Free memory for your iPod Touch/iPhone

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Herp, Jan 13, 2009.

1. Herp

Herp Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Coram, New York
  2. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Meh, I've only filled up my iPod halfway. I guess with someone that has a lot of stuff, this app'd be pretty useful, but if that's the case, then they really should just get a Classic :S

3. Herp

Herp Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Coram, New York
    No, not actual memory, RAM memory for running programs. :p

This app helps clear up some of the processes taking your RAM which is making your idevice run slower.

4. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008

No, I know (20 megs makes it kinda obvious), but you usually won't have any trouble unless you have alot of junk on the device. Might be wrong, though...

5. istopmotion

istopmotion Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    I have it and I love it. Haven't had a crashing problem (unless it was a bug within the app) in forever since I started using it.

I really like how it tells you how much battery you have left too. The battery at the top of the screen is not always too accurate. :S

Definitely worth the $1, especially if you're having lots of crashing problems. Highly recommended app ;)

6. everlast

everlast Member

Dec 4, 2008
    It does free up some of the memory and the new update shows the running processes and battery level. It tells me which application is running background, and Safari is the biggest ram eater :p It becoming a habit for me to check how many free memory left on my iphone :)

7. Herp

Herp Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Coram, New York
    #7 Herp, Jan 13, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
    I don't have a lot of crashing problems, but I want/need the extra speed for web browsing/framerates. :)

Yeah, the battery is extremely inaccurate, especially while playing heavy-on-battery games. For instants, while playing Fastlane, my battery went down to the 20% warning, so I quit and played Rolando. After playing Rolando for 30 minutes I quit the app and saw I had around 30-40% left.

I think it determines how much you have left if you continue doing that process, more than actual battery length.

8. istopmotion

istopmotion Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    I think the app would be worth it. I check it several times a day ;)

Also, I think you're right about the battery.

9. Herp

Herp Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Coram, New York
    Yeah, I think I'll pick it up. After all, it's only a buck.

Or I could I skip this and get iFart... BWAAHAAHAA! Not even if my life depended on it.

10. Fubit86

Fubit86 Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2008
    STUDENT
    Seattle, WA
    Does it show battery life with a PERCENT? That app called "My battery" has to be the best jailbreak app ever invented, lol.

11. schplurg

schplurg Well-Known Member

Does this free up memory the same as a reboot does? I know a reboot takes some time though, at least on my phone, so if this app is faster then it may be worth checking out.

12. Herp

Herp Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Coram, New York
    Yeah, same way. Except you can actually see the processes, it's faster, and it has an ACCURATE battery display.

13. mikec24red

mikec24red Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    it seems like a lot of people that found this app useful had iphones? maybe because theres a lot more that is running processes?

are there any people with an ipod touch that got this and found this app to be helpful?

14. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

I do, and it is. I have cut my crashes by 75% with this app. I hate rebooting, and this does the same thing, so when you install a new app, you don't have to reboot. Open this, click free memory, and you have the stability of a reboot, without the time wasting. Extremely fast, and I recommend that this dev releases a ton of apps for displaying all sorts of basic info about the device. This is a great app, and the new icon is much better. Not great, but better.

15. mikec24red

mikec24red Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    So when you click "free memory", the app is basically closing apps like safari that are using ram memory in order to free up more ram memory?
    And is the battery indicator icon accurate at all?

16. Herp

Herp Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Coram, New York
    Yes, it ends processes that you aren't using.

Yes, the battery is accurate.

17. thinkdontpray

thinkdontpray Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    i rarely have problems with crashes or stuttering framerates/slow downs, but im going to go ahead and shell out a buck for this app

will come in handy when i go to boot up noise.io or beatmaker

18. Bitgod

Bitgod Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Guess I'll try it for a buck since more people seem to like it.

I find it interesting that on my jailbraked phone, the SBSetting says it has 19MB free. Free memory is bouncing between 3.8MB and 4.1MB, so I hit the button and now it says 20MB free, SBSettings still says 19MB. I wonder which is telling the truth.

19. Diablohead

Diablohead Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Freelancer, PC game developer
    The app might be rounding off the number to the highest Meg, or the way it checks for memory could be a few percent off, who knows. I would worry if one app said 12 and the other said 40.

20. mattyduk

mattyduk Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2008
    like the look of this but will wait for the 1.5 version to hit the appstore