iPhone Frozen Synapse - (by Mode 7)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, May 15, 2013.

1. CoreyB

CoreyB Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Aircraft Mechanic
    Chicago, IL
    #301 CoreyB, May 29, 2013
    Last edited: May 29, 2013
    I'm down if you start a new one, I lost my first two games to Deputy. Well played, gg.

Anyway, looking for some help, as the tutorial video doesn't explain it well. What are the three zone orders under advanced orders for? How and why would you use then?

2. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Ok I'll start a new one. Anyone else keen?

3. Lost_Deputy

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    What's your username :)

4. Lost_Deputy

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Ok Tournament 2 has commenced. May the best green blippy guy win

5. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    GiHub

6. CoreyB

CoreyB Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Aircraft Mechanic
    Chicago, IL
    Nobody knows what zones are for?

7. Funkameleon

Funkameleon New Member

Dec 18, 2010
    Zones are to designate areas to focus on or ignore. An example would be that I am not sure if an enemy player in X situation will go out in the open or, say, post up in a window. I draw a zone around the window, give the command to ignore it.

Now my guy will step out, shoot the enemy if hes out in the open, but if hes in the window my guy will continue on his route to safety before he gets killed. without the zone there he would have entered into a losing fire fight.

Does that make sense?

8. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Unclear.

Do you mean that if your guy will die if he engages the tango at the window, so you instruct him to ignore that area by enclosing it in a zone.

But wouldn't the tango just shoot your guy dea anyway?

9. Funkameleon

Funkameleon New Member

Dec 18, 2010
    In this example I had my unit continue into cover if there was no one to engage (outside the zone).

Units take a second to engage and you can get a lot of mileage by running by and ignoring what you think might be a losing firefight, depending on the distance

10. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    I see, so that extra one second will give youg guy the time to get into cover, whereas if he actually paused to aim at the enemy, he would be shot dead. Interesting. I didn't know that. I will try it when I reinstall Frozen Synapse...

11. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Yes this kind of thing works. Sometimes it's actually better to just run to try and avoid being shot!
    I normally just us the continue order to make my guy run without stopping.

12. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    Adding to this, a lot of times one of your guys is engaged in battle when the game moves back to the Planning Phase. When you keep running the action in simulation mode, you see your guy lost and died. To counter this, issue the Continue command and head for cover, or duck if you are near cover. Many times this saved the lives of my guys.

Game of the year so far, by the way.

13. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    I will keep that in mind when I reinstall Frozen Synapse. I had always thought that my operative would be a goner in such a scenario...

14. Lost_Deputy

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    I use continue 90% of the time. It's hilarious in multi as you and your enemy charge at each both locked into their destination

15. Lost_Deputy

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Just a heads up that the Tournament creation in FS is a bit of a disaster at the moment. I've contacted Mode7 and hopefully it will be cleaned soon and some real TA warfare can get going. For now just individual challenges will have to suffice :)

16. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    Is there any way to delete games I was invited to but did not start? Currently it seems I can only hide them from the list?

17. Lost_Deputy

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Just hide them

18. CoreyB

CoreyB Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Aircraft Mechanic
    Chicago, IL
    #318 CoreyB, Jun 5, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
    What's to prevent a person who is clearly going to lose the match from ever finishing the game? I probably have 20 games that I'm winning where the person abandoned the game. Any game that keeps win/loss records needs to have a way to force a loss on someone who say, doesn't move for a week or something like that. Now I understand if your playing a friend and you know they won't do that, then have an unlimited option. But, by default they should have some way of dealing with abandoned games other than "hiding" them.

19. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Totally agree, I have a few games in my list where people have taken one or two turns then stopped playing, should have someone like ascension where you get a certain time to take your time or you fail.

20. Pocketnova

Pocketnova Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012
    Yes! That would be awesome!