iPad Frotz updated to v1.2. New features!

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by starjimstar, Apr 16, 2009.

1. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    Frotz was updated yesterday. It now has a built-in FTP server. That means; you can copy games (and saved game files) from your computer, to Frotz on your iPhone. This feature really is a wonderful thing. For example; the Infocom collection is here, but some of the '.dat' extensions need to be changed to '.z5' before iPhone Frotz will recognize them. Now I can download any game to my mac, change the extension and send it to my phone over FTP. Thanks, Craig Smith. The entire Infocom library is my oyster. :D

2. Phil_Synowiec

Phil_Synowiec Well-Known Member

Are you saying I can save "any" games game save or just Frotz?

3. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    For those not familiar with Frotz, think of it as your Web browser to text-based video games. Way back when, video games were text based and evolved into what you know today as "choose your own adventure" type games. Interactive fiction is based on your responses/selections and determine the next steps in the game. It's just like reading a book except more interactive. There are thousands of games that you can access through Frotz (and you don't even need a live wi-fi connection).

Here's the write-up from TA if you want more info.

http://toucharcade.com/2008/08/13/frotz-interactive-fiction-comes-to-the-iphone/

4. starjimstar

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    I'm not sure I understand your question. Frotz recognizes the 'quetzal' (I think) file type. That is the standard game save data file among Z-machines. So if you are playing a game in Zoom, but you want to continue your game on your iPhone; just copy the quetzal file over to iPhone Frotz.

5. Phil_Synowiec

Phil_Synowiec Well-Known Member

Ohhhh, ok I get it now. thanks

6. SSquared

SSquared Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Software Developer
    Pacific Northwest
    Nice! I had no updates when I checked last night. So will this make it easier to transfer games? I have the Treasures of Infocom boxed set and would like to get some of those on the device.

So, it looks like I go to 'File Transfer' and select "Start File Transfer Server" which will start the FTP server on the iDevice. Then I can start an FTP client on the PC to transfer the files over?

I'm not on my home PC network at the moment, so I can't try this out right now. Just wanting to get an understanding of this.

7. SSquared

Jan 27, 2009
    Software Developer
    Pacific Northwest
    OK. I tried it out and it works GREAT! Just to help anyone who may have questions.

1) In Frotz, go to Settings (this is the little 'i' at the top).
    2) Select 'File Transfer'
    3) Click the button 'Start File Transfer Server'.
    4) This lists the FTP location to use.
    5) I am on Windows, so open up Explorer.
    6) Type in the FTP link specified and click 'Enter'. I did not have to add the 'ftp@' they suggest. The directory should show up after a bit.
    7) Go into the Games directory.
    8) Now transfer your game files you have into this directory.
    9) I copied the Starcross and Suspended files from my "Treasures of Infocom" installation and they both showed up in my list! FANTASTIC!

8. markx2

markx2 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    I doubt anyone will care but every game listed and available at that location is illegal.

Infocom material is fully protected by copyright and downloading those games to play is theft.

9. markx2

markx2 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    To those that use Dropbox and Zoom - or whatever the PC version is - save your files in there. I play on my machine and also on my mbp and this way means I can play from anywhere on the same game.

10. starjimstar

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    The Canadian Copyright Act makes it clear in section 30.6;
    "
    It is not an infringement of copyright in a computer program for a person who owns a copy of the computer program that is authorized by the owner of the copyright to

(a) make a single reproduction of the copy by adapting, modifying or converting the computer program or translating it into another computer language if the person proves that the reproduced copy is

(i) essential for the compatibility of the computer program with a particular computer,

(ii) solely for the person's own use, and

(iii) destroyed immediately after the person ceases to be the owner of the copy; or

(b) make a single reproduction for backup purposes of the copy or of a reproduced copy referred to in paragraph (a) if the person proves that the reproduction for backup purposes is destroyed immediately when the person ceases to be the owner of the copy of the computer program.
    "

So the fact that I purchased the DOS versions of the games does give me the right to a copy in the zX format. Please don't jump to conclusions, markx2; I have done nothing wrong.

11. starjimstar

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    Hey Ssquared, you seem smart. :)
    I have had no problem copying games to Frotz, but quetzal files are proving to be more difficult. Have you been able to figure this out? The quetzal files Frotz produces are appended with a .sav extension while Zoom creates .zoomSave. I tried changing the .zoomSave extension to .sav but that didn't work either. Could it be a hierarchal issue? Do I need a certain file name in a certain folder name? No rush, but if you have some insight, I would appreciate any help.

12. markx2

markx2 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    I was not saying you were wrong. I too have every Infocom game purchased legally. But your link means someone can get Frotz and from that link download all that code. You have your backups, others will be taking that code illegally. So my warning was to those people who do not own these titles that if they take that code they are stealing.

I apologise for any implying you were at fault - that was never my intention.

13. SSquared

Jan 27, 2009
    Software Developer
    Pacific Northwest
    When you do the FTP copy, try copying to the Save directory, if you did not try that already. Otherwise, I don't know. Maybe someone else has done this. I have not used Zoom, but is there a way to have Zoom save it in the correct .sav format? I would think the .zoomSave file would be in the correct format already allowing other interpreters to read the file, but maybe not.

14. starjimstar

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    Hey Square! I did try copying the save file to the save folder. I also tried copying the save file into what appeared to be the correct sub-folder for the game (in this case I am talking about Zork and I think the save folder for Zork is called zdungeon.z5.d.) And when none of that seemed to work, I tried copying my saved game to the Games folder (which, no surprise, didn't work.)

It is my understanding that the saved game files are a standard format, though they can have differing extensions. So changing zoomSave to sav should have worked. What does happen, no matter what I try, is nothing: my FTP client indicates that the file was transferred successfully but it doesn't show up on the iPhone (it just vanishes.) Perhaps my FTP client is buggy. I don't know. I will experiment further when I have the time to do so.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion, all the same.

15. This.

is.

AWESOME.

I'm going to have to grab this so when I get home I can upload Planetfall, HHGTTG, and a few of my other favourites. Sah-WEET.

16. SSquared

Jan 27, 2009
    Software Developer
    Pacific Northwest
    I agree. It sounds like changing the file extension should have been all that was needed. The problem you are having seems to be more in the copying end of things.

Are you on a Mac or Windows? Your FTP client may be read-only. The Mac, I believe, requires a 3rd Party FTP client if you want to write/copy. I found if the screen goes to sleep on your iDevice, then I had a problem copying the files. Keep it awake during the entire FTP process.