freeappaday.com is NOT free for developers!!!

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by MindJuice, Jan 22, 2010.

1. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

I already asked myself when you will show up, Flickitty... really. ;)

I thought of you because you said something a while ago: after participating on the Appventcalendar, your sales dropped massively and you didn't got much sales in the weeks after your game went free for a day - don't know if you have recovered yet.
    That is one main thing to take in mind.

2. All comments in this read are my opinion only.

I, on the other hand, do entirely understand why developers are doing this. They simply want exposure and are willing to pay for it in some cases.

My problem with them is not about the service they are offering or the end results they may or may not provide. It is about HOW they are doing business.

I think the way ICS Mobile has organized and run the site is dishonest and shady.

They took a perfectly respectable promotional vehicle in the Appvent Calendar and turned it into something ugly.

They tell users to give 5 star ratings whether the game deserves it or not. They are manipulating people to keep the cash flowing. It would come as a shock to many on the other free games thread to know how freeappaday.com works.

When questioned on their business practices here on this thread, they provided basically no response.

They don't say anything on the website that developers have to pay for making their games free, even on the sign-up/info page. They said in this thread that they offer some sort of first time developers submissions for free. Really? Why isn't that in your press release or on your web site? Sounds like something that you'd want to let developers know.

Why the secrecy with the cost and rules? I think it is because if people knew what they were doing, then many would be put off by it, which would affect the number of downloads and could reduce the amount of money they can charge. In my opinion, if you can't do business openly and honestly then you're not worth doing business with.

I don't expect to know every detail about how a company makes its money, however, I do think people have a right/responsibility to know the ethics of the companies they do business with, even if that business is just downloading free apps.

And what's all this talk about hosting for that site being expensive? I have unlimited traffic on all my sites for $4/month with www.1and1.com. Even if a better server is required, it certainly won't be any sort of prohibitive cost. Maybe $100/month for a dedicated box?

3. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Yeah alright, there have been some decent posts made in support of your site but you don't need to keep spamming it.

4. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

What, no way, I'd give you an Axe body spray powered double pits to chesty fist pound anytime.

5. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    also of note is that at this early stage, the value ad of the service for dropping to free is relatively small.

Depending on the quality of your app, many apps chart after going to free even without any special promotion. Several sites chart price drops and free drops, for example. Obviously, if they get more popular, the value ad will be greater.

arn

6. ICS Mobile

ICS Mobile Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2009
    wow where's that coming from..I just closed my case and I will not revisit it unless someone asks me a specific question but I pretty much laid it all out...

7. ICS Mobile

Aug 1, 2009
    #67 ICS Mobile, Jan 22, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
    Not all developers are paying for the service number one! and still it's a paid game that is offered for free by the developer to the end user, the service does not ultimately guarantee a return for the Developers, they are still taking a chance here...and think of is as donation as far as I am concerned there's nothing wrong with that! And there is no secrecy if a developer contact me I will give him the rate..and by the way have you seen any rates for advertisement displayed on toucharcade? We are an adversisement platform if you read the pre-announcement press releases that's exactly how it was framed if you read our info section, you will see that it's mentioned that the platform is a promotional platform it's written on the site, it's been there since the site started ...check it out info section!

"FreeAppsDay.com provides an unparalleled promotional platform for developers since their application icons will remain available to our daily visitors for up to a full month."

8. Vester

Vester Well-Known Member

Exactly, as people have been saying this is excellent marketing for your company. People may be inclined to check out your other apps and maybe even get the game that was free for full price after your one day.

9. Harpgliss

Harpgliss Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Here No More
    Hi,

I am not a developer but I do have an opinion on this issue I would like to express.

Charging for your service is not something I have an issue with, the fact the developer has to make their app free to take advantage of your service is not sitting well with me.

The developer is out the money they pay to you as well as money they might have earned in sales by taking adavantage of your service, for the potential of raising sales after the promotion.

Does anyone have stats that this is actually helping and worth the outlay of money to the developer, in future sales?

These are rough times for all of us, developer or customer and this just feels a little like taking advantage of the rough economic times we live in.

I cannot say this approach is wrong but I do feel it is one I am not comfortable supporting for reasons I have brought up here as well as others posted throughout this thread.

Apologies if I am wrong for posting in the developer forum and not being a developer but I felt strong enough in the topic to risk it.

David

10. aros2k

aros2k Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2010
    ICS, why not include a second free game every day as was on the original appvent calender that is just shown on your site for one day for a much lower fee to reach out to the smaller developers?

11. I feel people have a responsibility to call out those who they believe are behaving inappropriately. Also, I don't feel the tone of my post was angry. Incredulous? Yes. Disappointed in my fellow indie developers? Absolutely.

I hereby recant the two extra exclamation points. :)

I believe that you should make it your business to know something about who you deal with. Maybe the corner store you shop at sells drugs out of the back. If you found that out would you keep shopping there, or is it not your business as a just a shopper? Of course my example is a bit of hyperbole, but I think it makes the point.

There is much more to it than just the fact that they have charges, as I have pointed out in other posts in this thread.

12. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

so let me get this straight: appventcalendar was free but freeappaday isnt?

13. Absolutely true as well. I believe that in the long run, ICS is doing the entire indie community a disservice in order to profit themselves in the short term.

14. ICS Mobile

Aug 1, 2009
    We have the featured free app or featured paid app section that are available as well for much cheaper...again developers contact me and I provide them with the pricing for all sections.

15. Flickitty

Flickitty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    I didn't participate in the AppventCalender, but I just did a quick check for about a dozen app that I remember from that Appvent, and guess what? EVERY APP I CHECKED HAS NOT SEEN THE TOP 100 IN ANY CATEGORY IN THE LAST MONTH. Most are sub-#200.

No, Flickitty has not recovered from being free, and I do not expect that it ever will (for various reasons).

I'm DONATING all my sales to Haiti for the week (starting Tues), and I think I've raised about $40 so far (maybe more including todays sales).

My numbers have never been secret, in fact they are right there in black and white for everyone to see.

16. Flickitty

Flickitty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    Um, how about no?

I have an idea. How about you PAY me $600, and I won't tell developers to avoid this scheme? Oh hell with it, I'm gonna tell them anyway.

Too bad I didn't find out about this 2 days ago, I was just a panelist at a convention. Oh, wait... I have emails and business cards.

17. bravetarget

bravetarget Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    You're absolutely right, but when did ICS sign a contract that he has to provide services that only benefit the indie community?

If he is making a good amount of money since the site went live, he should stick to it and not change his approach, especially just to favor the little guys.

18. Johannes

Johannes Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2009
    Bingo.

19. And thank goodness it is a businees and not just a hobby, but wouldn't you rather do business with people who deal with you and your customers honestly and openly rather than someone that hides details of how their operation works from you?

When I got the email from ICS telling me that I was lucky enough to get the $600 "deal", I was absolutely shocked. I think more than anything, that is responsible for my strong reaction. There was no mention or indication anywhere on their site or in their press releases that I might have to pay even a penny. I assumed that the site would operate the same as Appvent Calendar, and that they advertising and affiliate earnings would more than compensate them for the very minimal work that a sight like this would entail once it is setup and running. I think having read some of the responses here, that it is fair to say many others assumed the same thing.

I am in this business to make money too, but I choose to do so in an ethical and honest manner, and I feel an obligation to my fellow indie developers to let them know if I find someone that I believe is acting unethically.

20. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #80 Vovin, Jan 22, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2010

Sorry, remembered that wrong with the Appventcalendar. Still you made your game 2 days free, got huge amounts of downloads and your truly nice and unique game "Flickitty" never recovered really.
    That is the real shame.