! :mad:

13. CoreyB

CoreyB Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Aircraft Mechanic
    Chicago, IL
    Small text and all this game is everything I hoped it would be. This is by far one of the best months in ios history for quality strategy game releases.

14. geoelectric

geoelectric Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    I held off playing my Steam copy in part because I thought it would be more accessible this way.

Watching Sanuku's video, seems like it's significantly less so. Bummer they didn't do the tutorials, etc.

15. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Bar the retina issues and the unfamiliarity of the Interface, only thing I would have to question is all the packaged video when game assets themselves would take up very little space comparatively. Also people wanting to get a grapse of the game should try the campaign first. It's not a tutorial as such but you will learn from it.

Otherwise it's exactly what I wanted, still an excellent game.

16. VaporKnight

VaporKnight Member

May 18, 2010
    Computer Engineer
    Canada

Hmm.... I have the PC version and red expansion. When I logged in to ipad version it basically said "detected red dlc" and I can play red on my iPad just fine.

Probably to maintain cross platform games.

Also, good job on the controls!!!! I was a bit worried, but everything works amazingly. iPad is definitely my platform of choice now for FS!!

-VK

17. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Downloading...

I had to clear 800+MB before Frozen Synapse will agree to download.

18. Bischi777

Bischi777 Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2013
    This game is demanding and i need to get my head around it a little more. But from what i saw so far its an amazing game. I also think the graphics are beatiful, but im a huge tron fan so what do i know :)

The only complaint i have is: i have no friggin time to play all the good games comming out lately!!! And there are more great games to come! I have to take vacances to play all my ipad games and dont get me started on all the unfinished console games laying around. Hard times...

19. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    What you need is Google Glass so you can play it everywhere, all the time.

Seriously, 2013 is currently a very good year to be an iPad gamer. Currently playing Ace Patrol, Eclipse, and Frozen Synapse. Backlog of those Kemco RPGs I got off the sales. Upcoming, Space Hulk, Warhammer Quest, the highly rated Agricola, Appointment with F.E.A.R...

I would rather have a deluge than a famine. :)