iPhone Frozen Synapse - (by Mode 7)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, May 15, 2013.

1. jamarohn

jamarohn Active Member

May 18, 2012
    Also handy when you have a stationary unit aim in one direction, wait a second, then change the aim. When playing dark mode, this gives you a chance to sweep you field of view to "paint" any opponents.

2. PureRumble

PureRumble Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2012
    You plan a round, commit to it and then see how it plays out.

When youre about to plan the next round, you use the playbackfunction to see how the last round played out.

You know, doing replay on the last round with the playback bar at the bottom of the screen?

Only this time the game shows a _different_ outcome for the last round than what happened after when you committed to it!

Whats more is that the _latter_new_ outcome is now the current situation for the current round!

So the current round that you are at has now changed when compared to how it was _before_ you replayed the last round.

Example, one of your guys gets shot in a hair narrow stand down with an enemy? No problem! Just replay the last round a few times until your guy is the one that fires off his weapon before the poort red sucker. Now in the current round your guy is wobbling around as if nothing has happened.

Niiiiiiiiice bug. Gooooooooooood bug. Does buggy wanna cake? Huh? No cake? What? Buggy wants no cake without some milk?

3. Brrobotix

Brrobotix Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Under your bed
    well that's kinda game breaking. I don't see how it would work though, usually most of the engagements with the enemy are very non random, based on things like weapon type, movement, and aiming

4. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I'm no expert, but it sounds like that might be the random function coming into play. It only occurs if both sides have perfectly matching conditions... maybe it's rolling again on the playback. Interesting though.

Off-topic: I can't wait for X-Com to come out so we can get that obligatory "The game isn't random! Reloaded my save and the same thing happened!" thread.

5. PureRumble

Nov 1, 2012
    Well it gotta be a hair narrow situation between your green guy and the enemy red guy.

A good example is what happened to me. One of my shotgun guys got gunned down by another shotgun from close distance. Now they were aiming for one another and both of them were just about to fire.

So i lick my wounds and look a few times at the replay to analyze how the enemy is moving about. When i play the next current round and watch the outcome i see that my shotgun guy is now alive and had moved on to another spot after having gunned down the other shotgun guy that got him in another life!

6. PureRumble

Nov 1, 2012
    But i gotta s good question too: how the hell did the devs manage to miss this?

I mean sorry if i may sound unforgiving, but this is freaking unforgiving!

7. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Is this online or off? I haven't encountered it yet but maybe I'm not meeting the same conditions. Report the bug if its happening consistently

8. PureRumble

Nov 1, 2012
    This happened offline. It happened several times on my last encounter with the problem, but im gonna be back to add more if/when it happens again

9. Lost_Deputy

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Cheers. I'll replicate it when you give the deets and we can email the dev if its still there

10. PureRumble

Nov 1, 2012
    Ok then sounds good! Ill be back!

11. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Reading this thread earlier I was a little concerned about the lack of in-game tutorial and use of videos only. So seeing how this is crushing the competition in the GoTW thread so far, I'm still contemplating getting the Android version (which I believe should be released in the next week or two).

But I'm a little intimidated. Most of the RTS games I've played have been on the more casual side (like Tentacle Wars and the slightly more advanced, but still somewhat easy-to-pick up Autumn Dynasty).

Is this pretty tough to stomach for a casual RTS player (one who may also be short on time to learn)?

12. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    The initial learning curve will be tough, there's no way around it. I've watched the included tutorial videos and it took me a few games to grasp the basics. Once you've got the basics of commanding your units down, it gets a lot easier.

The very first mission you are given can be replayed as many times as you want, so I did that about half a dozen times until I felt comfortable.
    (the layout is the same every time, but the positions of the pawns are different)

13. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    For me, most of the struggle was learning how to control my troops properly. The actual gameplay didn't put me off at all, it was reasonably tough, but too entertaining for that to matter.

If you can work out what's going on in this video, you should be fine in terms of actually knowing how to play:

It's for the PC version, but they're similar enough for it to be useful. I think this tutorial may actually be a little more in depth than the iPad one. Can't remember for sure.

14. Lost_Deputy

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    I also recommend hitting the campaign first. The restart is quick. Just be ok with dying alot and learning from your mistakes. I find it casual in a sense as there is no real number crunching involved. Just a very detailed handling of actions. A duck here or a sight check there can be the difference of winning and losing.

Online everyone Ive played so far have been good sports. As you can still pull off a win with 1 against 3 I haven't encountered any quitters yet

15. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Thanks for the feedback guys. Definately considering taking this on.

16. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Or you can generate skirmishes and set the parameter to see it fit. One-on-one is probably one good way to learn. Playing campaign, well, I think there is some element of luck in it, but I can assure you it will be very enjoyable (slept at 0400 on Sat morning)

17. virag0

virag0 Active Member

Nov 1, 2012
    sysadmin
    Sydney, Australia
    Han shot first.

Or was it Greedo?!

18. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Han shot first...

19. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    This totally deserves to win game of the week, its an amazing game.

20. Lost_Deputy

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney