Universal Frontline: Road to Moscow (by Slitherine)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, May 19, 2014.

1. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    More work for devs having different versions on the app store. Go and take the 'risk' ! Its a great game, not too complex, not too basic. Well worth picking up

2. RinoaHeartily

RinoaHeartily Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    This game is hard!!! I can't pass the 2nd mission.. That vehicle thing after the bridge is one tough unit...

3. Slitherine Iain

Slitherine Iain Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Hi guys

the 88mm team were over yesterday and we have a plan. We're submitting a quick update today that removes iPad1 and £GS so they cannot be bought. There was a misunderstanding about how this was controlled which we have now fixed. We've also made a change so iPad 2 users won't see tips and this saves a lot of memory so should prevent any iPad 2 crashes and means you don't need to reboot to get it to work.

More changes once these initial issues are resolved.

4. Slitherine Iain

Apr 10, 2011
    Just to let you know v1.01 has been submitted to Apple and they have agreed to fast track it. We don't know what that means but hopefully you'll have it soon!

5. strivemind

strivemind Well-Known Member

So I noticed that the text size issue wasn't mentioned in regards to the 1.01 patch. Is the game still playable with the tiny text/images, or is it worth waiting?

6. Slitherine Iain

Apr 10, 2011
    Well Apple rejected the submission because they decided their original age rating was wrong and in the last few days this has turned from a war game in to something related to gun crime that needs an 17+ rating. Looks like the update is going to be delayed.

We didn't find the text an issue at all in our testing so I guess it depends if you are sensitive to small text! We will change it in a future update though.

7. Patgarret

Patgarret New Member

May 24, 2014
    Ipad1

Iain this means ipad1 owners can't play the game?
    What happens to the one, like me, who bought it based on the fact that the app store said it was ipad1 compatible?

8. RinoaHeartily

RinoaHeartily Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    U should get a refund... Or if u feeling generous get an air

9. Slitherine Iain

Apr 10, 2011
    Yes unfortunately the only option is a refund. It can never work on an iPad1 and was not supposed to allow you to buy it. We apologise for any inconvenience. We certainly did not want this to happen.

10. cassus

cassus Member

May 11, 2014
    Great game. I like the reinforcement system and resupply. I don't have to deal with logistics, which drives me mad cause I suck at that. It was too easy on whatever difficulty I tried. Did all missions on the first go, and I'm not great at these games. Probably the perfect game for anyone who wants to get into strat games, or for people who love advance wars.

If you've played world of tanks, that vehicle knowledge will come in handy.

11. mboog12

mboog12 Member

May 19, 2014
    Hello guys,
    Update 1.01 for Frontline is now live.
    We have removed Ipad1 and 3GS from the list (as it should have been from the beginning).
    We have improved performance for Ipad2.

In the next update : minor fixes to the save system, bigger fonts on retina ipads. If you have requests for the next update, we are more than happy to hear them :cool: .
    We are gonna take a bit more time for the next update, because we want to gather a bit more feedback.

12. TokyoDan

TokyoDan Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2010
    You still haven't fixed that small font problem.

13. mboog12

mboog12 Member

May 19, 2014
    #73 mboog12, May 27, 2014
    Last edited: May 27, 2014
    Hey TokyoDan,

You mentioned that I should be watching the comments, on another site. Yes, I'm watching them :). As developers, we both know that only by customer feedback we can identify the areas that need improvement in our products.

Regarding the update for retina/non-retina fonts : there is a second update in the making. Unfortunately, there is no simple flag to be checked and just rebuild the game (the small fonts on retina were no mistake, that's how they were supposed to be). We expect the 2nd update to hit the AppStore in about 10 days or so.

You've mentioned you're a developer. I can explain a bit more technical how we do the fonts in the Frontline. First and foremost, the smaller fonts on retina are not a mistake. Actually the chars have the same pixel size on both screen types. Because the Dots per Inch on retina screens is higher than DPI on non-retina, the physical size of characters on retina screen is smaller. A more simple explanation would be: the pixels on retina screens are more 'crowded'.

We wanted to keep a very minimalistic UI because it was in tone with our artistic style. By doing that we may have scaled down the fonts a bit too much?
    Yes, we have tested the application on all kinds of devices (from Iphone4 to Ipad Air). We knew the fonts are smaller on retina screen, but for us the font size seemed acceptable (though the designer occasionally used a magnifying glass to tap the units, weird!). We didn't think this will be a big issue for other people.

Anyway, I am sorry the fonts are too small for you to play the game. I have promised we will make them bigger and we will address this issue in the very next release.
    Hopefully that will settle the issue! :D

Yours truly,
    Marius

14. steviebwoy

steviebwoy Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2011
    e-Systems Analyst
    Cornwall, UK
    I'd really like to see Pass & Play local multiplayer added to this title. What are the chances, do you think?

15. mboog12

mboog12 Member

May 19, 2014
    Pass&Play ? I don't know what it means :(. Is it like hotseat?

16. Sotoro

Sotoro Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    Really Great Game, but all the icons, for example the infos about the dmg in a Battle (numbers under the Units) Are Way to small on my iPad Mini Retina here. Hope That You will fix this One soon.

17. Defard

Defard Well-Known Member

May 25, 2011
    UK
    A few things for the devs.

1. Undo button and the ability to deselect powers like sniper, molotovs etc.
    2. Text boxes that display out of the screen (e.g when selecting enemy units at the top of the screen it doesn't display the full text box)
    3. Quality control. Crashing on my ipad 4..inability to save and on the first expansion pack one of the objectives just says "optional" with no description to what you have to do

18. Someone recommended this game to me, so getting this and Battleheart Legacy today, look forward to playing both for sure.

19. Defard

Defard Well-Known Member

May 25, 2011
    UK
    Any news on a patch for the crashing?

I purchased the DLC and it crashes every single time i try to start the mission

20. Slitherine Iain

Apr 10, 2011
    I'm not sure if that issue is addressed so can you give details on exactly what you see and your device/OS.