Universal Frost (Survival card game by Jerome Bodin)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by LordGek, Sep 26, 2016.

1. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    This game is a real nice surprise, it's great!
    How do I unlock scenarios? I can't access it right now. I've played all the other modes.

2. Armadi

Armadi Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2016
    You may need to win a few times- the first scenario unlocked after my 2nd or 3rd win, and the second scenario unlocked after I won on medium difficulty. But I'm not sure if this is true for all players, the game may have random unlocks. And I unlocked a few cards after losing once too.

3. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    #63 LordGek, Sep 27, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
    I don't think there is a max hand size but there are times, with so many cards tucked under your objectives, you'll either not draw the full expected amount or you'll only have a little 3 card hand if that is all you have left.

Just keep playing, and win or lose, they'll eventually show up.

4. esty8nine

esty8nine Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2013
    I'm on 6+ and I too can't hit anything on then bottom of the screen i.e. Discard pile

5. skoptic

skoptic Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2015
    Perfect :) Thanks.... got stuck in some more tonight and see exactly what you mean. I really like this :)

6. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    It wasn't an issue for me on the iPad but I can confirm, unless missing something obvious, I can't access the discards either on my iPhone 6+. I sent word of this to the dev and can only hope he'll tweak the UI to make this work better.

7. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Questions: how do I use the Priest? I give out one seed but nothing happens.

And, anyone finds any good use of Exploration cards?

8. mzinn

mzinn Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Played a few games last night. Man I love this game. Just starting to get some good runs which makes it even better. This is making headway towards the top of my favorite card game list.

9. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Yeah, this took a bit to fully dawn on me, re: exploration. 1 unit of exploration/scouting, the default isn't really that useful, being able to see the upcoming event is okay but not usually that useful, however, if willing to sacrifice a log and get 2 units of exploration/scouting and you can CHOOSE, 1 of 2 possible events! This is amazingly handy as itballows you to completely avoid some of those nastier events. I guess this could be a nice way to avoid particularly nasty regions as well, but I usually focus just on events myself.

What do you mean by giving out a seed as a Priest? His 2 tricks are sacrificing guys to gain heat (and thus a bigger hand until you leave the region) and sacrificing a wood to draw more cards.

10. skoptic

skoptic Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2015
    #70 skoptic, Sep 28, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
    Ok .... question answered by playing a bit more ;)

11. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    What I was referring to is a card(?) which heals your life point (blood) but giving away 1 seed and may be something (in form of a pink speech bubble(?) thingy.

12. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    I also have a question on the cleaver... It seems to suggest that we can use a wood and get a spear, if I'm reading it correctly, but I never manage to get it to work. Whenever I touch the card, it just does the 25% get a wood result.

I must be missing something on the interaction front. It seems to suggest that trashing a card (or that card?) will yield a spear and two woods, but whenever I tap the card it executes the 25% thingie and vanishes. If I select a different card and then tap that card, same thing seems to happen - unless the spear + 2 woods outcome also has a 25% chance of happening.

Any tips?

I also seem to have run into a but where I was going for the "Rest" objective, but after I quit and then reloaded the game, it stopped decreasing. I know I started with it at 12, but after I got to 5 I couldn't get it lower. Did I miss something?

I'm loving the game, though, really fun.

13. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    +1 to pift question re: cleaver. I feel silly not being able to trigger a spear.

14. StratAll

StratAll Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2009
    Click the required resource mentioned at the bottom half of the card then click the card itself in that bottom half. This works for all cards that have an upper and lower effect.

15. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Thanks but I've already had that working for other cards, it just seems to be this one where it shows a blank card thingy for the required resource, and apparently gives a spear and two woods.

What am I meant to press to achieve a blank card thingy?

Have tried pressing any card I have at all in my hand before I tap this card, but every time I do that it just resolves as if I didn't try for the requirement but just tapped the card for a 25% chance. Sounds exact same as what pift is saying.

16. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Yes, this. I believe I also tried pressing a fatigue card (or whatever they're called), but doesn't seem to do the trick, so I'm confused. I am under the impression that the blank card thingie represents the card itself - as if it's telling us we can opt to trash that card to generate a spear and two woods. However, tapping the card just triggers the first action, so I'm confused.

Lord Gek: you played this on Steam - is this something where, on the PC, there's a separate input method on the card (i.e. a right-click or something) that will trigger that option rather than activate the first effect?

17. JeromeBodin

JeromeBodin New Member

Sep 29, 2016
    Hi guys, I'm Jérôme, designer of Frost :) Happy to see that you're enjoying the game!!

I just came by that I'm pushing an update for mobile with the ability to rotate the screen on iOS and the ability to check the discard pile. Should be available in the next 48/72h!

I think I can understand the confusion! The blank card icon means exactly that, you can trash the card to access the bottom effect; you just have to touch the bottom part of the card to access it.

18. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Oh wow. I was trying everything but that! ..Obviously.

Great to hear from you, and it's a great game you have here.

19. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011

Thanks for the clarification. I suppose that the phone screen size didn't help me trying that out. I didn't know/expect that hitting specific parts of the card would do different things. :)

Congrats on the fun game! Well done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. lookmanohands

lookmanohands Active Member

Jul 14, 2009
    Really cool game. I've only played 5-6 rounds so far, but the core game is really good.

The interface could use some work. The UI is a bit touchy in that a few times I messed up when trying to spend or use multiple resources.

Is there a reason when occasionally after I move forward I'm not dealt a new starting hand? Or is this a bug? It's only happened 3 times so far, but when you start with nothing in your hand there is nothing you can do but end your turn.

Attached Files: