freeappaday.com is NOT free for developers!!!

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by MindJuice, Jan 22, 2010.

1. steelfires

steelfires Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2010
    Candy Mountain, Charlie!
    Like the app for today? Sorry 2 posts. It was laggy so posted again.

2. ICS Mobile

ICS Mobile Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2009
    FAAD Booth At GDC

Game Developers Conference Confirmation:

We will have a booth at the iPhone summit!

3. Harpgliss

Harpgliss Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Here No More
    Hi,

I am not understanding the whole award thing.

Is there money involved, a shiny trophy, is the winner promoted free for a longer time on your site, allowed to use graphic as part of their advertising?

I am just not sure what this does for the winner.

What I see is you design a graphic, allow the winner to use that graphic to show their accomplishment as being awarded this award.

Now all I get from allowing them to use the graphic is this is a new way to promote your site and am not seeing a concrete benefit for the winner, like a cash prize or a longer time being promoted by your site for free.

I do not have an issue with the above but the way this has been presented and the lack of details on what goes with winning this leaves one to guess at the details and motivations behind it.

Transparency in communications would do wonders for those who have knocked this.

Give a person a reason to doubt and they will, just a human trait.

David

4. ICS Mobile

Aug 1, 2009
    #384 ICS Mobile, Mar 2, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
    :....think conceptually about the academy awards and you can answer your own question (note: I am not saying that FAAD is the equivalent of the academy awards of course!!)

5. You figured it out! From what I've seen, everything that this guy does is only intended to promote FAAD and to help himself. There is no benefit to the developer to win this "award".

And the FAAD Cares Initiative? Please! What a bunch of BS! In my opinion, this guy doesn't care about charities except as a means to try to increase his bottom line.

6. Stroffolino

Stroffolino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    What's wrong with a little self promotion? It's not like you aren't prominently featuring Charmed on freeAppCalender.

7. ICS Mobile

Aug 1, 2009
    #387 ICS Mobile, Mar 2, 2010
    OK, you are the one who started this thread and I offered you a free spot because this entire issue started from a misunderstanding and you accepted it! then you realized ( I helped you realize!) that it was going to create a backlash so you decided not to do it and better you decided that it was a great idea and you moved to work to replicate the concept with www.freeappcalendar.com, and I even supported you and offered to help! I can post our email conversation here for everyone to see and then everyone will be able to know who is really who! And I won't even bother to reply to the charity issue....

8. Nothing except that it is against TA forum rules to promote another business (other than your own apps).

ICS has received an infraction from TA for it already. I did too, but I wasn't aware of the policy at the time.

9. ICS Mobile

Aug 1, 2009
    Listen TA would have banned me by now, and no I did not receive any infractions but guess what:

tiki totem went from $40/day to $3000/day
    pollywog went from no traction to mucho traction
    cocoto kart iBomber etc....

I am helping devs make more money and you should know that by now...and by the way you've been promoting www.FreeAppcalendar.com as well,which is not helping anyone so far but hopefully sometimes soon! so if that's the case you should listen to your own advice!

10. Wrong. I had started my own site long before you offered me a free slot. I told you in advance I was working on a similar site to give devs the same opportunity for FREE, and you still wanted to feature my game.

It seemed a little bit weird, but I was encouraged by the fact that you had apologized and I decided to give you the benefit of the doubt and "bury the hatchet". I don't think it would have caused any "backlash", but when you changed your mind, it was not big deal to me. I hadn't had time to put out the update to Charmed I was planning anyway.

I have copies of the emails too. I have nothing to hide.

I would ask that a moderator please close this thread. It has served its purpose and now it is only being used to ICS Mobile to promote their site against TA rules.

11. Harpgliss

Nov 8, 2009
    Here No More
    Hi,

Mindjuice is not charging developers for being promoted on his site and then asking them to make the app free, after paying the fee.

You are entirely right about self promotion, as long as one is upfront about it and not making a pretense of being charitable.

If it is a business, call it a business.

The site that Mindjuice has set up, near as I can tell and read, can be considered a charitable situation.

As for ICS Mobile using the Academy Award analogy, certainly takes a certain arrogance for even using it.

I know, there was no comparison, ICS Mobile said so, but still used the analogy.

Kind of like a judge telling a jury to disregard a piece of testimony after they have heard it, it is already out there.

You cannot unwind or ignore something already put out there.

From my comments here, I do not mean to take away from those developers who have benefited from this service.

David

12. Just a minor correction. The main app calendar is entirely free for all developers, but I will have some paid banner opportunities after the site gets going, but they won't cost anything like $600-$1,200/day, and they are 100% optional.

13. Honestly you are freaking unbelievable! You just don't stop! I won't bother to requote your promotional materials though.

14. Harpgliss

Nov 8, 2009
    Here No More
    Hi,

Thanks for the information.

Good luck with things.

David

15. mobile1up

mobile1up Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    delete all the threads?

why not just lock all threads like this - it is of very little value to many developers. hell; why dont we all setup a website like this so we can cross-promote our own applications or even charge money..

if someone was to do this right; then they should make it 100% free and remove any premium space/advertising from it.. pretty much ala google style. while MindJuice is doing a good thing - he still advertises his own games prominently on his website which makes it no different from what ICS Mobile is doing honestly.

i am bored of this crap already - moving along.

16. #396 MindJuice, Mar 2, 2010
    The only problem with making it 100% free is that it costs money to create and maintain a site like this and to grow the visitor count high enough to make it useful.

Also, my apps are only featured while the site is under construction. In the end, I won't give any more priority to my own apps than those of any other developer (but course I won't charge myself either).

But I agree, would a moderator PLEASE close this thread?

17. Pamx

Pamx Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2009
    UK
    Just before this thread gets closed (and I think it probably ought to) I would just like to say that we're all here for the same reason - ie; to promote our games and, hopefully, make some money. There are many ways of achieving this and we're pretty much all learning the ropes together. Is there a difference between Haiti relief 'charity' sites conspiculously advertising the wares of the main organisers/contributors and what FAAD is doing? Personally, I'd rather go with FAAD who's motivation (to me anyway) is far more transparent & way less distasteful. In the battle for visibility in this crazily cluttered App Store, we all have to make choices and they're not all easy ones.

18. ICS Mobile

Aug 1, 2009
    Oops, about my offer to give "free" spot to TA members who join in FAAD a couple of weeks before I launched! Yes you are right! But I never received any notice, that's why I never understood why they closed the thread in the first place...

19. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

We have rules against bumping threads. If you and everyone else would stop arguing with ICS Mobile the thread would die on its own. Look at how many times you've posted on this page of the thread alone.

20. Harpgliss

Nov 8, 2009
    Here No More
    #400 Harpgliss, Mar 2, 2010
    Hi,

Hodapp, have you actually gone through the thread and seen who has kep the thread alive?

Everytime ICS Mobile has something to promote, there is a new post by them doing so bumping the thread.

Mindjuice has, as the OP, requested the mods to close the thread at least a few times.

This is really the one way to keep the post bumping from happening.

David