Universal Frost (Survival card game by Jerome Bodin)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by LordGek, Sep 26, 2016.

1. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I was just informed by the dev that he found and fixed the save game bug and has already submitted a fix. It's now in Apple's hands and ccould appear later today to a few days from now.

2. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Yay! Excellent news.

-- well, which? The one where the objectives will stop updating, or the apparent crash and not saving?

Thanks!

3. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    The main thing I discussed with him was the objectives not updating, but if we're lucky this might solve other spin-off svae corruption issues, I guess we'll see soon enough.

4. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011

Sounds great good sir. That is the main thing bothering me so it's great news it's sorted!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Update just dropped!

v1.14

-Fixed issue with save game and objectives.
    -Fixed issue with restarting from a loaded game.

Curious to see if this fixes some of those save game crashes as well.

6. lookmanohands

lookmanohands Active Member

Jul 14, 2009
    I'm terrible at this game. I can win on easy and beat the first two scenarios, but medium and the next couple scenarios... no luck. I'm not sure I've even really gotten close. I enjoy the journey, but it always ends in failure.

7. Riggy

Riggy Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2010
    How many scenarios are there to unlock?

8. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    At this point there are 6, corresponding to the 6 characters you can unlock for play in Classic mode if your clear that character's corresponding scenario. As far as I know you'll eventually see all 6 of the character scenarios even if you don't clear any of them (i.e. you aren't required to clear x amount of scenarios before more are unlocked).

No promises, of course, but the dev has hinted there might be more cards and heroes in the future.

9. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011

This is a really great game. I thoroughly enjoy it.

One thing I've found is that the game doesn't auto save every turn, so in the case of being booted out of the app, I won't be given the option to continue the game:/

Is this something that can be looked at? Shouldn't be extremely cumbersome to add an auto save after every action or something?

10. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Also, great review from Pocket Tactics - congrats Jerome!

11. Mack the Knife

Mack the Knife Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    #111 Mack the Knife, Oct 14, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
    nevermind - got my answer from dev on Steam. but i will note that conversation about this game has waned a bit. nobody playing it anymore? was hoping for the game's success so we can get even more new content in the near future. oh well...

12. esty8nine

esty8nine Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2013
    Nope still playing this game =]

13. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I still love the game but am taking a break after playing it on Steam straight for a couple of weeks, and then going crazy on it again for another week or so solid once it hit iOS. While I'm sure the amount of sales will influence the dev's enthusiasm of adding new content, he did make a vague promise that he hopes to add some more content to the game in the not too distant future.

14. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Jerome has just announced a big upcoming update he's hoping to get out the next week or so. I have yet to get a lot of details beyond it adding a couple of new scenarios, some new mechanics, and thus a bunch of cards based around these new additions.

15. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Anybody curious about the 2 new mechanics events, ideas, and scenario leaders are based around in this upcoming update?

16. runliketurtles

runliketurtles Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2012
    Will they help make the game easier? I still really like the core game, but I can only play on Easy. Normal and the scenarios past the first two still are beyond my reach... way beyond.

17. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    #117 LordGek, Oct 29, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
    While I can't say for sure, I think these 2 new scenarios should be a bit easier than the last few very tough ones (like the Tracker) from what I've seen of them so far. Heck, one of these scenarios even uses the Easy mode's resource tracker (as this scenario's objective is based on completing a run with X of a given resource).

While I won't give any spoilers about the update's name sake, "Beyond the Wall" (a theme that sort of ties the 2 new scenarios together), I'm assuming I'm allowed to share the 2 new mechanics introduced.

1) This isn't Happening: There is now a leader ability, an idea, and even a profession that can, for a price, deal out a new event if you aren't fond of the current one.

2) Career Counseling: I personally really love this one! There is a leader ability, an event, and a profession that can train a survivor, again for a price, into a random profession (not sure if it draws from all possible professions or only those you've unlocked so far). Skills pay bills in this game and this is surely a lot cheaper/quicker than the normal method, but as the profession is chosen randomly, it might not be particularly useful for your given situation.

Oh, also worth nothing, you will see all of the ideas and events you've unlocked in the game so far via the upcoming patch's "Collection" button on the Main Menu.

18. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
  19. runliketurtles

runliketurtles Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2012
    Update's on iOS now. I haven't had the chance to try the new changes, but the addition of the Collection alone is appreciated.

20. cbos0503

cbos0503 Well-Known Member

May 9, 2015
    Story Stone/Shelter

I just picked this game up and am loving it. The deck-building mechanic is one of the best things to happen to card games, IMO. I've only played a few games, so forgive me if the answer to this question will become obvious later. But is there a reason you would ever use Story Stone or Shelter? If I'm understanding the cards correctly, you have to trash (Dominion term :D ) resources to only remove fatigue cards from your hand? and these fatigue card simply get discarded to be later recycled? Only place I've seen where this is even remotely useful is in a medium game when one of the objectives is discarding a certain number of fatigue cards. Hopefully I'm missing something and this isn't the only instance these cards are useful. Because so far, there's 2 ideas and 1 event dedicated to an expensive way to simply discard a fatigue.