Frenzic - Pot calling the kettle black?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by BrettArchibald, Dec 16, 2008.

1. BrettArchibald

BrettArchibald Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Male
    Self-employed interactive designer.
    Formerly Zimbabwe - now England.
    Talk about the pot calling the kettle black — and then the pot going and jumping in a huge big barrel of black paint! Or something...

Have a look at the closing paragraph for this article, written by Gedeon Maheux from the Iconfactory, about their Frenzic game and its icon:
    http://gedblog.com/2008/12/01/why-icons-matter/

[​IMG]

Then what do I see in my Updated Apps RSS feed this morning? A link to this in the App Store:

[​IMG]

2. Chiller ONE

Chiller ONE Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    Haha, everyone knows the guys at the Iconfactory are crazy, I mean they're charging 9.99 for Twitterrific Premium.

3. Well spotted. I wonder what they'd say if someone brought this contradiction to their attention.

4. gedeonm

gedeonm New Member

Dec 16, 2008
    Icon Designer
    Colfax, NC
    I'd ask you all to please read my rationale for why we did this over at my blog. You might not agree, but at least you'll understand why we did it and why I went along with it.

http://gedblog.com/2008/12/16/switching-hats/

Thanks.

5. Hello there Qedeonm. Welcome to TA, and thank you for posting the link to your article.
    After reading it, I can understand why you have done so.
    Without your explanation, I think you'll agree it looked a bit of a contradiction on your part, with what your first said. But you have rectified that in this new one.
    The only thing I don't like is when the app logo says 'Sale' in my iTunes library too.
    Thanks for posting- I hope you'll be a regular.

6. BrettArchibald

Jul 17, 2008
    Male
    #6 BrettArchibald, Dec 16, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2008
    For the record Ged, I completely agree with you on the "need" to make your icon stand out, even if makes you feel like a cheap pimp whoring out your beloved icon. I'm a designer first and foremost too, and as much as I don't like the SALE badges emblazoned across app icons, I understand the need for them.
    But I've felt that way all along, and I just found the sudden 180-degree turn in your approach somewhat hypocritical — especially as before I posted this earlier this morning, I did actually check your blog to see if you had posted an article about this, but there was none. And it was your quietness on the subject that you had spoken out against that prompted me to post it.
    I can only assume then that your most recent post was published after I posted this.

Game-buyers, especially on the App Store it seems, love a bargain, and developers want their on-sale app to stand out from a million miles away when lumped together with everyone else's apps that aren't on sale — and sometimes you have to do whatever it takes in order to achieve that.

7. BrettArchibald

Jul 17, 2008
    Male
    Yes, that's rather unfortunate, but not THAT big a deal. More importantly, and thankfully, the smaller version of the icon that you see when you transfer the app to your iPhone does not include this.
    I wish Apple could separate the local-iTunes icon from the App-Store icon in a similar way...

8. yes I am glad too that the app icon on the device is seperate, and so doesn't have to include the 'sale' sign.