Free memory for your iPod Touch/iPhone

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Herp, Jan 13, 2009.

1. Vende

Vende Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    I don't understand this app. So basically it clears memory (which rebooting does) and gives you a somewhat accurate battery reading? Seems like a waste of money to me.

2. spmwinkel

spmwinkel Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    I really hope that there will be a free Appsniper and a free Free Memory.
    For some reason it doesn't seem to make sense to pay for an app that has the point of saving money on apps. And Free Memory sounds like a tool that would have 5 free versions on the Windows Mobile platform by now. Someone with a developer license could create an app that simply frees memory when you press the app icon, and simply lets you stay at your homescreen. No interface, no additional features. That would be perfect for me.

3. mattyduk

mattyduk Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2008
    I caved in and bought it. Basically it stops you having to do a 20 second reboot. just run the app, clear memory, start playing a game. much quicker, and all for 59p. A new version (1.5) will clear even more memory as it's designed for playing games.

4. cptlockheed

cptlockheed Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    IT professional since the 80's
    Finland
    Well, time is money as they say... the savings in boot times is worth the app price alone. Also there are some apps that crash more easily than others - releasing memory before launching have made them more stable.

In addition to using Free Memory, one also needs to force-close ipod and safari. Only then the whole 40 megs can be freed. It would be nice if the app could automate that too.

5. Tennisking1o1

Tennisking1o1 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    some say appsniper basically pays for itself in 1 purchase.

I agree with what you're saying, I haven't purchased either, as well, hoping they will go down to free for a limited time or until I cave, and I don't buy THAT many apps to need to be checking 30 apps for price drops, so it's ind of useless to me right now. Toucharcade supplies me with all the update and price drop info i need :D

6. Way I do it for FREE is turn off fetching in mail settings. I set it to manual. Anyway say you opened safari and instead of rebooting. Press HOME takes you to first screen. Press SAFARI to open it. Hold HOME button 6 seconds to force quit out of SAFARI which doesn't leave SAFARI running in the background frees up the memory. Play game. I do reboot my ipod every 3 or 4 days though.

7. Myrobotwillneverdie

Myrobotwillneverdie Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    SEPDX
    A reviewer for this app stated, " this is wasteful, if you touch your phones time, and anywhere else on the screen at the same time, a pie chart showing usage levels and it's own free memory button pops up".

Can anyone tell me if this is real. I've tried a ton of combinations, to no avail.
    Also, why won't apple allow the batt. indicator?

Thanks!!

8. supg328911

supg328911 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    pro ping pong player!!!!
    USA BABY
    just tried it and got nothing, i think its just some bs...