iPhone Frozen Synapse - (by Mode 7)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, May 15, 2013.

1. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Well, there was an argument and that led to the hacking. Not sure if you construe that as being my fault... So $20 goes to the Frozen Synapse Red IAP fund?

2. BrushMyNoseOff

BrushMyNoseOff Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2009
    Coach / Photographer
    NYC
    I left the email fields blank and it still registered me. Not sure if I'll ever need that as I probably wouldn't check that email anyway.

3. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    You get an email when it's your turn to move in multi

4. Twenty One

Twenty One Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
    Oil & Gas Engineer
    Oklahoma City, USA
    Lost Deputy is right...the multiplayer turn notification system is play by email (PBEM) as are many other cross-platform games. I wish those games and this one would incorporate in-game alerts like Great Big War Game but I'm not sure of all the mechanics involved.

Having said that, everything about the multiplayer aspect -- as far as the way it handles the lobby/menu/matchmaking and both synchronous/asynchronous, etc. -- is pretty much unrivaled on iOS....at least that I am aware of. I am hopeful that other Devs will take notice and try to emulate and improve upon this system.

5. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    This was my biggest problem with Leviathan Warships, it handles notifications very poorly. I agree that FS handles it really well, it doesn't matter what device you're on you can still check.

6. drloony

drloony Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2012
    Does anybody know, what gives a player the "jump" on another player? Like, when opposing players both enter each others field of view, what makes one of them shoot first? I'm trying to get a handle on this game

7. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Aim, movement speed, crouching play a part but I still don't know what determines it for sure.

Obviously, if your character is moving into someone's field of vision while they're standing, you will lose. If you're moving faster while the other is slow, they will "recover" and aim faster, generally gaining the upper hand.
    Crouching improves aim too, if stationary.

What I don't get though, at one point I had an enemy round a corner, straight into the field of vision of my crouched "pawn", and shot and killed me first. They were both the same class, too, so I don't know what happened there.

8. drloony

Jul 19, 2012
    That's the exact situation that had me stumped. I tried everything possible in the planning phase but couldn't get him. Luckily in the Prime phase he didn't round the corner so I ended up getting him. I'm trying many "tactics" but find myself getting killed a lot though, and was wondering if there was something obvious I was missing, (like the "Engage" command that I'm unsure of). It could mean just becoming more familiar with the game, I feel like as simple as the mechanics of the game are, it ends up being very complex.

9. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I think the "focus" command may be one aspect of it. If he knows you're there and sets his soldier to focus on you as he goes around the corner maybe it's able to get a quick shot off.

10. Twenty One

Twenty One Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
    Oil & Gas Engineer
    Oklahoma City, USA
  11. drloony

Jul 19, 2012
    That helped simplify things, dunno why I didn't think of Wiki

12. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    That wiki is crystal clear

13. mr ed209

mr ed209 Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Anyone who's familiar with the desktop version played this, and able to comment on how the interface holds up on the iPad? I found the interface on the desktop just weird. The way you aim by dragging out the crosshairs, which then displays the aim as originating from several feet away from where your character actually is was just confusing.

14. mr ed209

mr ed209 Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    The guy you replied to there said that he thought it looks ugly, and frankly if it's small text rendered in non-retina style, I'm inclined to suspect he's got a point and you're just rude.

You think it's okay. He doesn't. So you respond with insults. Classy.

15. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    I too am confused by the aiming in the iPad version. Is my guy aiming where the arrow is pointing based on where in the timeline the aim order is given, or is he aiming where the arrow is pointing based on where the aim order was given before I moved the order up in the timeline?

16. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    The reason the aim lines stick out is because they are technically linked to the waypoints/timeline, rather than the character. Generally speaking, all of the functions are designed around ease of use when issuing complex multi-stage orders, so they're not necessarily intuitive if you're just starting off with simple actions.

You can have multiple aiming actions, and each aim line has two ends you can manipulate; one end lets you change the direction in which you intend to aim, and the other end lets you move an aim command from one waypoint to another. It's easier to visualise and manipulate these when they are detached, rather than if they were simply a line pointing straight from the unit like they would be in many other games.

17. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    #197 iPadisGreat, May 19, 2013
    Last edited: May 19, 2013
    This is what I mean:

A-B-C
    -----
    ----E

Where A is where my guy is now.
    B and C is where his movement instructions are, so he will move from A to B to C.

If I set the movement instructions, then set my aim order at C, my guy will aim directly to the south at the enemy, E. Now if I shift my aim order to B, will my guy at B just aim straight down as originally instructed at C, or will he be aiming at E ?

Then when I try to adjust the aim order at B, does it mean it is aiming directly at wherever I am pointing the arrow at or is it relative because the origin of the aiming point is no longer at B, but is shown at an offset to B on my screen?

18. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    If you're using a simple aim order, all that tells your unit is "point your weapon in this direction". Moving that order to another waypoint or position on the timeline won't change the direction of that aim order, it just means that your unit now won't start aiming in that direction until they reach that order. As long as the enemy is still within the cone of vision outlined by the aim order, you can attack them.

19. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    Roger. Understood. Back to suppressing tangoes...

20. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    If you think this game has what it takes to be your TouchArcade Forums Game of the Week (GOTW) vote for it here:

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=189223

Please note:
    1) Devs cannot vote for their own games. If your game is in the poll, you can't vote. You are free to ask TA forum posters in your game release thread to vote for your game... but please don't post multiple messages about it.
    2) This voting is for TA members - no outsiders allowed. If you have to ask someone to create a new account to vote, you're doing it wrong.